Snacks, "monkey salad" & SWYPO

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst for you, how bad is "monkey salad"... i know that a lot of forum people have been very scathing but banana, macadamia butter and coconut flakes just hit the spot!!! I am on day 24 of my first whole 30 and doing okay. I would probably be regarded as being at goal weight (I have not weighed myself so I don't know) and I am ramping up my running after an injury. I started the whole 30 to crack my 15 cup a day addiction to coffee and skim milk and a pretty savage junk food tooth. I have not really had a problem with giving up any of the forbidden foods except the coffee and skim milk... and I am still learning to enjoy drinking it black... not 15 cups a day though.

Is "monkey salad" SWYPO?

Monkey Salad doesn't emulate *anything* that I'd like to eat so, no, I wouldn't consider it SWYPO. I wouldn't consider it food either though...

If you're wanting to fuel your running (& help heal your injury) you'd be better opting for whole, nutritious foods - not a faux food made up of compliant ingredients.

For me it's a 'fail'.

Sigh... yes, you are right. I suppose it is just that sometimes I really don't want to eat an egg or a piece of chicken. Is there nothing I could eat with a piece of fruit that would be regarded as a good choice after a meal...

I started the whole 30 to crack my 15 cup a day addiction to coffee and skim milk and a pretty savage junk food tooth.

Monkey Salad or Paleo Cereal is a Whole 30 SWYPO.   It is important to break the snacking cycles with an actual Whole 30 meal.

If you are truly hungry...eat something satisfying with a good amount of protein and a nice dollop of fat.  Not something teeny tiny but an actual meal.   

The best way to get a handle on snacking is to add compliant snack foods to your main meal.  Eat them there to develop positive food management, then cut snacks entirely.  This will salvage your Whole 30, too.

I was surprised (but happy) to see that Melissa said that strawberries with whipped coconut cream was compliant. I imagine this is as part  of a meal, and she said it was not recommended to eat every night as dessert if you want to change your habits.

Seems like it could be a good option once in a while.

Guest Andria

As everyone said above: Monkey salad is a definite SWYPO.  Best to avoid if you want to have a successful Whole30.

Include fruit *with* your meal only after you have eaten a template meal of protein, adequate veggies (i.e., do not let fruit push veggies off your plate) and fat.  The blood sugar spikes and dips you would get with fruit between meals will not help you get through *the need to have a snack* feeling, it will only perpetuate it.  Meadowlily is correct, if you feel you need to eat in between a meal it should be a template mini-meal.  Use the litmus test for hungry: you would eat plain fish and steamed veggies.

One of the goal of doing a Whole30 is to get away from the snacky behavior so many of us have and is perpetuated by the processed snack food industry and the silly mindset that we need to eat 3 meals plus 16 snack a day so we can make it in between meals...(a bit of snark there :P ).  You want each of your 3 meals to be large and satisfying enough to keep you satiated for 4-5 hours so you have no interest of eating between meals.

Guest Andria

I was surprised (but happy) to see that Melissa said that strawberries with whipped coconut cream was compliant. I imagine this is as part  of a meal, and she said it was not recommended to eat every night as dessert if you want to change your habits.

Seems like it could be a good option once in a while.

There is a difference between compliant and ideal.  Monkey salad is compliant, but not ideal in breaking the "I need to have dessert/snack after a meal" mindset.

It would be ok directly after a meal, like having a side salad after a meal, but not later in the evening like a dessert. It would be best to have it as part of your meal. If you are truly hungry between meals--not just feeling peckish, and you could just really go for broccoli and fish, have a mini meal--a hard boiled egg, some veg, maybe a compliant dip--but don't reach for the fruit and nut butters. 

Archived