Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"!

dcducks1

Hey everyone! How's the whole30 going! Great for me! Wednesday eve, I started kalua pig in the crock pot and seasoned some chicken leg/thighs for marinating in the fridge. There were a total of 4. Two I used the seasonings used in Well Fed 2's Chicken Nanking and the other 2 I used the seasonings from the West African Chicken Stew. Kalua pig was ready by M2 time yesterday, had it with a salad. M3, put the West African seasoned leg/thighs in the oven and cooked up some red beats and finished off the Italian veg, after picking out the offending Lima beans! Both veg were sauteed w/ghee. I had thought I would trial the Ezekiel bread next, but upon perusing the ingredients, realized it was something I should trial further down the road in WholeLife, as it contains a combo of grains, gluten and non gluten, as well as lentils. too many things at once... Things are still a bit crazy here. Between trying to get things sorted, rid, rearranged, mowed, planted etc. and visiting mom in Rehab, I often don't post, but just check in for motivation! Keep the motivation coming!

M1: Technically it was 2 eggs, but one was a double yoker! :P with onion, shitake, and left over Italian veg from last nights M3.  Chores today, finish mowing the yard, plant the pansies I got for the front median, run the tiller over veg garden one more time. Rain is coming tomorrow!

Denise, thanks for the update and telling us about your wonderful food.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! How's the whole30 going! Great for me! Wednesday eve, I started kalua pig in the crock pot and seasoned some chicken leg/thighs for marinating in the fridge. There were a total of 4. Two I used the seasonings used in Well Fed 2's Chicken Nanking and the other 2 I used the seasonings from the West African Chicken Stew. Kalua pig was ready by M2 time yesterday, had it with a salad. M3, put the West African seasoned leg/thighs in the oven and cooked up some red beats and finished off the Italian veg, after picking out the offending Lima beans! Both veg were sauteed w/ghee. I had thought I would trial the Ezekiel bread next, but upon perusing the ingredients, realized it was something I should trial further down the road in WholeLife, as it contains a combo of grains, gluten and non gluten, as well as lentils. too many things at once... Things are still a bit crazy here. Between trying to get things sorted, rid, rearranged, mowed, planted etc. and visiting mom in Rehab, I often don't post, but just check in for motivation! Keep the motivation coming!

M1: Technically it was 2 eggs, but one was a double yoker! :P with onion, shitake, and left over Italian veg from last nights M3.  Chores today, finish mowing the yard, plant the pansies I got for the front median, run the tiller over veg garden one more time. Rain is coming tomorrow!

Denise - I pulled this up for you about reactions to wheat...just for reference.

30 March, 2015

From Dallas Hartwig, Whole30 co-creator, professional Science-English translator, motorcycle aficionado, and part-time hooligan. Photo credit: Stephanie Gaudreau

I haven’t done a Whole30 in four years. In fact, I’ve only done two since we created the Whole30 back in April 2009. I’ve found a really great balance with eating nutritious food the majority of the time, and going “off plan” occasionally with a glass of scotch or some Jeni’s ice cream. Corn tortillas and sushi rice also make regular appearances, but they don’t seem to have any immediate consequences for me.

Back to the Start

Let’s go back to 2009. I had been researching nutrition in the context of evolutionary biology for two years, and had learned a great deal about food, our immune system, our digestive tract, and our psychological response to food. I’d been changing my day-to-day eating habits towards a Paleo-ish template, but I still had some minor health issues. At that time, I was playing competitive volleyball and experimenting with Olympic weightlifting to improve my sport performance. I was lean and muscular and… my shoulder hurt all the time. I had some pretty significant inflammation, and I couldn’t even sleep on my left side. I tried resting it, icing it, physical therapy (I myself have been a licensed PT since 2001), and eating ibuprofen like candy (I didn’t know yet that non-steroidal drugs increased gut permeability and actually slowed healing of connective tissues). I went so far as to get cortisone injections in my shoulder before playing at USVBA Nationals just so I could continue to function. Nothing worked.

