Do you think I need to start over??

jale_g

When I started I read all about the rule vs recommendations and thought I understood them.  Well, today I decided to drink some 100% Naked Juice. Then I got on the forum to read more about it and am getting very mixed answers.  Technically, would I still be compliant and therefore not have to start over??? (I won't do it again- promise! :) I read this on the rules: 

Fruit Juice: Yes. Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

GFChris

Whole9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4511 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

jalvarez3312, on 07 Jan 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:snapback.png

KatMar - thank you so much for the reply! That all makes sense. I am not a huge kale lover, but I know it has a lot of health benefits - that's why I was trying to squeeze it in my juice. I think I will stick to spinach in my omelette and try to limit the juice to maybe 2-3 times a wk.

Cooking with juice as a flavoring in a Whole30 is fine. Drinking it as a beverage is not.

Again, we want to you eat/chew fruit, and limit it to 1-2 servings a day.  A fruit serving is whole fruit in the size of your fist.

• Administrators

Drinking compliant juice is definitely frowned upon for many of the reasons that have been posted here.  Is it a cause for complete restart? No.  You did not break your nutritional reset, you just made a less than optimal choice.  

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1988-vegetable-and-fruit-juices/?p=84820

We would strongly encourage you not to drink your calories.

When I started I read all about the rule vs recommendations and thought I understood them.  Well, today I decided to drink some 100% Naked Juice. Then I got on the forum to read more about it and am getting very mixed answers.  Technically, would I still be compliant and therefore not have to start over??? (I won't do it again- promise! :) I read this on the rules: 

Fruit Juice: Yes. Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

Glad you don't have to start over.    After 30 days,  drinking juice will taste like honey out of a container.   I couldn't drink straight juice before W30 ...I'd pour 3/4 water and 1/4 juice.  If I tried it now...well, I couldn't.

I ate a mint.  I ate a mint! On complete accident after finishing my coffee before my workout with my friends.  Two hours later I realized I had gone off-plan.  I could cry.  I am on Day 6 and I have been DILIGENT and I can't believe one teeny mint makes me start over.  :(

The book is your best resource and the forum here.

jrc ate a mint....uh oh.  Are you ready?  kickbutt.gif     Sugar-full or sugar-free?     You care, I can tell by your post.  You wouldn't've have come clean if you didn't care.   I'm not the W30 POPO...so I'm leaving this up to you and a Mod.  Great job on being diligent.  You'll make it.

Answer #2: Yes, because you made a commitment to yourself.

Don’t start over because we want you to—start over because you promised yourself you’d see this through, and we want you to honor that commitment. You decided to push the reset button on your health, your habits, and your relationship with food, and change your life through the Whole30. So see that commitment through.

If you make an off-plan choice during the 30 days, we want you to want to start over. Because you said you would. Because you owe it to yourself. Because you deserve it. Because the sense of self-efficacy that comes with tackling something as daunting as the Whole30 will spill over into all of the other areas of your life, setting off a good-health-be-good-to-yourself chain reaction that never, ever has to end.

Start over because you demand better from yourself, and you love yourself enough to make it happen. But if this touchy-feely stuff isn’t working for you…

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/#sthash.hyM1j6Dw.dpuf

Answer #4: We can see a circumstance in which you wouldn’t.

The rule about added sugar is clear—you may consume none during the program. This isn’t because two grams of sugar in ketchup is going to send you spiraling into metabolic derangement or trigger an autoimmune response. It’s because we want you to be aware of how often companies sneak sugar into products, and to understand that a few grams here and a few grams there add up, and to teach you to read your labels, and to force you to look for (or make) healthier, sugar-free alternatives to your favorite products.

So maybe you find yourself at Mom’s house for dinner on Day 28 asking, “Hey Mom, any sugar in this salad dressing?” And your mom says no, all clear, and you have a lovely family dinner. And as you’re cleaning up, Mom says, “There wasn’t sugar, but there was honey—that’s not the same though, honey is natural.”

In this context, you’ve done everything you can do. You asked the right questions, got the right answers, and proceeded exactly on plan with the Whole30. As added sugar is unique in that it won’t disarm your “reset” button (and salad dressing isn’t likely to send you spiraling into sugar cravings), we can see a decision (especially on Day 28) to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Which brings us to the next point:

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/#sthash.hyM1j6Dw.dpuf

Answer #5: Do whatever you want, because you’re a grown-up.

Start over, don’t start over… it’s always up to you. We’re going to give you our best recommendations based on science and our vast experience, but no one is going to come to your house to check up on you, and no one is monitoring your Whole30 Daily emails to make sure you push the right button. The decision (like the consequences) are always yours and yours alone.

"no one is going to come to your house to check up on you, and no one is monitoring your Whole30 Daily emails to make sure you push the right button. The decision (like the consequences) are always yours and yours alone."

