Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning all - is that breakfast Meadow?

I was faced with a hard decision this morning. My eldest son informed me he had to bring in some 'garnish' for a dish he's making in Home Economics today. I got him some salad greens, some onion, an avocado, and went to give him a tomato and discovered that I had only one left which I was planning on having with breakfast.... It was tough, but I did it - I packed it in his bag & went without... Now I'm sat at my desk & really missing that damned tomato - what's making it worse is that I know he probably won't even it it!  :lol:  :wacko:

jmcbn - is this the way we are going to start the morning? Complaining about a measly tomato? Buck up........its going to be a great day!  

Everyone should have done their weigh in, wrote it down somewhere and should be burying the scale in the back yard! Its time to get ourselves organized. I will start assigning chores soon so get some cleaning supplies ready. For those that haven't been with this group before, I like to throw in some chores to do a couple things 1) take your mind off of eating, 2) keep you busy, 3) get you off of your butts and get you some exercise, 4) actually give you a reason to de-clutter your house. The chores are meant to help you get your entire life organized and not just your eating habits. Once you get rolling, it seems to snowball and really begins to add energy to your day.

A quick intro about me - I'm almost 48, father of three boys, married to the best wife ever, retired from the Navy after 23 years, work for the government, have my own hand carved duck decoy company on the side, love fixing and restoring everything, have two dogs, live in Maryland, and start my last graduate class in 2 weeks for my MBA. I NEVER stop moving. I have had some surgeries over the past couple years that have slowed me down and allowed me to gain weight. I am not blaming the surgeries, my own poor eating habits have allowed my weight gain. I have done a few Whole 30's and have always been very happy with the results. Re-intros can be a slippery slope and something that I am much more aware of now. I would like to lose 25 pounds during this W30 so that is what I am targeting as my goal.

Please feel free to come out of the shadows (lurkers) and tell us about yourself. Tell us only what you want and feel comfortable with. It seems that the more honest we are with each other......the more honest we are with ourselves. Sometimes just writing our deepest thoughts and fears down and actually acknowledging that these problems are real can help immensely! Be honest with yourself always! Your new eating lifestyle has started. It doesn't start tomorrow, or next week, or after Girl Scout cookie season, or after the Holidays, or the church bake sale........................................NOW! We are all here for a reason.......to better ourselves...............AND to better each other. I want to succeed at both and will be more than happy to assist you to your goal(s)....................which might also include kicking you in the butt if you need it. My/our group does not know defeat. All we do is win, win, win....no matter what, what, what!

Have a great day! (I'm not asking......I'm telling you!) 

Dave

jmcbn! some violet blooms would have been an AWESOME garnish and you could have kept the tomato. Last time the grand kiddos were here, Calista asked me what they were when she saw them in the yard. I told her they were violets and they were edible. She wanted to try one. I picked a pretty purple one and after she ate it she said, "It taste like salad!" So Jericho wanted to try it. He had the same reaction, "It really does taste like salad!" That is the perfect description for them, lettuce tasting with a little pop of something refreshing and lightly sweet when you bite into the little nectar part.

Update on my slo roll reintro... Trialed the sourdough bread yesterday, had it for all 3 meals, by the afternoon, I was having some tummy rumbling with gas. By bed time, I had quite a bit of bloating, not miserable, but not calm "flat"(well, someday... :D ) happy tumminess. Thought, well that wasn't too bad. Woke up this am feeling like a hundred years old, stiff and achy! They sayers say fermented grains are better for you than unfermented... well, maybe, BUT, not gonna be on my list of special occasion foods, well, unless it is starvation, yeah, maybe for that special occasion if I am ever faced with it! Gonna be stick to clean compliant whole30 til I wake up young again then I'll trial Ezekiel Bread, the sprouted grain that TheySayers say is better for you than regular grains. We'll see!

dcducks1, looking forward to the chores! Gonna do my best to keep clear of the butt kickin' tho! :lol:

102214-01.jpg

Gonna do my best to keep clear of the butt kickin' tho

Not me.  I like super positive buttkicks. kickbutt.gif  

103014-mcginnis-tuesday_68.jpg

Which reminds me, there is a lil fish over at the big cement pond who really likes to throw his weight around with Mom and me.  He asks us the same questions every single time that have nothing to do with the pool. Questions that are none'ya.  None 'ya bizness. It upsets my Mom so much. After 6 months, yeah, I know...I said something to the Big Dog.  The next time we went, the lil fish was all nicey nice ingratiating himself....barf,  and over-apologizing which was also, yuck, I need another bucket.   Mom says, what do you think happened there?

