Starting May 11th

Debzella

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, friends!

Day 3 here.  I didn't sleep well last night, which is odd for me.  I'm behind on some work and I couldn't quit thinking about it.  Got up early and went to yoga.  Had eggs, veggies, and avocado for breakfast.  Feeling good so far? 

Today will be my first test.  I'm traveling about an hour away for work and will have to take my lunch.  I generally eat lunch with some colleagues there, but will pass this time.  They will want to know why and I'll have to tell.  This evening is my monthly bunco game.  I am generally the one that drinks the most beer, so there will be lots of questions.  I swear, this would be 10x easier without having to explain to everyone!

Hello Everyone

I'm Jeff and this is my second go at the Whole30.  My only advice to anyone who cares is to jump onto this forum everyday and be engaged.  People start on here for a few days and fall off.  Don't do it.  Stay here, put in the effort and you'll see the results.  Good luck to everyone on their Day 2!

I attempted to make the mayo on Sunday and it was an EPIC fail! I didn't know the process was so delicate. I don't have a food processor, only a blender. Can I hand whisk the mayo? Anyone have tips or tricks? I've been watching youtube and it looks so easy... 

Nickiechan,

I made the mayo last night! I don't have a blender or food processor, just a hand held mixer...seemed to work just fine but I had to have it on the highest speed and super slowly add the olive oil. I mean, SOOOOO slow, barely a trickle while mixing on the highest speed. Took a good 15 minutes but, the consistency and color are great! It's a little different at first but definitely will fill the "mayoless" void in my heart :)

Nickiechan

I used a blender to make the mayo and it turned out great.  Did you let your egg sit a room temp long enough?  And you have to pour in the olive oil really really slow......because it will splatter. 

Hi everybody! Starting my second Whole30 today. Did my first from April 10-May 9, my daughter's wedding. During that month I had a three day business trip and a seven day cruise vacation. I didn't think I could be compliant, but somehow managed. What a great experience! But I need to do this again to solidify this healthy way of eating and living. I am going to focus this time on cooking the recipes so they become second nature and I have a bunch of go-to appetizers I can take to parties and out sailing. So hard for me not to weigh but it makes sense to unhook from the scale and just focus on healthy choices. And breathe!!!

Started my second Whole30 today!

Ive been eating Paleo on and off for about a year now. More off lately than on, which is why I NEED this. My seasonal allergies are back, I am super tired alllll the time and just don't feel like myself.

I look forward to being on this journey with all of you! :) 

I haven't attempted the mayo yet but learning from everyone. I may get up the courage today. Bravo, Nickiechan for trying it. :)

Bricky, I love that you bought a blender and a pressure cooker. You seem fearless in the kitchen. How long does it take to make bone broth in the pressure cooker?

Kwaller, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. This is a great group of people! Onward to all of us mastering this!

I think I added my oil a bit too quickly... :/ 

I am going to a brew fest this weekend with my husband and a bunch of our friends. I'm DD which is great, but they got me a normal drinking ticket. I'm going to go strong. I'm not a big fan on beer anyway, so I think I'll be ok. We are going to a barrito joint before hand and I'm a bit nervous. I'll ask for steak, guac and pico de gallo. 

I need to make mayo too!  

Well the headache came!  Yesterday I ended up going to bed early cuz my head hurt so bad.  This morning tho, the headache is gone and I feel great! 

This am meal  coffee with coconut milk, sweet potato hash, 2 fried eggs, apple sausage

lunch green salad with BV and EVOO, salmon cakes. ( a guy at work said he has never seen someone eat such a big salad.  lol)

Dinner, try again for tacos. ( last night when getting home the kids had already had dinner so I made Salmon cakes instead)

Bone broth, probably a date with cashews, and handful of almonds.  (still haven't been able to break that habit yet)

I feel really good eating this way.  I love how I have absolutely no food guilt!  I know what I'm eating is clean.  Plus I really thrive on rules!  

Now if I can last 30 days.   lol   

A little about me,  I work part time and have three boys  ages 9,7 and 3.  I'm running a 10k this weekend. :)  I did exercise, I walked this am before work.  But I need to do one last run before the 10k.  I've been procrastinating.. lol

Kristina

Hello everyone! Day 1 went pretty smoothly. The hardest part was saying no to the GIANT bowl of candy on the desk next to mine, which is always magically replenishing with the good stuff. This has been my go-to whenever I get hungry between meals at work (and then usually spoil my meals). Luckily, I have NOT been hungry at all these past 1.5 days because I find the portions on the 7-day meal plan to be enormous.

Has anyone else had this issue? Eating half a fritatta was just not possible; I could barely get down a quarter of it. 1.5 cans of tuna for lunch? Insane. I'm feeling uncomfortably full, almost nauseous, after every meal so far. But I'm following the guidelines, as well as the recipes in the book. Almost all of those recipes make 2 servings, which just seems crazy to me. I can't keep up with the actual meal plan; I have too many leftovers. 

So I'm eating slightly less than is called for, but certainly enough to completely turn me off to snacking the rest of the day. Is that the goal? 

