Emergency trip and need some advice

I am on day 14 and got a call that my Mom was really sick (in nursing home 3 hours away).  I packed my emergency food (hardboiled eggs, avocado, lettuce, sparkling water, nuts, larabar, pepper slices and carrot sticks) and hit the road.  I am now staying in the nursing home for a few days and only have a small refrigerator and no place to cook for a few days.  I have my emergency food and am sticking with the plan, but have had fruit with my eggs for breakfast because I don't really have any other good choices.  I am going out today...what can I get that fits into a small fridge and is compliant for the next 24 hours?  Any fast food options?  Thanks!  I'm tired and a bit fuzzy, but determined to take care of myself while caring for her.  

Gosh, I hope your mum is okay - I'm sure the drive there seemed like it would never end!

Well done on the emergency supplies you thought to bring so far. What you can get to add to this? I'd aim for anything you can find that doesn't need much refrigeration like tinned fish, beef jerky, jars of pickles & olives, and then stock up on the hardier veg like carrots & celery. Avocados would be good for a few days out of the fridge, and then you could use the cold space for tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers & that sort of thing.

Good luck & sending healing wishes to your mum...

Thank you!  I found a great health food store in town that sells organic meats, jerky, and all kinds of other things.  I bought olives, apples, veggies, and jerky.  I even went out and bought the all of the nurses Dairy Queen and didn't have any!  Feeling strong and determined !  Thank you for your response!  

Archived