Oh Maw, he got a case of whoop-a--. kickbutt.gif  She laughed and laughed, slapped her lil hands together.  It was worth it. Sometimes, you can't let folks bully fryingpan.gif your Mom.  It's my job to take care of her. Nobody puts baby in a corner.

BusterMalone.jpg

Then we get in the truck.  Maw...don't slam on the brakes all at once.  Gently ease up on them, Maw. You don't want to wear the brakeshoes out.  Maw....watch out for that girl who's driving and texting.  Maw...fietsertour.gif

Billie.jpg

jmcbn - is this the way we are going to start the morning? Complaining about a measly tomato? Buck up........its going to be a great day!  

But it was such a beautiful tomato Dave - so ripe & ready for eating...   :P 

Anyways, I got me some more supplies form the farm shop at lunch so I'm all good & ready for kicking some whole30 ass...!!

Laurie checking in. 

Welcome Espie and Loulabelle. 

jmcbn - hopefully, your son's class enjoyed your tomato.  You are a great mom to part with that beautiful tomato.

Dave - do you plan on losing the 25 lbs in just one whole 30?  That's very fast weight lose and probably hard to maintain.

Meadow - you have made our new home very welcoming.  Love all the photos.

Loulabelle - you just did!

Laurie - My goal is 25........but I DONT expect to do it all in 30 days. I do seem to shed weight pretty quickly, especially once the Tiger Blood is running strong. Winter is over, I am much more active and I can tell the weight is ready to start falling off. I am focused, determined, and raring to go. Lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way.....is my new motto!

Dave

Woman with thick tights

Pulled up her legs

Keeping them well-cooked

Like bacon and eggs

Like a game of tug of war

Each side wants control

Today it is winter

Who wants to Rock n Roll

Tomorrow maybe Spring

Will give it a Heave Ho

Guess we won't know

Til tomorrow, though

10305514_912315532126561_641606492147973

What's all this then?

Tinman!!!   Whatchoooo doin'?  If you want to gel with the WD30 Roundup and Ride Gang...come on, then. We're gellin'.

There's poetry and songs, barn dances and tea in the afternoons.  We get together for dinner in the evenings...we do all of that stuff because we're family now.  There's tepee creepin' and sneakin' around the back of the barn for stolen kisses, and some even swap Larabars.  When we catch 'em, there is a penalty phase.  We tell them that what's eatin in secret shows up in public.

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Too funny and so appropriate! I cooked up some Italian veg mix from the freezer. Did not read the ingredients closely. There were Lima BEANS in it! Got one in the first bite. Definitely slows down the eating process when you have to pick thru it to eat it... :ph34r: Oh, and that it is how I felt after eating sourdough bread at each meal yesterday... Reintro just might be musical some days...

scenic-110414-017.jpg

The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom

image.jpg

Pork Chops with Spiced Applesauce 
Serves 2

Prep Time: 5 minutes 
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 bone-in pork chops (about 1 lb total)
3 tbsp cooking fat
1 onion, sliced
1 apple, cored and diced
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1 pinch nutmeg
2 generous handfuls frisée

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the salt and pepper in a small bowl and use to season both sides of the pork chops. 

2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the fat is hot, add the pork chops and sear until you see a golden brown crust, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear the other side for 2 minutes. 

3. Transfer the pork chops to a baking dish and roast in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 140°F, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness. 

4. While the pork is roasting, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon fat and the onion in the same skillet. Cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the apple, apple cider, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg. Cook, scraping all the tasty bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon, until the apples soften, about 5 minutes.

5. Transfer the applesauce to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Place the frisée on plates. Top with the pork and spoon the applesauce over the pork and greens. 

Don’t have access to frisée? You can use arugula, baby kale, or baby spinach. This dish can also make a delicious reappearance at breakfast — fry an egg or two and place over the top of the leftover pork, using the applesauce and freshly wilted greens as your side.

wildlife-050113-003.jpg

Archived