After coming across a research paper that discussed the immunology of certain proteins found in food, and something clicked. I thought, “If food components can directly cause inflammation in certain populations (like people with autoimmune disease), I wonder whether it could also be contributing to the chronic inflammation in my shoulder.” Unbeknownst to me at the time, that was the thought that ultimately led us to create and share the Whole30 program.

I experimented with some dietary changes (eliminating the large amount of beans and grains that I was eating for a few weeks). And… magic. My shoulder stopped hurting altogether, and I’ve had zero shoulder pain since then. Incredible, I thought.

Fast forward a couple years, and Melissa and I were doing some weightlifting training at a gym in Boston, and I sprung the idea of a super-strict, no-cheats elimination diet (based on the Paleo template outlined by our friend Robb Wolf) on Melissa when she was exhausted (and probably cognitively compromised). She agreed, and that was the prototype for the Whole30, even though we weren’t calling it that back then.

My Whole30 Lessons

I learned a lot about myself through that first “round.” I learned that there is sugar in everything. I learned that, without the convenience of protein bars and shakes, I had to plan ahead a lot more to have good food around when I was hungry (which was often). I learned – through the systematic reintroductionprocess – that wheat makes me sad. Like, actually sad and apathetic for 48 hours or so. Other grains (like rice and corn) seem to not have that effect, which is why I still eat sushi rice at a good restaurant and street tacos with corn tortillas when I’m in Mexico. I also learned that milk and ice cream are Not Okay (for me, it’s the lactose).

But notice this: even though the Whole30 often helps people address their unhealthy emotional relationship with food, none of the things I mentioned about me really fit into that category. And that’s okay. We’re not trying to convince everyone that they have messed-up relationship with food. I simply didn’t. I used to eat unhealthy foods basically every day, but I didn’t have any guilt, and I didn’t use food as reward or punishment. It just wasn’t how it worked for me. Of course, that’s not to say that those food choices were good for me, because I’ve since learned that they are definitely not. There are direct and indirect consequences of my choices, but they affect my mood, sleep, digestive tract, and skin instead of an inner-voice-that-scolds-me.

Over the last five-plus years, I’ve gotten stronger, stayed leaner, slept better, and felt mentally sharper than ever before. And that makes it easier to stay on track with my dietary choices, although with travel and a toddler and personal stressors, I still find myself gravitating towards sweets when I’m notably stressed. That, too, is normal, though obviously not a healthy choice.

So I don’t do Whole30’s anymore. Through the program, I figured out what foods are not my friends, and I only hang out with my friends. I have also learned that I have some leeway with some non-Whole30 options. During my hard training at Gym Jones, I use SFH’s whey protein as a fast and easy source of protein. I can keep large amounts of amazing single-origin chocolate in the house for weeks and only eat a little here and there. I make a conscious effort to “clean it up” if I’ve found that I’m drinking more than once a week, or that all the Jeni’s ice cream in the freezer has magically disappeared.

Beyond that, food is not complicated for me, and the Whole30 gave me the self-awareness to easily make good food choices consistently without ever (!) feeling deprived. And if I want a dram of Glenfarclas 25, I just have one.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2...h.fiY6nGHN.dpuf

dcducks1

Advanced Member

Members

PipPipPip

479 posts

LocationMaryland

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Deb - working on the bone broth!

Legally - sounds like you are doing great!

Miki - ok, sounds like you are busy so I will draw up the first schedule to at least get us going! We will skip today so that we can be better prepared. For those that are a day ahead of us...join in as you can. Remember the MINIMUM time is 30-60 minutes.

Wednesday - Organize (this can be sitting down for an hour and straightening a filing cabinet, filing things away, putting recipes in a book, fixing photo albums, cutting coupons, sorting dirt and pinecones etc)

Thursday - Room Cleaning (pick a room, any room..... and detail it.) I don't want to see any "Irish pennants" hanging or "ghost turds" under the bed. There will be a "white glove" inspection following

Friday - Scrubbing  (pick a bathroom, any bathroom) YOU do the work so the Scrubbing Bubbles don't have to. Take down that shower liner that USED to be white and clean it or replace it.

