Start date June 1

Elissa W

First of all my name is Eva.  I have always had a struggle with weight and an ugly relationship with food.  It is not uncommon for me to binge on tons of sugar/candy.  For example 4 big bags of cadebury mini eggs, 1 box of little debbie oatmeal coookes and a loaf of french bread.  One sitting.

I have been trying to eat healthy and exercise over the last 5 years, and did lose about 70 pounds.  Funny thing is I did not feel any happier/better.  I still looked in the mirror and saw flaws.  Tummy jiggle, bulges etc.  Then my life fell apart.  Lost my house, hubby unemployed, sick kids, and finally divorce.  Now I realize that I will always struggle with emotional eating.  It does not make me feel anything but sick, depressed and disgusted with myself.  I now have the crappy diet to thank for an additional 52 pounds.  I feel like I am right back where I started. 

I have been "planning' to dump the sugar and refined carbs for a while.  Then last sunday (may 31st) my neighbor asked me if I wanted to do the whole30 with her beginning June 1.  Right then and there I decided.  YES, yes I do.

Luckily, I had a freezer full of meat and veggies just waiting for me to come back to them.  Today is day 4.  First 2 days were good.  Last night, I was really craving sugar and soda.  Thoughs like "who is going to know" cross my mind. 

I am going to know!!! Went to bed, woke up and am still on plan. 

Today is day 4.  My only complaint is I am sooooooooo tired today.  It feels like I am wading through tar today.  Not going to go off plan, but I have definitely decided not to add workouts until next week.  Hopefully it is ok.

So, cheers to everyone where ever in the cycle you are.  We got this!!!

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first day and first time doing The Whole 30! I'm already trying to figure out what to make for dinner that my husband will eat because he's NOT doing this...it's going to be a long 29 more days if I don't figure this out! 

Anyone else solo?

This is my first day and first time doing The Whole 30! I'm already trying to figure out what to make for dinner that my husband will eat because he's NOT doing this...it's going to be a long 29 more days if I don't figure this out! 

Anyone else solo?

Me! The SO and 3 children are not joining me..... They fail to remember that I cook all the meals mwahahah :)

I started today, too!

This is my second W30. I completed the first in September of 2014 and loved the results. I am doing this round solo but will surely have the temptation of graduate school and marriage to steer me off-track! Not this round, y'all. Not this round! This is my month!

For convenience and budgeting purposes, I almost always buy compliant rotisserie chicken right before the grocery store closes (it's significantly cheaper even if it has only been there for a few minutes) - it's typically around $3 for 3 pounds and I immediately de-bone it and separate it into 4oz portions at home with a mix of white and dark meat. In the future I'd like to roast an entire chicken but for now I don't care! Bone broth is a battle for another day!

I kept today simple:

B- leftover compliant pork chop, egg, potato, and onion hash

L- the last of the leftover compliant pork chops, strawberries, carrot chips, and potato wedges 

D- chicken, egg, onion, and spinach scramble with strawberries on the side 

Good luck, everyone!

It's been great catching up on all the posts. I'm impressed with the cooked breakfasts many of you have had. Not going to happen here except on weekends. I would rather sleep than cook.

I guess my biggest unexpected eating challenge is going to be grazing v. M1, 2, 3 - and no snacks. Hm. I stretch out the food all day and that's going to have to change.

M1 - Hardboiled egg and grapes, black coffee on way in to work (yuck).

M2 - Hardboiled egg, one grilled chicken tender (DH packs me ONE? It was tiny!), some mini bell peppers, and 1/2 small avocado and a clementine.. At my desk at work. This will have to get better. 

I did do some grazing today - a handful of cashews, another clementine, and 1/2 avocado w cuke while dinner marinates and sweet potato bakes. 

M3 will be grilled chicken tenders (I love them), sweet potato and a huge salad with EVOO and balsamic, and fruit. 

I hope this is all compliant. Just noticed the vinegar I'm marinating in (Lambrusco from NY's Fairway Market) is a combo of grape juice and red wine vinegar. Ugh.

Good luck to everyone! 

• Administrators

It's been great catching up on all the posts. I'm impressed with the cooked breakfasts many of you have had. Not going to happen here except on weekends. I would rather sleep than cook.

I guess my biggest unexpected eating challenge is going to be grazing v. M1, 2, 3 - and no snacks. Hm. I stretch out the food all day and that's going to have to change.

M1 - Hardboiled egg and grapes, black coffee on way in to work (yuck).

M2 - Hardboiled egg, one grilled chicken tender (DH packs me ONE? It was tiny!), some mini bell peppers, and 1/2 small avocado and a clementine.. At my desk at work. This will have to get better. 

I did do some grazing today - a handful of cashews, another clementine, and 1/2 avocado w cuke while dinner marinates and sweet potato bakes. 

M3 will be grilled chicken tenders (I love them), sweet potato and a huge salad with EVOO and balsamic, and fruit. 

I hope this is all compliant. Just noticed the vinegar I'm marinating in (Lambrusco from NY's Fairway Market) is a combo of grape juice and red wine vinegar. Ugh.

Good luck to everyone! 

Red wine vinegar is fine, don't worry.

I would like to point out that your breakfast is too small (your lunch too but you already stated that!).  Eggs, when they are the singular protein, are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping; for most that is at least 3-4.  You have probably been grazing today because you are starving.

Check out the meal template (linked below) and try to make each meal match the template and keep you going for 4-5 hours so that you can avoid between-meal-eating.  A very, very large part of the success and magic of this program is that meal template and the 3 meals a day eating.