Day 1

Breakfast: 1/4 spinach, tomato and onion frittata (1.5 eggs worth), 1/4 avocado, 3 strawberries

Lunch: 1.5 cans tuna in water with homemade mayo, tablespoon ranch dressing, bed of raw baby spinach, 1 pickle, 1 apple

Dinner: 1/3 lb ground turkey with homemade tomato sauce, 1/4 roasted spaghetti squash

Day 2

Breakfast: 1/4 spinach, tomato and onion frittata (1.5 eggs worth), 1/4 avocado, 3 strawberries

Lunch: 1.5 cans tuna in water with homemade mayo, chopped olives, 1 bell pepper, carrot and celery sticks, 1 apple

Dinner: 1/3 lb ground turkey with homemade tomato sauce, 1/4 roasted spaghetti squash (planned)

Hi

love reading what everyone ate today. Good ideas so thought id do same

breakfast - i had a smoothie I KNOW :( but it was full of spinach aswell as fruit ! I work in catering from 7ish in the morning and have to hit the floor running so it works for me and i deff don't snack b4 lunch

lunch - roast veg lamb kofta (leftovers) mixed up with an egg some pesto scrambled in microwave. Tasted fab honest!

Dinner - beef bolognaise with spiralized courgette and the last of yesterday's roast veg

One thing i would encourage everyone to do is take before pictures. I didn't before my first whole30 and soo wish i had. I know from my clothes and the nice comments from friends and coworkers how much better this way of eating makes you look and feel but seeing it in black and white strengthens your willpower 100 fold. Also i used to make my coffee with half milk half water and after my 1st whole30 i thought yeh milky coffee woop woop! Ehh no yuck yuck i couldn't drink it it tasted awfull. So now i always have it black so try to persivere if you're still having coffee.

A liitle about me. Im 47 mum of 2, nana of 1 (my little princes!) Married for 29 years to my lovely husband who by btw can't believe im eating so much food but have lost weight and feel so much better. His words were" you're in a better mood when you're on this diet" must have been a crabby moo b4! I run a function catering unit for the local council. Yes surrounded by cakes and goodies all day!

Anyway have good one tomorrow everyone.

Jane

My day 1 went well. I was also able to prep mayo, ranch, and sunshine sauce. We grilled a big batch of chicken to have for lunches this week.

Last night for dinner we had chocolate chili from The Clothes Make the Girl blog (sooooo good, highly recommend making a huge batch to eat and freeze for later), with cabbage/broccoli/carrot/red and green onions slaw with evoo and apple cider vinegar.

My awful caffeine/sugar withdrawal hit yesterday afternoon. It's still here, a bit milder at least. I went to bootcamp this morning and are a large breakfast of chicken apple sausage, 3 eggs, some spinach and green onion all scrambled. I was so hungry by the time I finally ate. I need to work on eating as soon as I'm done exercising, but I get caught up in work and time slips away quickly. But I'm hoping the extra egg will keep me filled up a bit better.

I think I'll be having a big salad with grilled chicken for lunch, and maybe roasted chicken breasts with roasted Brussel sprouts for dinner. Hmm, that's a lot of chicken. I may need to rethink that! I may have to use my pressure cooker tonight...

Hi all! I started yesterday too, and LOVING THIS FORUM! am super excited to join and help keep the good spirits, support, and momentum going for the next 29 days!

This is my first Whole30, and I'm looking forward to seeing what sorts of changes the food plan will have on my energy level, sleep cycle, PMS, and digestion issues. So far, I plan on being pretty basic when it comes to food - not making "special" things, just eating simply: eggs, fruit, meat, fish, vegetables, etc. Nothing fancy. Just adding olive oil, lemon, herbs and salt to the basics. I'm a little nervous about no breads, milk products, chocolate,  sweets, and snack foods - those'll be my biggest challenges. And corn. I think I eat a lot of corn. 

I had a horrible night's sleep last night, tossed and turned, and woke up very logy, and heavy feeling today. Hoping it picks up. 

One thing I noticed on this forum, that somehow I *subconsciously? intentionally?* missed, is no snacking? My meals haven't been huge, and I've been having an apple and almonds, or hard boiled egg between meals. I don't like eating huge meals, as I find it hard to bounce back to work after that. Is this considered a no-no? 

What do you guys think?

Day two almost done. Breakfast was 2 poached eggs, asparagus and a sliced tomato drizzled with olive oil. Lunch was a big salad of baby kale, spinach and chard, mushrooms, leftover broccoli from yesterday, 3 oz. of canned salmon with a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. Also a handful of raw cashews. Dinner is on the stove right now, and it will be Indian spiced eggplant tomato ragu and organic pan-fried chicken drumsticks. Can't wait. 

I feel good, but as the day has progressed, I'm developing a headache. Since I never get headaches, I'll assume it's a withdrawal symptom from any of the several things I'm not eating.  :)

See you on Day three!

End of Day 2 and my co-workers are still alive  :lol: Let's see who's left by Friday! haha!

I had a good day - I'm usually up before the alarm goes off, but not today! Solid sleep last night. 

Feeling good so far...

