What's wrong with my mayo?

jdcjewels

I've tried making homemade mayo twice now.  The first time it was really liquid-y and separated in the fridge right away.  The second attempt I used less olive oil and it turned out a little better.  It was still really thin though, like the consistency of ranch dressing.  After 2 days its separating in the fridge.  I'm using an emersion blender.  Any tips?

My method has never failed (knock wood).

1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature

1 1/2 tablespoons acid; vinegar, lemon juice, etc.

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1 1/4 cup oil, or more as needed

Add the acid to the egg and let sit for 15 minutes. Add the salt and mustard.

Pour in the oil and mix with immersion blender. Start with a few pulses, then let 'er rip! If it doesn't thicken up, slowly add a little more oil while blending.

Here's a video of my mayo in 30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/znxIwnbHFSQ

My last batch had the best flavor, IMO. I used white Balsamic vinegar and half light olive oil and half avocado oil.

Good luck!

I had  a similar issue. Try this.

2 large eggs (I use organic)

1.5 cups light olive oil

1/2 tsp mustard powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 to 1.5 tsp lemon juice

Use an emersion blender. I tried a regular blender and it turned out runny. Emersion blenders blend in such a way that it combines ingredients that shouldn't work together...it emulsifies.

Put eggs, mustard powder, salt, lemon juice in a container with maybe 1/2 cup oil.

Begin blending. When that's mixed well, begin adding the remainder of the oil in a steady stream. It will thicken up nicely.

I've made 3 batches like this. First time I did, it worked great. And, I'm like....This is really cool. Each time I've had the same result. The emersion blender is the trick.

Good luck.

Seconding the too much lemon suggestion.

I know that, in theory, you're supposed to blend everything except the oil and then add the oil very slowly all by itself, but this never works for me. What DOES work for me is to mix a whole egg (I get thin mayo whenever I use just the yolk) with a little prepared mustard, salt, and dash of cayenne. Slowly drizzle in oil and once it's all incorporated and thick and fluffy, stir in the acid at the very end. Made the mistake of adding 2T of vinegar one time. Still tasted good, but was very, very thin.

• 2 weeks later...

I think mayo is just temperamental - I use a recipe very similar to Rebe_J - but mine calls for prepared mustard instead of ground. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Then again, sometimes my egg peeling method works and sometimes it doesn't. I think it just depends on the amount of unicorn tears you add.

Honestly, I think temperature is the biggest factor. If I'm impatient and try to make it before EVERYTHING (not just the eggs) comes to room temp, it doesn't work.

i use immersion blender    plop 1 egg in container add salt, mustard and 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar  and 1 cup olive oil.  place stick blender all the way to the bottom and go      i don't drizzle oil or let anything set.. just seems to work very quickly and is always nice and thick  sometimes i stop and move blender around a little and go a little longer.  of course what works for me might not work for everyone as we know!

i use immersion blender    plop 1 egg in container add salt, mustard and 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar  and 1 cup olive oil.  place stick blender all the way to the bottom and go      i don't drizzle oil or let anything set.. just seems to work very quickly and is always nice and thick  sometimes i stop and move blender around a little and go a little longer.  of course what works for me might not work for everyone as we know!

I do this too, except I use 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, sprinkle with salt and mustard powder, and 3/4 cup light tasting olive oil. With the Breville immersion blender set on 15 it takes seconds. I find that it's a bit thicker if I leave the egg out for about 15 minutes before emulsifying, but it's not a huge difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My mayo comes out fine at first, but after a day or so in the fridge it gets kind of hard, and when I use it to make a different sauce, everything separates and it looks gross and I don't want to eat it. I'm following the recipe in the Whole30 book and following the instructions exactly...any tips?

• Administrators

My mayo comes out fine at first, but after a day or so in the fridge it gets kind of hard, and when I use it to make a different sauce, everything separates and it looks gross and I don't want to eat it. I'm following the recipe in the Whole30 book and following the instructions exactly...any tips?

It's possible that the spot you keep it in the fridge is too cold and it's freezing.  If it gets borderline frozen it will seperate and be a mess when you go to use it.  Experiment with spots in your fridge.  I have a "mayo spot" and nothing else is allowed to sit there.  For me it's top shelf beside the wall right at the front.

I've made mayo twice (following the Clothes that Make the Girl recipe) using a standard blender and it's come out perfect both times. However, yesterday I plopped a dollop on a hard boiled egg and noticed the mayo had a very stringent taste. It was off putting. I wondered if it was going bad. It was almost too acidic. I didn't notice that with my first batch. I used the same amount of lemon both times per recipe. And, I know the eggs would not be expired yet. Any thoughts?

• Moderators

It's possible that the spot you keep it in the fridge is too cold and it's freezing.  If it gets borderline frozen it will seperate and be a mess when you go to use it.  Experiment with spots in your fridge.  I have a "mayo spot" and nothing else is allowed to sit there.  For me it's top shelf beside the wall right at the front.

Ooooh! I just had a batch mysteriously do this and I have it in a different spot than usual, I bet it's too cold. I could not fathom what the issue could be. Thanks Shanny!

Experiment with spots in your fridge.  I have a "mayo spot" and nothing else is allowed to sit there.  For me it's top shelf beside the wall right at the front.

You should tape it off with that yellow & black striped tape.  :lol:

I've made mayo twice (following the Clothes that Make the Girl recipe) using a standard blender and it's come out perfect both times. However, yesterday I plopped a dollop on a hard boiled egg and noticed the mayo had a very stringent taste. It was off putting. I wondered if it was going bad. It was almost too acidic. I didn't notice that with my first batch. I used the same amount of lemon both times per recipe. And, I know the eggs would not be expired yet. Any thoughts?

I have found that the acidity of lemons is not consistent. Could that be the case?

My favorite acid for mayo is White Balsamic vinegar. It has enough acid, but a slightly sweet taste, too.

I have the book but it is from the UK and they have changed some of the words.  In my mayo recipe it calls for white powdered mustard.....is this like Colemans? I made a batch yesterday and all I could taste was the mustard.  It was awful.  Then I added the lemon and it went from a mayo consistency to a liquid.  I think I will have to practice this but my main question is what is the mustard that you are adding, please.

• Moderators

I have the book but it is from the UK and they have changed some of the words.  In my mayo recipe it calls for white powdered mustard.....is this like Colemans? I made a batch yesterday and all I could taste was the mustard.  It was awful.  Then I added the lemon and it went from a mayo consistency to a liquid.  I think I will have to practice this but my main question is what is the mustard that you are adding, please.

I just use ground mustard (it's a powder). It's slightly yellow.

so the mustard isn't like Coleman's?  Just simple ground mustard.  I think I need to search for this here.  Western products like this are only in a few shops where I live, I guess there is always Amazon.  

Perhaps I read the instructions wrong with the lemon?  I will double check on that but I added the lemon last after I had mixed the oil and the egg- these two were mayonnaise consistency but when I added lemon it went to liquid.  

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/  These are the same instructions as the book, no?  I followed this method, once the egg/oil had emulsified I then added the lemon which is where it went to a complete liquid again.  

Perhaps it just takes a bit of practice.

Archived