Saturday - Field Day (get outside and weed the flower/garden beds, mow, weed whack, rake, etc)

Sunday - a day of rest...NOT! Find the ugliest "junk drawer" or closet and "get ta straigtnin'"!

Monday - No Evidence - Get a cleaner and a rag and start working all the walls and around door knobs that collect all of the dirty handprints. Also get low on the kitchen cabinets where everything spills and splatters and clean'em up!

Tuesday - Just Chill .............while you clean out your refrigerator. Take the drawers out and wash them, get rid of the meatloaf from last November......clean it!

That should get everyone going in the right direction. Make sure you post what you did, the time you put into it, the crazy comments your family gave you, and how happy you are at me for suggesting it!

Dave

Wow....talk about a copasinki coinkydink.   This is what Dave said one year ago almost to the day.

Dave, your birthday is coming up....May 15th.   :D 

dcducks1

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-43304.jpg?_r=1420739094
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

Mom has "girls weekend" planned with friends and her sisters. Then  we show up Sunday morning to make her day special which means we cook her breakfast in bed, clean the house, go to church and then we will have her open gifts. I think we are combining my birthday this weekend too since our oldest is home from college this weekend.

We are all packed up and I have all the meat, fruit, and cashews that I will need to stay on track. Maybe I will try to make some of that mayo from pinecones and dirt this weekend....hahahaha....just kidding all! Canoe is going so we will get plenty of exercise and so is our Black Lab "KC" who loves to camp, swim, ......basically do whatever Dad is doing. Have a great weekend everyone and stay focused.

P.S. - Campjess, this is normal. Your body is looking for fuel. Make sure you are eating enough protein. Try eggs in the morning, they stay with you for a long time during the day and help keep you fueled. Stay the course, it will all smooth out soon.

Dave

Espie - lovin' that yarn too - fab colours - and the shawl looks so intricate.... Gorgeous!!

Cottagequeen - sounds like you're still running on TIger Blood my dear - good on ya! Hope your mum is starting to feel more like herself...

Meadow - that food all looks Ah-mazing...... it made my supper of kalua pig, with sauteed spinach, tomato & avocado with eggs over easy seem inferior! Although granted I'd started sauteeing the spinach gifted to me at the farm shop today as it wouldn't have lasted another day before I'd really thought was I was going to do with it. So not the *best* whole30 meal I've had but it filled a rather large hole...

Anyways..... I'll go next on the whole introductory thing.... I'm a 45yr old single mum of two boys (13 & 9), working full time in the Construction Industry as a Project Manager/PA/Finance Manager depending on who's phoning or what day of the week it is. I've been in this kind of role for almost 15yrs now, but previously I worked in Retail (& qualified as a Window Dresser/Visual Display Artist) and a Photographer's Assistant so I've a it of the arty thing going on myself.... I first became interested in nutrition & what food does to our bodies when my youngest son was diagnosed with multiple non-IGE food intolerances at a very early age and I spent a huge amount of time with dieticians & nutritionists while we tried to wean him onto solids.

Long story short everything had to be cooked from scratch so I cut out all processed foods & prepared sauces at that stage & progressed from there eliminating first wheat & soy, then oats & corn, then rice, swiftly followed by legumes, & finally dodgy additives. I learned about paleo/primal through various fitness blogs & was fairly strict primal for about 3yrs but had developed a few bad eating habits on the weekends that I wanted to break - having read about whole30 I knew it was the best way to do it.

