A question about FAT

brooke26

Does the coconut oil or olive oil (haven't found any ghee and too lazy to clarify my own butter) I use when cooking my meat/veggies/eggs/whatever count as the "thumb" portion of fat for each meal? Or do I still need to add *more* fat, in the form of some avocado or.. other fatty things?

Does the coconut oil or olive oil (haven't found any ghee and too lazy to clarify my own butter) I use when cooking my meat/veggies/eggs/whatever count as the "thumb" portion of fat for each meal? Or do I still need to add *more* fat, in the form of some avocado or.. other fatty things?

As I understand it from reading the book and searching this forum, it depends. Are you big like Dallas and have the metabolism of a teenager and are extremely active? If so, you could use more fat than someone who is small, inactive and wants to lose weight. The fat is just a guideline. I do think it depends on what you are eating and what the fat content of that item is. When I eat super lean proteins, I consume more fat with them than when I have a grass fed steak with lots of fat on it. You want to eat enough to keep yourself satisfied until the next meal and reap all the benefits that fat brings with it, so it takes some time to find your sweet spot. Hopefully one of the expert moderators will chime in for you.

Don't limit your fat based on some kind of weight loss goal. Eating fat helps you burn fat, you just need to portion it to your body size. I use coconut oil in almost all of my meals and usually add 1/2 an avocado as well. I judge based on the meat I am eating as well. Just make sure you are getting some of the fats suggested in ISWF in each meal and you will be fine. Don't over think it!

Don't limit your fat based on some kind of weight loss goal. Eating fat helps you burn fat, you just need to portion it to your body size. I use coconut oil in almost all of my meals and usually add 1/2 an avocado as well. I judge based on the meat I am eating as well. Just make sure you are getting some of the fats suggested in ISWF in each meal and you will be fine. Don't over think it!

Actually Laura, ISWF specifically says judge the amount by several criteria and one of the many (size of body, activity, metabolism etc.) is if you do want/need to lose weight (not that Whole30 is for that, but it does happen) go with the smaller amount..as in 1 thumb (or TBS) instead of 2. With not much info from OP, I tried to cover all of the options and reasons. :)

Actually Laura, ISWF specifically says judge the amount by several criteria and one of the many (size of body, activity, metabolism etc.) is if you do want/need to lose weight (not that Whole30 is for that, but it does happen) go with the smaller amount..as in 1 thumb (or TBS) instead of 2. With not much info from OP, I tried to cover all of the options and reasons. :)

That's why I said "You just need to portion it to your body size". ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived