Hello all!

Writing to you with some serious frustration...

I started my Whole30 Journey on January 1, 2015. It has been amazing.

I feel great and look even better (Seriously, I lost 20 pounds! Woot woot!).

But... I'm mad because I've never had skin issues in the past and now, I AM! UGH!

My husband and I cheated on SuperBowl Sunday (GO HAWKS!) and ate corn chips, gluten free pizza, mozerella, and salami and pepperoni. We also had a small bit of chocolate.

Well, on February 2, I went right back to Whole30... but noticed that I had a singular little itchy spot (eczema looking) forming on the upper portion of my left thigh. I didn't think much of it until later on mid-February the one spot got worse and it now spread from just my upper left thigh to mid back and dispersed randomly over my trunk/core.

I have to admit that I have slipped a few times in Febuary but relatively for the most part ate Whole30. I'm frustrated because I don't know if this is food related (reintroduction?) or maybe I'm eating in excess of something I wasn't before (almond butter?).

If I could count the number of spots I have now, I'd say there's 30 plus. Look like eczema, itch, and won't go away with hydrocortisone or essential oils. I'm back to strict Whole30 to see if this is food related... But wanted to see what you guys thought? Anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

Thank you in advance! <3

-Honey

• Administrators

But... I'm mad because I've never had skin issues in the past and now, I AM! UGH!

My husband and I cheated on SuperBowl Sunday (GO HAWKS!) and ate corn chips, gluten free pizza, mozerella, and salami and pepperoni. We also had a small bit of chocolate.

I have to admit that I have slipped a few times in Febuary 

What were your "slips"? Dairy is a common cause of skin conditions.  

For myself, I can have a tbsp of butter to cook something and my eczema flares up from zero to full blown right away.  

We sound like we have a lot in common. I've done a couple Whole30's (and a few Whole7s etc in there too) and just yesterday my doctor told me I have psoriasis. It's pretty mild- just looks like ashy knees and ankles. But it's only surfaced since I started doing Whole30s. It is frustrating for sure that our healthy eating seems to be making us sicker. But I don't think that's what's going on. I think we are making our bodies more in tune with what we're putting into them, and instead of these reactions lurking deep down inside, they are showing up where we can see them. You're going to have to troubleshoot your diet to see what the culprit is. My doc told me to eliminate nightshades (tomato, eggplant, peppers) for awhile, and coffee too, and see how it goes. Upon further study, I learned I should also eliminate eggs (yikes!) and nuts/seeds, at least until my body has healed. Do some searching into the autoimmune protocol (AIP), and yes, ask your doctor what's going on. Please don't give up on the Whole30. Trust me when I say I feel your pain. But whatever is going on can only be helped by putting good food into your body. You're just going to have to tinker a little bit to fine-tune your Whole30. Good luck!

• Moderators

I get patches of dermatitis on my right shin and belly every midwinter. No doctor has been able to diagnose it any more definitively than that and they prescribe various anti-itch and steroid creams. No dietary culprits or change in soap, detergent, etc. It goes away as the snow melts. I just live with it and use regular moisturizer.

Anyway, I second the notions to be careful with dairy and consider seeing a doc to rule out anything obvious to them. And keep in mind that they may give an unhelpful and inconclusive diagnosis such as general dermatitis.

One potentially obvious comment -- have you tried asking your general practitioner?  It could be that it's something else entirely.

ThyPeace, stating the obvious since 1904.

I took your advice (and my husbands) and went to a dermatologist yesterday, have a PCP appointment this afternoon, but she said I have something called pityriasis rosea which is essentially a viral skin rash that happens weeks after you've been sick. I'm an RN and have been sick twice in the last 3 months. Had a bad viral bug in December and then again in February... I noticed the first spot like I said near the end of my first Whole30.

I am still going to see my PCP because I'm curious if they can allergy test me for just gluten and dairy. But I appreciate all of your feedback and help everyone! :) I have not lost my faith in Whole30 one bit, but one of my friends said something like, Maybe you've cleaned your system out so well to what it SHOULD be operating at that you will see changes in your skin or other symptoms when you reintroduce things that you shouldn't/weren't natural in nature like in the caveman/paleo days.

Thank you again, I love this amazing support system and all of you! <3

...I have something called pityriasis rosea which is essentially a viral skin rash ...

So glad you found out what it was!  Your original description didn't sound like anything I'd ever heard of as a food reaction.  Actually, to me it sounded almost like poison ivy!  Which is why I just suggested a general "consult an expert" sort of thing.  I'm no doctor, that's for sure, and not even a nurse. 

And that you are an RN makes me say:  Boy, I'm glad people become nurses!  What a hard job, and so important!

ThyPeace, relaxing on the couch for her second 15 minutes of the day.  DH said he'd chop the breakfast veggies.  Yay husbands!

Honey - I was diagnosed with pityriasis in my teens, MANY years ago. I used to have regular flare ups. Then it stopped. They don't know all that much about it, particularly about the triggers. I remember asking my dermatologist why there was so little info and he told me there just wasn't the interest in the research community to find out and no priority funding for research. Oh, well. Waiting it out and using topical creams prescribed by a doc is the course of treatment. I just wonder whether it is the kind of thing where once you have the virus, it can remain dormant until something triggers it. Wish I knew what that was.

Archived