Green Veggies

EAG1962

veggierisotto3.jpg

Learn to lurve roasted vegetables.  :D 

Get the largest roasting sheet you can find, buy the largest variety of vegetables including broccoli and everything but the kitchen sink.  Drizzle your favorite compliant fat over the top, turn it up to 400, kick the oven door shut, hands in the air and walk away.   In about 20-30 minutes, stick a fork in it, it's done.   Fall in love with roasted vegetables and you'll get the most of out of life. :rolleyes: 

IMG_8072.JPG

• Administrators

Thanks...I am going out of my comfort zone and will try this.  I really hate most veggies :(

Hey Eag!  Maybe try reframing that statement to something a bit more optimistic.  Thoughts are reality.

How about: "I don't have a taste for veggies right now but that can change!".

Or: "Veggies and I aren't friends now but we could be down the road!"

Roasting veggies (as Meadow says above) is an amazing way to prepare them.  Grilling zucchini gives it a really wonderful flavour and texture.  Shredded cabbage seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper and then slowly cooked in a saute pan over low-medium heat creates a buttery, rich veggie side dish.  Toss some asparagus in olive or avocado oil, place it on a cookie sheet, grind some rock salt onto it and pop it under your broiler for 5 minutes. Experiment!  

If you've historically only eaten boiled or steamed veggies with no seasoning on them then I can totally understand why you might not like them.  You said you don't like green beans but how about if you tossed them with an olive bruschetta in a wok? SO delicious!

• Moderators

Thanks...I am going out of my comfort zone and will try this.  I really hate most veggies :(

Like Meadow and LadyShanny mentioned, roasted vegetables are probably the best way to go. You should also try a variety of vegetables, and try those vegetables several times, prepared in different ways. You might love them prepared one way and hate them prepared another. I love roasted cauliflower, but can't stand it raw, and it's just sort of edible steamed.

Also, check out lots of recipes with lots of different kinds of seasonings -- sometimes the seasonings can really make a difference. Go look at all the vegetable recipes on sites like The Clothes Make The Girl (that link goes straight to vegetable recipes, most of hers are W30 compliant). Or prepare the vegetables fairly simply, but then add tasty sauces to them, like mayo or chimichurri or morroccan dipping sauce or hollandaise.

Definitely, as LadyShanny said, reframe how you think about vegetables. It may sound silly, but really, if you keep telling yourself you don't like vegetables, you'll keep not liking vegetables.

• Administrators

Like Meadow and LadyShanny mentioned, roasted vegetables are probably the best way to go. You should also try a variety of vegetables, and try those vegetables several times, prepared in different ways. You might love them prepared one way and hate them prepared another. I love roasted cauliflower, but can't stand it raw, and it's just sort of edible steamed.

Also this and also as it relates to cauli.  :)  I cannot do the texture of roasted or steamed cauli but rice it or mash it and we're best friends!

You might also consider turning some of your veggie needs into soup!  Here are a few that I have made and loved and they are ridiculously easy!  Also delicious and easy on the palate for breakfast if veggies for breakfast is a tough one for you!

Nom Nom Paleo - Curry Cream of Brocoli Soup

Clothes Make The Girl - Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Clothes Make The Girl - Golden Cauliflower Soup

Don't give up on finding the veggie love! My hubby, who HATED, LOATHED everything that even came close to resembling a vegetable outside of a carrot, a pea, a potato or pesto on pasta --at least it was green-- now loves roasted broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, fire roasted tomatoes--and he hated tomatoes before if they weren't in a marinara sauce--sweet potatoes, parsnips, spinach, kale--darn near every veg I have cooked he loves. He even told me last Thanksgiving that the best part of dinner was the roasted brussel sprouts with cranberries! I do roast everything in a mix of coconut oil and olive oil with lots of fresh garlic with salt, smoked paprika and fresh cracked pepper. I do have to add, that I made stuffed zucchini the other night and he said after he ate dinner that zucchini was another veg he hated because his mom would slice it, boil it till it was goo and then have butter or salt on it.He said that any time I want to serve him zucchini to be sure I do stuffed zucchini, although he is intrigued with zoodles. 

Never fear, veggie love :wub:  can be found--do not despair! 

• Administrators

zucchini was another veg he hated because his mom would slice it, boil it till it was goo and then have butter or salt on it.

GAG!  Zuke is so delicate, I cannot imagine boiling it!

This list is basically my list of favorite soups ever. I've got about one more bowl of golden cauliflower soup left and I've got the makings for cream of broccoli and gingered zucchini in my fridge right now.

And the thought of boiled zucchini makes me shudder. Stuffed zucchini is a MUCH better option.

The oven, good balsamic vinegar, and dried cranberries are slowly convincing my husband that brussels sprouts are yummy. It used to be that he just sort of tolerated them, but when we got groceries last week HE was the one that grabbed some and put them in our basket!

Hubby's mom hates to cook so she makes everything horrible just to prove the point--boiling plain beans till they are goo, not even salting them, boiling everything under the sun, and basically, I don't ever want to hear "it's just like mom made!" In some marriages that might be a compliment, but not in ours!  

She pretty much throws stuff in a pot or bowl, without a rhyme or reason, complains when it doesn't tastes good and then just chokes it down because her belly is just a hole to be filled. Unfortunately, it is how hubby ate growing up, and he has a hard time telling me what he wants to eat since the only things that were safe was pasta and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. He doesn't know what is supposed to be good. So when I read people saying they don't like to eat "X, Y, or Z" I wonder if they kinda grew up the same way, with someone who didn't like to cook, couldn't cook or didn't want to learn how to cook. 

• 2 months later...

This morning, I sautéed finely chopped kale in chicken fat and then added 3 beaten eggs and scrambled together with a bit of leftover crisp bacon. Delicious and a great way to hide some veggies in with something else.

I love roasted cauliflower, but can't stand it raw, and it's just sort of edible steamed

And I love raw and steamed caulifl

Also this and also as it relates to cauli. :) I cannot do the texture of roasted or steamed cauli but rice it or mash it and we're best friends!

You might also consider turning some of your veggie needs into soup! Here are a few that I have made and loved and they are ridiculously easy! Also delicious and easy on the palate for breakfast if veggies for breakfast is a tough one for you!

Nom Nom Paleo - Curry Cream of Brocoli Soup

Clothes Make The Girl - Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Clothes Make The Girl - Golden Cauliflower Soup

And I love raw cauliflower and steamed with salt, pepper, and curry powder on it. I can eat a whole bag! Haven't had it roasted yet.....

Archived