Breakfast Ideas...

Tiffani

So, now that toast and yogurt are out, what are some good quick and easy breakfast ideas? I am not a huge fan of eggs, I usually prefer them hard boiled, but I can eat them occassionally. I am a simple breakfast eater, if I even grab anything at all before I am out the door. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frittatas are a nice choice. I add 8 beaten eggs to an omelette pan brushed with melted ghee. Then I add veggies (any combination that sounds good to you - mushrooms, peppers and olives are a favorite for me) and a little extra protein (chopped prosciutto, compliant bacon, ground beef, etc). It's sort of like picking your favorite pizza toppings, just use what you like and arrange it evenly in the pan. I cook it on a the stove at medium heat for 3-5 minutes to give the bottom a chance to set, then I move the pan to the oven to finish under the broiler. Its done when the top puffs up and is just beginning to brown. Let it cool, then slice into wedges and store for a quick grab and go breakfast or snack.

If I bake chicken on a Sunday to have for future meals, then sometimes I make a frittata when the chicken is finished and just change the oven to broil to take advantage of an already hot oven. One frittata makes about 4 breakfasts for me if I add a little extra protein to it. :)

A lot of other folks love egg muffins, but they don't seem to turn out well when I make them so I stick to frittatas.

Any leftovers from dinner make a good easy breakfast.

Chicken and apple sausages with some favorite (or leftover) cooked veggies.

I am fortunate that I like hard boiled eggs. I eat them most days of the week.

I just made this for breakfast - I will enjoy it a few times this week - http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/.

This is the sausage I used in the casserole - I browned the whole batch before combining it with the other casserole ingredients - http://www.healthylivinghowto.com/1/post/2012/07/say-goodbye-to-jimmy-dean.html.

on sundays i bake 2-3 sweet potatoes in their skin (1 hr @400F, let cool and then peel). i also cook up some sausage crumbles. during the week i heat about 1/2 c sweet potato and 1/4 c sausage in the microwave. i poach 2 eggs and put them on top. bit of work poaching the eggs....but reheated eggs are not an option for me. yuck. it's the only starchy veggie i have all day, but find i need a bigger breakfast so i have enough gas to bike to work!

I can't manage anything involving cooking or any faffing for breakfast. I also struggle a bit with foods that my stomach thinks acceptable first thing.

Bearing that in mind, my main breakfasts are:

- cold sliced meat, berries (my one portion of fruit for the day), small palmful nuts

- I also make these: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins which are tasty and freeze well.

Not very exciting, and I'm sure other people have much better recommendations, but they keep me full until lunch and also travel well if I need to pack them up to take in to work.

This is a great breakfast casserole that is a spin-off of baked grits, a southern staple. You can feed off of it for a few days.

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/

Also, I recently have been eating this museli-type mixture which is an awesome cold breakfast option. It is very fast, and calorically dense. A great post-workout breakfast...

http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/08/28/do-you-miss-cold-cereal/

Don't think about your first meal as "breakfast". Just think about it as meal one. Anything with protein and some veggies will work. I happen to like eggs-in the form of a frittata or fried with sweet potato hash or hard boiled and wrapped with proscuitto...they are all good to me. I also like leftovers-they are quick and easy!

It's a little weird to eat something that isn't usually considered "breakfast" at first, but you get used to it!

Yeah, the idea of eating something not labeled as breakfast is a hard concept to get used too! I do like the fritatta ideas and the hash, which I have actually found a decent recipe for. Thanks for ideas and confidence everyone!

I have to say i also struggled with breakfast the first two weeks

I ate poached eggs and pan fried cherry tomatoes and when I couldnt face that

I had hb eggs with mayo

Then I discovered sweet potato fritters ,loved that for a while

Then one day when I couldnt face any of those I chopped up half an apple, added berries and chopped up nuts and cinnamon

And then came day 18 and I actually ate and enjoyed last nights dinner of chicken and veg

So hang in there

• 3 weeks later...

All of these things sound yummy ... but I'm allergic to eggs (I love them, but they don't love me), so it sounds like I'm doomed to cold chicken and leftover broccoli for breakfast. uggh.