THANK YOU @ladyshanny! I appreciate those tips. 

There is grape juice in the red wine vinegar - but then again, fruit juice is allowed so I suppose it's not a sin. I'll have to get used to eating larger meals. 

How great is this - great online support AND a great program!  We can't fail!  :D

Hi all!!  I am starting today too!  This is my first time doing the challenge so I am both excited and nervous - the hardest things for me are giving up sweets (mostly chocolate  ;) ) and chewing gum!  I would love to be a part of this community working on the challenge at the same time - hope everyone's day 1 is going strong :) Xx*

I have been thinking about the Whole30 for a while and finally decided to start today - didn't realize that there is a forum and I am thankful that.  I haven't had an opportunity to read through all of the posts but I hope to.  For the last few days I have been looking at recipes and trying to stock the fridge with compliant foods.    I am trying this initially to lose weight but know that I have a sugar and carb addiction and need to break that habit so hoping this will really help. I hope it is okay but wanted to also use this as a place where I can keep track of my progress to help me keep honest through out the 30 days.  

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 1 chicken apple sausage, avocado, a few red peppers and cucumber sticks

Lunch - red peppers and macadamia nuts (too many) and 1 chicken apple sausage and 1 red pepper spinach sausage

SNACK - Macadamia nuts

Dinner - Salmon with avocado salsa, cauliflower rice, roasted asparagus

Now I just have to resist eating anything tonight as I watch a movie with my teenage daughter!

I had a great day 1 - I think that's always the easiest!

You would be surprised that family will eat much of what you eat - there are so many great recipes out there!

In the forum, search for IOD (Ingredient of the day). In my first round, on of our gals, Deb, picked an ingredient each day and posted several recipes for each ingredient. She actually did that for two separate rounds!

Here is my absolute favorite recipe: Pistachio Pesto Chicken

Everyone eats it at my house!

Today I also made my first attempt at portabello mushroom "buns" for a burger. I need to tweak it, but it's a great idea!

Hey all,

Hope everyone had a good Monday!  

Day 3 here and still feeling good ... no withdrawal symptoms so far.  I'm relieved!!  After a month of indulgences, I expected to feel pretty rotten.  Fingers crossed!!

Today was a work day so up really early and already looking forward to heading to bed.  Ate leftovers from yesterday, nothing fancy, but tasty!  

Keeping it short as I can barely keep my eyes open  :)  Good night!

It's been great reading everyone's foods. I've packed my breakfast and lunch for tomorrow:

M1 - 3 eggs, mini peppers - do I need a fat there or is there enough fat in the egg? Hard to add fat to that?

M2 - 1/2 avocado, big salad w EVOO and white balsamic, grilled chicken tenders, 1/2 sweet potato and fruit.

Nuts for emergency snack, and fruit?

Does someone want to start a new thread daily, i.e. "Starting June 1 Day 2?" or whatever the format is here? It won't be me - I am usually running out the door with a shoe in hand, putting on makeup at stoplights, etc. Tomorrow I have a blood test so won't be having my first meal till about 2 hours after getting up - that will be close to the case most days, unfortunately, I never have time to eat at home. I hope that's not going to mess me up completely.

Good luck to everyone! It's pouring here, and unseasonably cold!

Well hi Sakicagmcan

You'll need to have a fat ( compliant bacon or something portable) with that breakfast

Or you may not last 4/5 hours

And

You need to eat it within the hour you wake

So prepare an omelette with like 6 eggs veggies and potatoes or zucchini and you'll have enough for two days

I cook 2 meals at a time

Make lunches the night before

Batch cook 2/3 lbs meat Bake a roasting pan full of roots vegs etc

Emergency snack Protien and fat

Nuts and fruit may be food without breaks

What you prefer you'll find your way

I'd keep fruit for M3 or you may be hungry

Good luck!

• Administrators

MeGA Gardner - thanks for your advice - was so hungry that I had to add the snack and I am trying to keep honest.  One day down only 29 more to go!

Hey fellow Shannon. ;)

Make sure that you make note of the days that you were hungry enough that you needed a snack and start building your "manual" of how much you need to eat at each meal to get you 4-5 hours. Macadamia nuts can be really hard to stop once you start (as you found out) so try and stick with our recommendation of protein and fat with a bit of veggie if you need something between meals. :)

• Administrators

Does someone want to start a new thread daily, i.e. "Starting June 1 Day 2?" or whatever the format is here?

The threads are typically used for the duration of your Whole30. If you want to keep a personal log you can do that in our Your Whole30 Log section. Creating a new group thread every day is not encouraged and would get extremely hard to manage.

LadyShanny - you are right, those macadamia nuts were addictive - this is the first time that I had them as a snack, had only had them with chocolate before!  Can you tell me where I can keep a personal log?  Thanks.  Paige

• Administrators

LadyShanny - you are right, those macadamia nuts were addictive - this is the first time that I had them as a snack, had only had them with chocolate before!  Can you tell me where I can keep a personal log?  Thanks.  Paige

You can start your own thread here: http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

Just an Oldie here-- keep in mind to bulk up your meals with veggies--go for 1 cup for a bare, bare minimum and really shoot for 3 cups cooked (I end up around 12 for a day, between cooked and raw--like salad greens) and don't let fruit push your veggies off your plate. I have also seen several people around the forums who save fruit for later in the day to keep the cravings down and they report that they are not as hungry later on as they are when they  have fruit at breakfast. Just a couple tips! Keep on keeping on! 

Archived