Doing it as a family!

Charbou

Started Whole30 on Monday just gone, so we're now on day 5! Biggest incentive to do this was to help my 12 year old son with his Autism. Heard amazing things on how diet can affect his Autism, and so felt there was no choice but to do this. My 3 year old (as of today!) is also doing a full whole30 with us...

So far I've not really suffered as such (calm before the storm maybe?) but the kids have! Yesterday and today my son has mostly slept, eaten only 1 apple and drunk copious amounts of water in between wanting to throw up!

My toddler has craved sugar so bad, I caught her trying to eat her bubblegum flavoured toothpaste! Today she's very pale, sleeping loads and complaining of being ill, it's quite worrying!

I feel awful, I always felt that we had a healthy diet (or so I thought) I've always made my own sauces, cooked from fresh etc. Chocolate, ice cream, fries have always been saved for days out. My toddlers tantrums have been out of this world, begging and crying for bread, yoghurt and bananas... I'm not against tough love as if they're craving this bad, then I know it has to go, BUT...

Am I doing this right? I've not bought anymore bananas as she will eat 10 of them (sugar??) offering carrots, Apple, cucumber....my son has done really well, but he understands why we're doing this. My toddler doesn't. Right this minute both kids are still asleep and when awake have no energy, is this normal? This is just them detoxing right?

I'm sorry for such a long post but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

Thanks guys x

drama. kiddos are really good at it. They would feel better/transition much better if they were eating template meals three times per day. Try to get protein and fat into them as well as starchy carbs and other veg. Not eating at all or eating only fruit would definitely make them feel terrible!

FWIW, Many people do not follow the whole30 strictly with kids. If you need to give them a smoothie (make sure it has lots of good fat, not just fruit) to get some nutrition into them, for example, I would say go for it. Their energy will return when they start eating enough. hang in there!

Also, there's a ton of info on this on the whole9 site, maybe something will strike a chord: http://whole9life.com/tag/kids/

Thanks guys! Funny enough I made some yoghurt for them today... Coconut milk, frozen strawberries, avocado, banana, flax seeds and lemon juice. Was more watery than yoghurt but they enjoyed it! I'm continuing to offer every meal to them plus I have things like carrot, Apple ready in the fridge for a snack (my son likes them with the Mayo!) I'm not offering alternatives as I do want them to eat what's on offer, I'm guessing once they're really hungry they'll eat? I spend half my time determined I'm doing what's right and the other half feeling like the worse mother ever for depriving them!

Your comments have helped me to just keep going and stick to the rules. I'd rather we all go through a little discomfort now than my kids growing up unhealthy and sick... My toddler has perked up this evening but she's only had the yoghurt and some banana! So I'm still not getting it right with her...

Starchy carbs are very, very important for kiddos so make sure they're getting lots of sweet potatoes, tubers, root veggies, winter squash, etc. Also remember that the SWYPO rule isn't really in play for the kiddos. If sweet potato pancakes will entice them to eat and/or give you a vehicle to get some meat in their bellies, then go for it. Unless it's going to cause a power struggle over having syrup for the pancakes, in which case forget what I just said. :)

You may want to read about the experiences of GAP families. What's you're describing sounds pretty much exactly like the detox reactions that I've read about for other young children. Are you making bone broth? That can help with some of the symptoms. Soup is also a great way to sneak in veggies (blended soups, especially) and the broth will have some good gelatin and amino acids in it.

Yes I have made the broth... She tried butternut squash soup today (by tried, I mean licked lol) but that was it... Will continue with soups though as think that's a really good idea :-) am planning next weeks meals now, and know there will be tantrums but hey ho! I just want to make sure that I get the meals for them 'right'. I love this way of eating and its been a learning curve for me too. I thought I hated fruit and nuts in salad, turns out I don't lol! I don't want to ever return to our old habits but I don't want to be too harsh on my children either. I think that cold turkey is best especially as I've already started it now but maybe I should look at some paleo recipes for them too? That way they still get a version of what they like but a healthier one?

Archived