Habit Burger

Eileen

11204908_473472536154483_153582877512604

Habit Burger dinner last night. I ordered:

Double charburger, no mayo, no pickle, mustard only, caramelized onion, extra tomato, extra lettuce, lettuce wrapped, with a side of sweet potato fries.

• Moderators

Just FYI, this is from the Can I Have list:

French Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Ordering fries with your (no bun, no cheese) burger and green salad really misses the point of the Whole30. Fries are the epitome of “food with no brakes,” and anything deep-fried in vegetable oil is be default unhealthy. Make your own potatoes at home using coconut oil, duck fat, or ghee, and baking or roasting them in the oven instead of deep-frying them; or order them baked or mashed (no cheese, sour cream, or butter!) if dining out.

Additionally, you need to check the ingredients of those fries, since very often, to get the nice and crispy and brown and tasty, they are coated in flour and sugar. While you probably can't find an ingredients list, if the company has an allergens list, that's definitely a good place to start -- they would list peanuts, soy, dairy, and gluten on there.

I know this seems really picky, but it's only for 30 days and it's important to pay attention to these things. The general don't eat fries rule is about changing habits, but the ingredients part is important for the elimination aspect of the W30.

• Moderators

The burger is a great choice. The fries, however, are not okay. The rules of the Whole30 specifically call out French fries as a food that is not okay. These are made with sweet potatoes, but they are still French fries. In another Whole30 article where we say it is okay to eat white potatoes, we clarify that you can bake or fry fries at home, but no commercially prepared fries are acceptable during a Whole30.

• 1 year later...

Was just referencing this thread as I was about to consider Habit Burger for a lunch for myself today (currently sitting in a plaza with lots of options)... and found some info that I wanted to add in case anyone else references this in the future. 

Aside from the already-mentioned reasons as to why fries other than homemade/hand cut aren't W30, according to Habit's allergen list, their sweet potato fries contain gluten and soy. Their charburger (naked) also lists soy as an allergen. Full nutritional listing here: https://www.habitburger.com/wp-content/uploads/Habit-Nutritional-Data-21140614-2.pdf

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2015 at 8:17 AM, Tom Denham said:

The burger is a great choice. The fries, however, are not okay. The rules of the Whole30 specifically call out French fries as a food that is not okay. These are made with sweet potatoes, but they are still French fries. In another Whole30 article where we say it is okay to eat white potatoes, we clarify that you can bake or fry fries at home, but no commercially prepared fries are acceptable during a Whole30.

Do the pickles not follow the rules? Or would they be okay?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Janiee22 said:

Do the pickles not follow the rules? Or would they be okay?

You'd have to find out the ingredients for the pickles. 

This discussion is more than a year old, so you probably ought to Google Habit Burger and find the most up to date information from their website, as restaurants change recipes and suppliers over time, so what's referenced here may not be accurate anymore.

Archived