Chipotle?

Brighty

nope. The chicken has something in it, I can't remember what (rice bran oil?). That, the fajita veggies and beef are all non-compliant. 

I believe the pork carnitas is cooked sou vide, which means it's just pork and it's own fat. You can have that with salad and mild salsa and guac (not the corn salsa of course). 

• Moderators

Chipotle has been discussed many times on the forum -- try googling Whole30 Chipotle for past discussions.

You can also check Chipotle's website and find the ingredients of most of their food. Not all restaurants make it this easy, but here's their ingredient statement. Then you just have to check ingredients, compare that with the rules of the W30 and see if what you're thinking of ordering is compliant or not.

In this case, the chicken has rice bran oil. You can check other ingredients for yourself and see.

Don't rely too heavily on Chipotle as a back-up. Yes, they have a complaint option, but Chipotle is also having issues with its suppliers. As a company, they've committed to animal welfare standards for the animals that eventually become a part of your food and they recently discovered that the pigs weren't being raised the way they should have been. Chipotle cut ties with those suppliers and pulled carnitas from the menu. It's back in some areas, but I think they're still ironing out supplier kinks. The Chipotle near my work recently pulled the carnitas off the menu again--I assume due to supply issues.

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who used to work at Chipotle… the pork is good. Cooked in a bag with no sauces or anything. Guac is fine as well as the mild salsa, lettuce. I would stick away from the hot and medium salsas though, hard to be sure what is in those because they come in bags and aren't prepared in-house. Little known secret, Chipotle also adds a little hot tobasco sauce to each batch of hot salsa, and I'm not entirely sure what is in the tobasco sauce they use so I would stay away. Dressing, chicken and steak are out because honey is in the marinade, and surprisingly, no fajitas because those are cooked with rice bran oil. 

Thanks to this thread I treated myself to a night out at Chipotle. I ordered the salad, got weird looks as I said no to beans & protein, then added the mild salsa (pico de gallo?) and guacomole. I cooked my own chicken at home and took it to the store. I didn't feel too bad about doing that because I knew they'd be understanding about the choice since their carnitas are out and it's the only compliant protein. 

No one said anything or really even took a second look. 

*No one really looked at me funny, they just seemed a bit surprised to see someone skip both beans and all protein

• 1 month later...

Is sunflower oil non-compliant? I thought it was.

No. Sunflower is in the realm of seed oils; not encouraged, but not banned outright.

Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yesreluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.4WG6WrzN.dpuf

Looks like the Barbacoa and Carnitas have sunflower oil? Is sunflower oil non-compliant? I thought it was.

The Barbacoa also includes rice bran oil, which IS non-compliant, so don't eat the Barbacoa while on a Whole30.

Archived