Are Bragg Liquid Aminos= Coconut Aminos

Julie Quates

Yes, I tripped myself up on Day 12 -- I let myself get too hungry in the late afternoon and didn't take time to make a new batch of compliant vinaigrette. I grabbed some Braggs "Healthy" Vinaigrette from the pantry and poured it on my salad without checking the label. Oops! Soy AND honey in the fine print in the ingredient list, I discovered later, though not among the major ingredients listed prominently on the front label. For almost 2 years I've considered my diet "soy free", and I was accustomed to looking for hidden sources of soy, once upon a time. With this product, it didn't cross my mind.

Lesson learned about always reading labels and not making assumptions! And, about planning and not letting myself get frantically hungry.

I decided to add the 12 days on to the end of my Whole 30. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to come to terms with the idea that "every bite counts" for me, so it seemed right to extend my Whole 30 (though it didn't make me happy).

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAD NO IDEA!!!!!!!!!!! I am SOOO bummed!! I've been using this product for quite some time... I was so pleased to find this. I've been gluten free for years now and have been using this... Do I really have to start over???? I used it to make such a yummy dinner too... Used my own home=made almond butter, NoNoodles, chicken, mushroons, spinach and AMINO... I also fed it to my boyfriend for dinner . He's on day 4.. I'm on day11. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

momlatte...

I hate to say it, but yeah... Soy is one of those "gut-disrupting-never-okay" items.

Don't look at it as starting over - look at it as taking on the challenge on a fresh foot, together! I know it sucks, I'm sorry, and no one can make you do it. But your body really does need the consistent time without soy.

• 3 months later...

• I slipped up on day 4. I have been preparing paleo approved recipies with Braggs aminos. However I noticed it has Soy Protien vs. Soy Beans as in regular soy sauce. Anyways, my wife and I had gone out for sushi and I brought my own bottle of Braggs thinking it was okay. After a couple of dips in the braggs and wasabi (is wasabi okay?) I decided to google "is Braggs approved on the Whole30?" and this article came up. I immediatly stopped dipping my sashimi style fish and finished it up plain. Not used to eating my fish with no soy/wasabi. It wasnt like I purposely slipped, I honestly thought Braggs was okay as some of my paleo recipes call for it. I will bring some coconut aminos next time!

• 4 years later...
8 minutes ago, Jessarooski said:

What about Bragg's coconut aminos? Does the coconut sap make it non-compliant, because they are not fermented? 

Coconut aminos are compliant.  There is nothing in the Bragg's ingredients that is cause for concern:

Other Ingredients: Organic Coconut Tree Sap from non-GMO Coconut Trees, Distilled Water, Sea Salt, and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

Here is where a moderator weighed in on coconut sap in the aminos:

7 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Bragg's coconut aminos specifically say they're not fermented. The reason Coconut Secret coconut aminos are okay is because they are fermented. Bragg's are not compliant.

Is "fermented"  the same as " aged"? That's what it says on my bottle of Coconut Secret coconut aminos...

• Moderators

I couldn't say if you got the wrong one.  We know that coconut secret aminos are fermented; they've been contacted about this many times.  It's possible that they use 'aged' as interchangeable with fermented but unless you know that's the case, other companies using 'aged' should be contacted to make sure that the product is fermented which removes the sugar associated.

Archived