On top of my full time job, & chauffeuring my kids to chess club/gymnastics/school I am a self confessed gym bunny & train on average six days a week. I am also studying nutrition, have completed my basic nutrition foundation course (with 99%!!), and should probably be working on my mid-course assessment in sports nutrition right now, but let's just say I get easily distracted and hey, I count my time on this forum as research!!  :lol: 

I started off with a whole45 back in feb & extended it to a whole60. Reintro'ed added sugar purely to eat my way through some smoked salmon I had in my freezer, ate one pack over two days, decided it wasn't all that, gave the rest to my folks & jumped straight back into whole30 compliant eating again. Technically I'm on the sloooooooow roll reintro stage but I haven't decided when I'll actually reintro anything. Grains, legumes, sulphites/sulphates haven't been a part of my life for a looooong time and I've no plans to bring them back so for me it's really only dairy & alcohol.... and I'm hesitant to do the dairy reintro because I'm *fairly* sure of what the result will be.

So...... going forward my plan is to be whole30 compliant 95% of the time, maybe more - no hard & fast rule, with the option to off-road with dairy/alcohol/good quality dark chocolate/the occasional SWYPO dessert on the occasions I deem special enough to do so.

And if you're still awake after reading all that I'll just finish by saying it's good to have you all on board....!! 

That was wonderful, jmcbn.   You will be getting your wings shortly...because I can hear a bell ringing.

Mothers-Day-Wallpaper-1.jpg

Four things we cannot recover.

A Stone - after it's thrown

A Word - after it's said

An Occasion - after it's missed

Time - after it's gone

children-are-the-anchors-of-a-mothers-li

Got quite a bit done, but so much more to do...

Tiger Blood... keep it coming!

Days cut short because the best time to visit mom is in the afternoon. They keep her busy with PT and OT. She is doing really well. Other than having mild headache, and a very sore shin abrasion that appears to have gotten infected and is now on an antibiotic. Doc told her today she'd would be there thru the weekend at least.

M2: Salad mixed lettuces, red onion, sliced mushrooms, pecans(sometimes I eat nuts, but only as a condiment or seasoning in the meal) sliced strawberry( because I only used 1 berry) tuna, mac nut oil/balsamic vinegar dressing.

M3: Finished off the Kalua Pig, cooked up some red cabbage in ghee and white balsamic vinegar with onion, Pink Himalayan sea salt, ground cardamom, a little allspice and a little cinnamon. Oh, and some basil... It was quite tasty. Followed by 4 strawberries sliced in some coconut milk. 

Got a couple things left to do then hittin' the hay!

Night!

All - your first chore!

Tomorrow......I want you to think long and hard ....................I want you to do something......................for someone else! Make them dinner, help them with a flower bed, grocery shop for them, clean their dishes......something! But do it for someone else......not yourself!

I will pulling a diesel engine out of a sailboat since my friend had neck surgery to fuse together a couple of vertebrae. I will change the engine mounts and put it back in.

Post what you did when finished, pics are good too!

Dave

6217.jpg

Things our Mothers Taught Us

My mother taught me to appreciate a JOB WELL DONE.

If you're going to beat each other up....do it outside,   I just finished cleaning the house.

My mother taught me about RELIGION

You better pray that will come out of the carpet.

My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL

If you don't straighten up...I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week.

My mother taught me about IRONY

Keep crying and I'll give you something to cry about.

My mother taught me about STAMINA

You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone.

My mother taught me about WEATHER

This room of yours looks like a tornado went through it.

My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION

Just wait until we get home.

My mother taught me about MEDICAL SCIENCE

Keep crossing your eyes and they'll stick that way.

My mother taught me about GENETICS

You're just like your father.

My mother taught me about WISDOM

When you get to be my age,  you'll understand.

My mother taught me about JUSTICE

One day you'll have kids and I hope they turn out....just like you.

happy_mothers_day.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACH

Meadow - that Socrates quote - I have that engraved on a disc that hangs on a chain with a little anchor on it & two mini dog tags with each of my boys names on them...!!

Up and at 'em this morning. I've a washing hung out, and another load in the washer, dishwasher loaded & on, and carpets vacuumed. 

I've just had a boiled egg & a mug of green tea & I'll be setting off for the gym soon. There's a Transformers Exhibition on up in the City so I'm thinking I might go there with the boys later. Oh, and I've a fair idea what I'll do for my chore...... Gotta love a Weekend...!!

