kaitlinwestbroek

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the new Teavanna variety does not look better...

Passion Tango Herbal Tea

IngredientsHibiscus flowers, cinnamon, candied papaya pieces (papaya, sugar), rose hips, apple pieces, lemongrass, natural and artificial flavoring, blackberry leaves, candied mango pieces (mango, sugar), rose petals

• Moderators

I just started Whole30 today and also love the Tazo Passion Tea. I just checked the ingredients online though and it has "fruit juice extract (color)" I'm not sure I would consider this compliant under Whole30.

As far as I know, the fruit juice extract is okay on W30.

If you want a similar flavor without it, look for just hibiscus tea, or even dried hibiscus flowers that you can use to make tea. It's not quite the same, obviously, since there are other ingredients in the Passion tea, but it's the primary flavor. I'm sure other brands also have passion-tea like mixes, you'd just have to look. Or get inventive and make your own blends -- hibiscus flowers with dried orange peel and rose hips, maybe? 

• 2 months later...

I went to get a Passion iced tea two days ago and confirmed that it had no sugar.  The server said that they do put simple syrup in the iced tea.  Crap! I drink the Tazo passion tea hot all the time and that is just tea.  Fortunately Starbucks said they can leave the syrup out if needed.  Still... :wacko: So unnecessary.

• 2 months later...

You cannot trust any source telling you something is compliant, including this forum. :) You have to check at the site to make sure they are not adding something off-plan.

This question has been discussed here before too: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18496-compliant-starbucks/

Unless maybe, the source is Melissa H. herself? She posted on Instagram very recently and confirmed that the this unsweetened passion tea is complaint. She went to starbucks, asked for the box and read the ingredients bc so many followers asked. So it would seem, kaitlinwestbroek, you're just fine =)

• Administrators

Unless maybe, the source is Melissa H. herself? She posted on Instagram very recently and confirmed that the this unsweetened passion tea is complaint. She went to starbucks, asked for the box and read the ingredients bc so many followers asked. So it would seem, kaitlinwestbroek, you're just fine =)

Sort of.  I get why Melissa posting this makes it "ok" for many........but Starbucks is not beholden to her to advise when they change their ingredients.  Maybe it will never have sugar in it but that doesn't mean that they won't one day look to cut costs or change suppliers and start using filler like corn starch or soy.  Really and truly, regardless of who says it's fine, you need to check.

• 1 year later...

As ladyshanny has said above you'll have to check with Starbucks and see if you can read the ingredients on the box as it could be that the ingredients have changed - it happens with food manufacturers all the time, and ingredients can vary from region to region and from country to country according to food laws - plus this thread is 2yrs old - a lot can happen in two years..... 

Archived