BBQ sauce

WWGD?

I'm aiming to kick off my first whole30 in a few days.

I'm looking for a BBQ sauce that works withing the program...

Any suggestions, even if it's a recipe - I'll make my own gallon of the goo to get me through.

Thanks all

I've been dying to try this brand, but haven't been able to bring myself to fork out the money for it... Most of the recipes I found online had too many ingredients, so I cobbled one together out of desperation and limited resources. The recipe's at the end of my blog post here. It's not perfect, but it'll do in a pinch. You'll have to omit the Worcestershire though.

WWGD

The book, "It Starts With Food" has a BBQ sauce recipe in it. It is highlighted on the coloured pages in the middle and believe it is in the book somewhere around Page 270-280. I don't have my copy here at work today. I want to make it too but I am waiting for coconut aminos to arive after my online order.

Cheers

DJ

I've been dying to try this brand, but haven't been able to bring myself to fork out the money for it... Most of the recipes I found online had too many ingredients, so I cobbled one together out of desperation and limited resources. The recipe's at the end of my blog post here. It's not perfect, but it'll do in a pinch. You'll have to omit the Worcestershire though.

you know that price is for a 4 pack, right? you can get one bottle for 6.49

you know that price is for a 4 pack, right? you can get one bottle for 6.49

That looks good. When I pulled up that website I instantly thought about how I wouldn't hesitate to spend $20 on two mixed drinks when I was out or $20 for a bottle of wine to drink at home, but somehow spending a bit more on food seems to be a challenge sometimes. If I look at all the things I used to spend money on like a $5 latte, then $6.49 doesn't sound so bad... :)

That looks good. When I pulled up that website I instantly thought about how I wouldn't hesitate to spend $20 on two mixed drinks when I was out or $20 for a bottle of wine to drink at home, but somehow spending a bit more on food seems to be a challenge sometimes. If I look at all the things I used to spend money on like a $5 latte, then $6.49 doesn't sound so bad... :)

I was definitely comparing the cost of kombucha to the cost of a nice beer--hell even a Miller Lite--at a restaurant or bar yesterday. I felt almost guilty for buying 3 of them that I intend to spread over a week. Seems rather silly to think $3.50 is high for something that legit helps my body instead of legit hurts it.

Thanks for mentioning us! It's true that we're a bit more expensive than the giant jugs of sugar-filled barbecue sauce you'd buy at the supermarket. This is what happens when you make small batches and refuse to use low quality ingredients.

I'd love to help make your Whole30 more enjoyable. You can use the coupon code "WHOLE30" for 20% off your order if you order before Monday (September 3). Even with shipping, a 4-pack would cost $6.99 per bottle. It's still not quite as cheap as you'll find at Wal*Mart, but it'll do your physique a whole lot better.

If you do get some sauce, be sure to get in touch on our Facebook page and let me know what you think.

Good luck with your Whole30!

-Steve

Thanks for mentioning us! It's true that we're a bit more expensive than the giant jugs of sugar-filled barbecue sauce you'd buy at the supermarket. This is what happens when you make small batches and refuse to use low quality ingredients.

I'd love to help make your Whole30 more enjoyable. You can use the coupon code "WHOLE30" for 20% off your order if you order before Monday (September 3). Even with shipping, a 4-pack would cost $6.99 per bottle. It's still not quite as cheap as you'll find at Wal*Mart, but it'll do your physique a whole lot better.

If you do get some sauce, be sure to get in touch on our Facebook page and let me know what you think.

-Steve

Oh no! That may be too tempting even for my frugal butt. What's the shelf life of your sauce?

-Steve

AHHH I am so glad I came here looking for sauce.

I just invented one earlier this week. Of course, I didn't follow a recipe nor did I write anything down :) However, if you're up for experimenting the ingredient list went as follows: tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar, pineapple juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, liquid smoke, stone ground mustard, smoked paprika, allspice, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Basically I emptied a can of tomato sauce in a pan and let it simmer for a while. Then I added pineapple juice and a bit of vinegar and let everything simmer some more. Then I added all the rest, tasting as I went, and let things simmer yet again until it was slightly thick and the flavors were blended together. Any recipe will probably be similar; I like sweeter BBQ sauces, so the pineapple juice was perfect. The addition of allspice and cinnamon really lent a great flavor, as well.

• 3 weeks later...

-Steve

Damn I just missed the discount code....seems I am a day late on all the deals lately lol

I made this today & it's really good - I used only half the cayenne and I'm not keen on heat and I used the tin of pineapple.

I used half in his pulled pork recipe, and I froze the other half to do ribs or wings in another time.

http://civilizedcave...asty-bbq-sauce/

I made this the other day to accompany baby back ribs. I am very sensitive to heat and I should have known better....I used almost the whole amount of cayenne and my mouth was burning. In the end I added two small containers of diced peaches in juice to a small batch of the bbq sauce. It helped a little but my mouth still burned. Hubby, however, thinks the sauce is awesome. If I make it again I will only use a pinch of cayenne!

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, it turns out it's not Whole30 compliant because it contains white wine. Good stuff for after though.

I looked at the ingredients, looks like the wine comes in the dijon mustard....which several other Whole 30 recipes use as well.....Not sure if that disqualifies it or not...

Ingredients: Tomato Puree (Tomatoes, Water), Apple Puree (Apples, Water), Water, Apple Cider Vinegar, Dijon Mustard (Water, Mustard Seed, Salt, Wine, Vitamin C, Spices), Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor (Water filtered through smoke from burning hickory wood chips), Spices, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I looked at the ingredients, looks like the wine comes in the dijon mustard....which several other Whole 30 recipes use as well.....Not sure if that disqualifies it or not...

Bah just read the post above yours, guess it does disqualify it.....damn. Oh well I'll just use the stuff I made anyways.

Archived