(9/23/12 = Day Zero)

Not necessarily. You can cook yourself up a wonderful pork chop or steak or roast chicken from the night before over sauteed spinach. Eggs are just one protein...there are SO many others. :)

More egg related ideas but I'm not so good with savoury for first meal, paleo or not. I have a 2/3 egg omelette whisked with a good pinch of cinnamon, fried in ghee or coconut oil. I sauté some seasonal fruit for a couple of minutes first, either plums, apricots, nectarines etc. Pour the eggs of top, cook until done. Serve with a big dollop of chilled coconut milk. Nom!

We just had a tasty non-egg breakfast over the weekend. Had a simple pork sausage pan fried over sweet potatos that I microwaved, then drizzled (poured may be more accurate really) coconut cream on that. I also saw a recipe recently that I'm going to try this week, with blueberries and pork sausage over sweet potato (or squash). I actually prefer squash to sweet potatos or yams.

My husband is not a fan of eggs. So far his favorite breakfast was the following: boneless frozen chicken thighs that I thawed and pan-cooked with a lot of onion, then added kale and spinach to. It took about 20 minutes I think for the total cook and prep time.

For those that aren't a fan of eggs - is it fried, boiled, poached, scrambled, omelets, frittatas, Westerns, deviled, raw? Is it preparation or are eggs automatically out? I used to not be a fan of eggplant and wouldn't try it but then I was turned onto roasting it until crispy in duck fat. That worked - duck fat makes just about anything better. I think ruling out eggs altogether cuts down on a lot of delicious, not to mention nutritious, options.

I left this out - or is it because of an allergy?

I read either on this site or another, that someone chopped up nuts, added berries and poured coconut milk over it for a cereal like effect. I have been using that and it is pretty great as long as you don't overdo the nuts!

Not a great meal for whole 30 uless you are having a bunch of protein next to it. Way too SWYPO.

I am the same I can't still get my head around the idea of eating left over chicken etc first thing I just can't face it so I have pretty much been living of a variety of egg dishes each morning (on day 17). I am going to try a baked sweet potato with avocado and parma ham on Sunday before a big run so I will see then if I can stomach something like that.

This website (and many others, I sure) has a broccoli fritter recipe: http://paleomg.com/p...ccoli-fritters/, I've also used leftover zucchini, etc. She suggest topping it with a beef patty (I used grass-fed beef and mixed it with some turkish spice from Penzey's, but use whatever you want), and some avocado.

I also like this, but it's got an egg on it: http://paleomg.com/m...-hash-egg-bake/

I also like these for breakfast: http://www.theclothe...inach-muffins/. The plain ones are a bit bland, so I always dip them in a good dab of homemade olive oil mayonnaise (I used the recipe on that website as well). I also love to make them with italian sausage seasoning, etc. These freeze beautifully wrapped in tinfoil.

Personally, I like to have a fried egg along with each of those. I find it's easier to do eggs every (or many) days, when it's not the main taste of the breakfast. I like to serve a side of sweet potato as well.

I did get a nice pancake type recipe from someone, 3 beaten eggs, with a mashed banana in it and a blob of almond butter then fried in coconut oil it is a realy special treat but I try not to have that very often as it does feel like a cheat :)

Please hear this as the tough love it's intended to be. My goal is not to offend, but to enlighten and encourage you to step outside the breakfast box.

IT IS A CHEAT.

Our program guidelines clearly ask participants not to replicate their previous poor food choices with acceptable ingredients.

In addition, no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say, “Paleo pizza.” This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved” ingredients—no coconut-flour pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely.

I think many folks ignore this because they are truly afraid of being uncomfortable for 30 days. They feel like they can hold on to something they used to know for breakfast, dessert or a "treat" when times get tough. The truth is, they are holding on to their food baggage. Take this time to grow as a food consumer! Step away from the pancakes, man up and eat some chicken. Make simple eggs and a salad with strawberries, spinach and avocado. Try some sweet potato or butternut squash hash. It won't kill you and you might surprise yourself.

Archived