Hypothyroid, exercise and food

I'd like to work out first thing in the morning but I can't eat within about 45 min of waking and taking my meds. I'm just back to exercise and won't be doing anything too strenuous, just weight lifting and a bit of cardio. Is it ok to not have the pre/post workout snack so that I can hit the gym early?

• Moderators

I'm in the same boat with thyroid meds and have no problem working out first thing on an empty stomach. I do, however, have a post workout snack before my proper meal one on days that I lift (immediately following workout, before showering and getting dressed. Then I have M1 after that.) 

Everyone has to figure out what works best for them. Give it a shot and see how you feel.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same boat, and work out fasted all of the time.  Just coffee and BCAA's that are plain.  I think I am going to try to add the post workout snack, then meal one a little later. I am only on day 2, but getting afternoon cravings.  Still not sure if it is hunger, or behavioral.  I think the post workout snack might help with this.

• 10 months later...

I actually set an alarm to go of a few hours before I wake up. I take my meds, go to the ladies room and go back to sleep. That way I can eat what ever I want in the morning. If I work out to hard on an empty tummy it makes me sick. But if it is a light work out I think its totally fine. Like some yoga or a wonderful walk. Just drink plenty of water 1st then eat when you are done. Fine what works best for you and do it. If im hitting the weight or doing legit cardio I have to eat at least something small or it ruins my work out. We are all different.

Archived