The dog tags -   I lurve copasinki coinkydinks. 

Denise - fixin' to....cleanin' and riddin' and fetchin' and catchin'.     I've fetched my Maw's Mother's Day present.  It's all put together.   I'm  fixin' to go to the store to get things ready for her special dinner tomorrow.  Cleanin' and riddin'....I'm sprucing everything up for family.  

Laurie - I hope you have a great day tomorrow, too.  

dcducks - Happy Mother's Day to your beautiful wife.    

yep! My BIL says if we'd quit reckon so much we wouldn't need to be fixin' so much. I reckon I'm fixin' to get back to the cleanin'  'n riddin'!

Went for my 2 mile walk and discovered my chore for the day. It is completed...

Mowed mine and my neighbors front yard. Now on to the rest of the stuff on my list!

yep! My BIL says if we'd quit reckon so much we wouldn't need to be fixin' so much. I reckon I'm fixin' to get back to the cleanin'  'n riddin'!

Went for my 2 mile walk and discovered my chore for the day. It is completed...Bravo! So long for now, Denise. 

Mowed mine and my neighbors front yard. Now on to the rest of the stuff on my list!

For anyone who likes facial scubs...jagged edges can damage your face capillaries.   :o  :o 

DO

Exfoliate in the morning, once or twice a week.

Make exfoliation a part of your morning routine. Skin renews itself overnight, making the morning the perfect time to scrub away. Don't scrub too hard though – once or twice a week will do it, even if you're oily. Over-exfoliating can be too harsh for delicate skin. Slap on your favorite moisturizer post-scrub, to regulate oil production and keep things smooth.

DON'T

Choose your exfoliating scrub wisely. Jagged granules can cut through sensitive skin and cause permanent  damage to capillaries, causing redness and irritation. Perfectly rounded beads are the way to go.

The weather was too good to go to the exhibition so we took oourselves to a local National Trust property and went for a walk around the grounds, the formal gardens, & then the lake - about 2.5 miles in total I think. The formal gardens looked fabulous - the sun shining, the water fountains & lily pnds, and all that colour....!! Just tucking into meal 2 (tuna with spinach, tomatoes, onions, peppers, cucumber, avocado & mayo) and will soon start batch cooking for the week.

Post WO was a grilled chicken kebab with salad - no dressing.

Meal 1 was roast chicken, mixed roasted veg & olives.

Meal 3 will be pork cutlets with some kind of sauteed greens - haven't decided yet but have cabbage, fennel, asparagus, sugar snap peas, spinach & something a bit chunkier whose proper name escapes me! I'll add some ghee, garlic, onion & mushrooms & take it from there....

We had Mother's Day here back in March but Happy Mother's Day to everyone on that side of the World - to the Mums of both two & four legged children.... Have a great day x

Hi everyone! Karma really does have a way with us doesn't it? I have been off grid for a while but am back and ready to go into full W30 mode. My youngest daughter is about to graduate high school so I have been busy with that. Also, I am in the middle of changing jobs which has been hectic, exciting, stressful, etc... I am also considering going back to school to add to my education but not sure if it's worth it yet. Dave, you are an inspiration for going back for your MBA. I tried to get my masters about 5 years ago but it was a struggle with the kids in tow. Now that they will all be gone I have no more excuses! Although I keep asking myself why I would do this at 50 years old!?!?

Anyway, for those of you who don't know me, I am an RN with 3 children and one grandchild. My husband and I have been married for almost 30 years (in December). I was a child bride of course! I have done my share of Whole 30's and Whole more than 30's and stay pretty true to plan even when I'm not in the middle of one. I must say though that this last time of stopping I have fallen off the wagon big time and fell into the sugar bin! Stress does lots of bad things. I'm ready to climb back on and start releasing my solar flares (thanks Meadow)!

I will do my chores for the weekend and report back as ordered! Sir! Good to be back :)

Archived