burgers?

frogtox

We're having a potluck next week at work and they're serving hot dogs and hamburgers. Are the hamburgers they generally buy for this sort of thing (think bulk boxes of frozen burgers) compliant? Or do they have fillers?

Now that I actually typed that, it almost sounds gross... I may opt to just bring my own food.. lol

• Administrators

It's really hard to determine compliance without seeing the box that they come in. I'll admit that due to hideous digestive reactions in days gone by, I choose not to eat "cheap bbq" hamburgers that come in the caselot boxes.

Get whomever is buying the product to show you the ingredients list. I would say almost positive the hot dogs are non compliant and more than likely the hamburgers won't be.

We're having a potluck next week at work and they're serving hot dogs and hamburgers. Are the hamburgers they generally buy for this sort of thing (think bulk boxes of frozen burgers) compliant? Or do they have fillers?

Now that I actually typed that, it almost sounds gross... I may opt to just bring my own food.. lol

My husband would tell you that all of the scraps are used for those boxed burgers.  He's been a certified meat grader for many years.  We think of them like cheap hotdogs.

We tried to help another member last year.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/page-2?hl=%2Bburger+%2Btessina#entry240840

I'm thinking about the quality of health in those 5 lb. rolls of burger.    The reason my husband and I suggest the brisket and chuck roast for your burger....we know it would be a vast improvement over the rolls.   Brisket

20090923Brisket.jpg

and chuck roast

20090923Chuck.jpg

are two of the most reasonably priced cuts of beef you can buy, but they're good quality.

This is the only way to know what is in your hamburger.

I think the best meat for burgers come from the Beef Chuck, followed by the Beef Round. Both are tasty, the Round being leaner than the Chuck. Buy Boneless Chuck Roasts, Boneless Underblade Roasts, etc and Boneless Beef Chuck Shoulder Clod. The Brisket  will make one of the best burgers you've ever had. If you opt for the leaner, buy Top Round, Eye Round or Bottom Round Roasts. Occasionally you will find whole Sirloin Tips on sale and these make good burger, also, but extra fat may have to be added.

As far as value, that would be entirely up to you. If you can find any meat around $2.00 a pound these days, that's a good buy! Check with your butcher or Sam's/Costco/BJ's, etc for a price on whole primal cuts, such as Boneless Chuck, Shoulder Clods, Gooseneck (Bottom) Rounds, Peeled Top Rounds or Sirloin Tips. I would avoid buying "marked down or reduced" steaks or roasts for grinding UNLESS you are going to use the burger that day. It's already got an 'age' on it and defrosting it will add some more time to it. 

If you're living on hamburger, we would like you to consider doing this for your health.   I don't know what kind of grocery stores you have, but call around and ask if they have meat counters with a butcher.   Have them package in 1/2 lb packages vs. one lb.   Put the rest in your freezer.   If you will try it, it will make some of the best tasting burger without all of the the other things that go into 5 lb. rolls of burger.    

Great information MeadowLily.  For our home use, we actually use venison ground with about 20% chuck. With how lean venison is, that little extra fat makes it more palatable. :)

Alright....alright....alright.   (Matthew McConaughey).     

We've wondered whatever happened to that member we tried to help.  

Thanks for posting the link to that other thread... it's very interesting how people deal with the financial burden eating this way can place on your budget. I've always dreamed of homesteading and have gotten only as far as rearing chickens and having a nice veggie garden. Whole30 has inspired me, and we now have ordered broiler chickens, bees, turkeys and are in the process of getting two pigs for processing this fall. :) 

Archived