I did pretend that Melissa went to the grocery store with me in the beginning.  It really helped...but I pretend all kinds of things until they become a reality.   Or you could call it working your faith.  She was always watching me put the right foods into my cart and now I can do it on my own.   :D 

After I realized I ate a icebreakers mint (i could've cried, actually, I think I did a little bit) I did not throw in the towel and go get my french vanilla creamer and chips and peanut mm's. I came home and ate my broccoli beef lunch and I just finished a completely compliant dinner of chicken baked in almond flour with red peppers and zucchini.  So I'm not going to say I'm not starting over but I'm not going to say I am...I'm just going to keep on going....and going...

After all my reading, I've decided to keep going on and do the best I can. So with today being day 6- I definitely won't drink any more 100% juice. Since this is my first Whole30- I'm not going to start over because the information I'm reading on the Whole30 site say it is "technically" compliant to drink a glass of juice but, it's not recommended. So, technically I don't see that as a fail. (I know some of you do- and I can appreciate that.) I'm really starting to understand what they mean about rules vs recommendations. Like the whole snacking thing. I see that if I just continue to snack all day, even on Whole30 compliant foods, then I won't be breaking my bad habits. 

After all my reading, I've decided to keep going on and do the best I can. So with today being day 6- I definitely won't drink any more 100% juice. Since this is my first Whole30- I'm not going to start over because the information I'm reading on the Whole30 site say it is "technically" compliant to drink a glass of juice but, it's not recommended. So, technically I don't see that as a fail. (I know some of you do- and I can appreciate that.) I'm really starting to understand what they mean about rules vs recommendations. Like the whole snacking thing. I see that if I just continue to snack all day, even on Whole30 compliant foods, then I won't be breaking my bad habits. 

It's not a fail at all, especially since you caught it and are adjusting. That's the exact opposite of fail.

I don't consider it a fail.

The answers were for anyone out there who accidently ingests a mint or takes a sip of passion tea at a popular coffee place where baristas tell you it's sugarfree but if you look on the label, sugars are listed twice as cane sugar or something similar... maybe it was hf corn syrup....   Accidental sugar ingesting.  

The label says natural flavors - but those are sugars.  You have to really look at the fine print to find it.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (16 fl oz) Calories 80 Calories from Fat 0   % Daily Value* Total Fat 0g 0% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g   Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 10mg 0% Total Carbohydrate20g 7% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 20g

Welcome to your own private island, filled with hibiscus, apple, lemongrass, and natural tropical flavors. Our Shaken Iced Passion TangoTM Tea offers a delightful escape with every sip.

The Venti size has 30 grams of sugar  (only thing you see there is natural flavors..no sugar listed but it's there)

Nutrition Facts Per Serving (24 fl oz) Calories 120 Calories from Fat 0   % Daily Value* Total Fat 0g 0% Saturated Fat 0g 0% Trans Fat 0g   Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 15mg 1% Total Carbohydrate30g 10% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Sugars 30g   Protein 0g   Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 2% Iron 0% Caffeine 0mg**

• 2 years later...

On 2/6/2015 at 7:44 PM, MeadowLily said:

“There wasn’t sugar, but there was honey—that’s not the same though, honey is natural.”

In this context, you’ve done everything you can do. You asked the right questions, got the right answers, and proceeded exactly on plan with the Whole30. As added sugar is unique in that it won’t disarm your “reset” button (and salad dressing isn’t likely to send you spiraling into sugar cravings), we can see a decision (especially on Day 28) to chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. Which brings us to the next point...

I'm confused.
1. "Added sugar... won't disarm your reset button"-- what does that mean?
2. "..we can see a decision (especially on Day 28)...to move on"-- in other words, We'll allow it?

• Moderators

The thing about sugar is that it's disallowed not for its inflammatory properties, but for it's addictive properties and for learning how much it is in EVERYTHING... even things that shoudln't have sugar in them (for example, hello sweetened applesauce??)  So when saying it doesn't 'reset  your reset', that's to do with your gut.

We (we being the whole30 creators, staff and moderators) don't 'allow it', but we do understand that adults are capable of making their own decisions... in the example above, the point was that it won't reset the gut reset but it's not likely that a tablespoon of salad dressing is going to send someone into a down hill sugar spiral ending in a gallon of oreo ice cream...

We ALWAYS stand behind starting over 100% of the time, but since we can't enforce it, we do give people the tools to decide for themselves.... an accidental sugar misstep in some salad dressing on the second to last day is quite different from choosing to eat a cookie on day 10... 

On 5/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

The thing about sugar is that it's disallowed not for its inflammatory properties, but for it's addictive properties and for learning how much it is in EVERYTHING... even things that shoudln't have sugar in them (for example, hello sweetened applesauce??)  So when saying it doesn't 'reset  your reset', that's to do with your gut.

We (we being the whole30 creators, staff and moderators) don't 'allow it', but we do understand that adults are capable of making their own decisions... in the example above, the point was that it won't reset the gut reset but it's not likely that a tablespoon of salad dressing is going to send someone into a down hill sugar spiral ending in a gallon of oreo ice cream...

We ALWAYS stand behind starting over 100% of the time, but since we can't enforce it, we do give people the tools to decide for themselves.... an accidental sugar misstep in some salad dressing on the second to last day is quite different from choosing to eat a cookie on day 10... 

Thank you!

Archived