Spiralizer or "Veggetti"

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How often do you want to spiralize things and how much storage space do you have?  I got the Paderno spiralizer (from Sur La Table), ended up gifting it to a friend.  I hate storing things I don't use very often.  I enjoyed the end results of using it but not enough to really change how often I used it (not often).  I also hated cleaning it.  I do have a julienne peeler that also works well when I need it and stores much better.

The Vegetti has been working well for me --- it's small enough to go in the drawer with the other random utensils (whisk, grater, hard boiled egg slicer (I don't care what the case against "unitaskers" is, I LOVE THIS!) ...

I eat low carb even when not on Whole30 and so I spiralize zucchini quite a bit.  If I didn't have the Vegetti I would just eat the zukes sliced ... as in, I wouldn't bother to use a julienne peeler to accomplish the same thing.  And while the Paderno is cool, it's just too bulky. (I live with roommates though, and have to share cabinet space, so YMMW).

• 3 weeks later...

I would suggest getting a julienne peeler or even better, a mandoline. The thing about most spiralizers is that they really on work for optimally sized produce. For example: a fat zucchini works great, a skinny carrot breaks apart and creates a lot of waste. Plus a mandoline is useful for slicing as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dang.

Just ............. dang.

Ok, I've had a handheld Vegetti spiralizer for a long while now, and it's been great!  No complaints.  I pretty much only spiralize zucchini.  So, this month I've been staying at a friends house, and also engaging in a "monomeal" Whole30 where I'm only eating ground beef & zucchini.  I've been going along, thinking she *didn't* have a spiralizer in the house.
Well, turns out here on Day 27 I find out there's a Vegetti PRO!!

It is sooooooooooo easy!!  I ripped through 4 small zucchinis in like no time:

IMG_20170128_171442_zpsfg6yja3w.jpg

And the cores that come out are just too cute!

IMG_20170128_171711_zpsenjanvhf.jpg
IMG_20170128_171753_zpsveplrfk1.jpg

So, the handheld one is still "fine" but damn this countertop unit is THE HEAT!

Archived