B - scrambled eggs, sweet peppers (sans ham and bacon! (I forgot to check ingredients before cooking them - so THANK YOU MODERATOR)

L - Leftover braised beef, mixed greens w/EVOO and BV, Strawberries and blueberries

D - Grilled Garlic Balsamic Chicken breasts (NON-GMO), zucchini zoodles, banana and celery sticks.

Snack - 3 tsp pumpkin seeds (i really didn't want any more!)

Drinks - 2 mugs black coffee, lots of H2O - yep, peeing like a race horse!

Bricky - I walked 20 minutes today - it's a start! Let's try do to something everyday and build our stamina back up!

I see some of us on this thread have auto-immune issues. My story - I have Graves. I gain weight/lose weight/gain weight and so on and so on. A vicious cycle. Started Paleo April 2013 and it saved my life! I felt alive again. Had much energy, slept well, aches and pains were gone, didn't look or feel tired anymore, and lost 50 lbs! I was only 80% Paleo, still ate cheese and yogurt and a few other non-Paleo foods. However, last summer I got lazy, I only had 10 more lbs to loose and thought I could go back to some grains, sugar, etc., and now I'm 22 lbs up. Ugh!  NO CAN DO!!! That's why I'm doing W30. Need to kick that sugar devil out of my system! My sluggish thyroid just can't handle grains and sugar much. Lesson learned (I hope  :rolleyes: )

Good job everyone!

:wub:

I'm starving!!  I have spent several years training myself to only eat until just full and have a healthy snack later if hungry.  This big meal/no snacks thing is wearing on me.  About to oink out on some chicken before I go to bunco.  Want to be nice and full so I will be less tempted by the food and beer that usually have.  Starting to have a little headache (probably because I'm starving!) so will have some sweet potatoes too.

• Administrators

Hello everyone

Day 2 going well so far - I have a headache but since I consume around 12 mugs of coffee (black no sweetener) each day I did expect that. About to make chicken bone broth in the pressure cooker and then butternut squash soup. I think a protein salad for lunch so am going to try to make the mayonnaise. Jeanie793 I have also gone from regular exercising (walking 5-7kms five days a week to nothing!!! Partially due to back problem but also that dreadful lethargy that has become my constant. I am planning to begin walking again next week - walking up to pick up my granddaughter from school next Monday as a start. thanks to everyone who has shared their meal plans. I did roast chicken last night I popped some garlic cloves in under the skin but was not overly fond of it next time I think I will use clarified butter and herbs. . 

You regularly consume 12 cups of coffee? That's quite a lot and hard on your adrenals.  Are you considering cutting back or cutting out for this Whole30?  Does that amount of coffee displace water consumption?

• Administrators

I'm starving!!  I have spent several years training myself to only eat until just full and have a healthy snack later if hungry.  This big meal/no snacks thing is wearing on me.  About to oink out on some chicken before I go to bunco.  Want to be nice and full so I will be less tempted by the food and beer that usually have.  Starting to have a little headache (probably because I'm starving!) so will have some sweet potatoes too.

Uh-oh, Whole30 does not abide by or encourage "starving".  Retraining yourself to eat meals large enough to keep you going 4-5 hours is a challenge at first and during the time that you are retraining yourself and figuring out exactly how they should be laid out, if you are hungry please eat.  Preferably a mini meal of protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  Try not to eat fruit or nuts on their own; a hard boiled egg or chicken thigh with some veggie is a good choice.  Starving is not necessary!

• Administrators

Day two almost done. Breakfast was 2 poached eggs, asparagus and a sliced tomato drizzled with olive oil. Lunch was a big salad of baby kale, spinach and chard, mushrooms, leftover broccoli from yesterday, 3 oz. of canned salmon with a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. Also a handful of raw cashews. Dinner is on the stove right now, and it will be Indian spiced eggplant tomato ragu and organic pan-fried chicken drumsticks. Can't wait. 

I feel good, but as the day has progressed, I'm developing a headache. Since I never get headaches, I'll assume it's a withdrawal symptom from any of the several things I'm not eating.  :)

See you on Day three!

Hey Deb, your headache could actually be because you are underfueling yourself.  Eggs when they are a singular protein is as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; for even teh smallest women that's usually 3-4.  3 oz of salmon is not a lot.  Not enough at all. 

Have you reviewed the template for meal balance and portion sizes? Are your meals keeping you satisfied for 4-5 hours? 

• Administrators

One thing I noticed on this forum, that somehow I *subconsciously? intentionally?* missed, is no snacking? My meals haven't been huge, and I've been having an apple and almonds, or hard boiled egg between meals. I don't like eating huge meals, as I find it hard to bounce back to work after that. Is this considered a no-no? 

Snacking and hand to mouth all day grazing is discouraged, yes. We recommend and prefer that you create your meals to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.  If you are hungry between meals we recommend a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies.  Fruits and nuts eaten alone are not recommended and can cause blood sugar fluctuations and volatile energy as well as late day cravings for some people. Nuts can be foods without brakes (ie, can't stop at a couple) for some people and can also cause digestive distress in many.

Archived