What's for dinner?-- June Edition

Munkers

I'm doing NNP's shrimp salad for dinner tonight with a few modifications based on what I have on hand - cooking the shrimp in clarified butter with a few seasoning from the cupboard, since I don't have the sumac pepper on hand. Also, will be adding cucumber and tomato to the salad, since I have those on hand that need to be eaten. Looking forward to supper tonight.

Did the kalua pig last Friday night with a pork tenderloin. Added a little water because I knew I had a drier cut of meat, and used pink Himalayan salt, but it was still fab!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night, we made taco meat without the tacos. Used ground beef, and mixed in chopped onion, chopped scallions, and the following seasoningss to taste: cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder.  Had a 1/2 jar of salsa that we mixed in too. When done, served with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and chopped avocado. 

Today, I made a kale salad with a most delicious lemony dressing (got dressing recipe from a friend).  Mix juice of 2 lemons (~1/3 cup), chopped shallot, 1/3 cup olive oil (I used Extra Virgin), 2 tsp dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit for ~30 - 60 minutes before serving to allow the shallot flavor to infuse in the dressing. Toss with chopped up kale with the ribs removed (I used the bagged kale from my local Whole Foods: it's the curly kale that works really well in a salad.)  You could have this as is, or mix in fresh fruit (I added blueberries and cut up strawberries) and/or nuts (I added almonds).  Enjoy with protein of choice for a template meal.

• Administrators

Today, I made a kale salad with a most delicious lemony dressing (got dressing recipe from a friend).  Mix juice of 2 lemons (~1/3 cup), chopped shallot, 1/3 cup olive oil (I used Extra Virgin), 2 tsp dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit for ~30 - 60 minutes before serving to allow the shallot flavor to infuse in the dressing. 

That salad dressing sounds really good!  

Tonight I had a palm size, boneless, skinless chicken thigh, lightly coated with coconut flour and fried in a tablespoon of ghee, with the beet, avocado and orange salad (which is awesome by the way) and roasted broccoli....sometimes I feel like I am eating too much at one sitting...I am on Day 7

I'd have had 2 chicken thighs. Or, if I'm honest, possibly 3.

Must try that salad, sounds delicious.

• Administrators

Still a billion degrees here.  Huge salad topped with leftover ribeye and canned salmon (we couldn't decide who got the steak so we agreed to share it...even though it was my piece of leftover steak, haha).  Chris' lemony dressing she posted above.  The salad will include peppers, tomatoes, cukes, strawberries, snow peas, pickles, olives and avocado along with the protein.  

• Administrators

I'd have had 2 chicken thighs. Or, if I'm honest, possibly 3.

Must try that salad, sounds delicious.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs in my neck of the woods cook up SMALL.  I always have three, hubby usually has four or more.

• Administrators

Today, I made a kale salad with a most delicious lemony dressing (got dressing recipe from a friend).  Mix juice of 2 lemons (~1/3 cup), chopped shallot, 1/3 cup olive oil (I used Extra Virgin), 2 tsp dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.  Let sit for ~30 - 60 minutes before serving to allow the shallot flavor to infuse in the dressing. Toss with chopped up kale with the ribs removed (I used the bagged kale from my local Whole Foods: it's the curly kale that works really well in a salad.)  You could have this as is, or mix in fresh fruit (I added blueberries and cut up strawberries) and/or nuts (I added almonds).  Enjoy with protein of choice for a template meal.

Holy Hannah, that salad dressing! I die. I haven't even put it on the salad yet, I just keep dipping my finger in the bowl and licking it! Thanks for sharing, this is a keeper!

Hi all!

I made the walnut-crusted pork tenderloin from The Whole 30 tonight...wow!!!!  It was incredible, absolutely delicious.  I highly recommend it.  I added steamed carrots and baked potatoes and my husband and I were both amazed at how good it was.  He is not a big fan of pork, so his opinion is high praise indeed.  Has anyone else made this yet?  It took under an hour to get this on the table from start to finish, a gourmet tasting meal in fast food time.  (ok maybe not McD's, but definitely Denny's)    :P  

Thanks MeGA"gardener" for suggesting I post this here  :)

Hi all! :)

Love this forum! I wanted to share the recipe I'm going to attempt to make tonight (was going to make it last night but life got in the way)...we shall see how it goes :) It is from a company called Sun Basket. They deliver fresh, organic recipes and their ingredients to your door and all you do is prep and cook. We get three dinners a week for two of us and it is $60. Worth it in my opinion because it is delicious!! They are located in the Bay Area of California so they don't ship to everywhere at this point. Here is tonight's recipe:

Steak and Chimichurri with swiss chard

http://www.sunbasket.com/recipe/131

I hope I'm ok sharing that on here!! :) Not trying to plug them...but they do rock!! :) Thank MeGa Gardener for encouraging me to post here!

Going grocery shopping tonight. Just added lemons to the list. HAVE to try that salad dressing! Since mostly eliminating bottled dressings from our diet, I'm always on the look-out for interesting dressing recipes. Last night I ended up making garlic shrimp to top our salads. I think it was the best shrimp I have ever made - and so quick and easy! DH even said it stood on it's own, and he is usually the one who "needs" shrimp sauce - tehe! Tried a mix of cider vinegar, coconut aminos, lime juice, powdered ginger, dry mustard, pink salt, sesame oil and olive oil for the dressing. It was pretty good, too! Now I just want to figure out how to replicate Amy's Sesame Shiitake dressing. As my daughter describes is - salad is a great delivery device for that dressing!

I'll probably having leftovers tonight. On Tuesday I made a big batch of cauliflower kedgeree--basically curried cauli-rice with ginger, onion, diced tomatoes, and pepper flake topped with (usually smoked) fish and hardboiled egg. I tossed in canned salmon because that's what I had at home at the time. I plan to toss a can of sardines on top of my portion of the leftovers. The folks I was feeding on Tuesday aren't sardine-friendly.

• Administrators

I'll probably having leftovers tonight. On Tuesday I made a big batch of cauliflower kedgeree--basically curried cauli-rice with ginger, onion, diced tomatoes, and pepper flake topped with (usually smoked) fish and hardboiled egg. I tossed in canned salmon because that's what I had at home at the time. I plan to toss a can of sardines on top of my portion of the leftovers. The folks I was feeding on Tuesday aren't sardine-friendly.

Holy smokes, that looks fantastic!

It's really good AND really fast, especially if I already have hardboiled eggs in the fridge. And even if I don't, I can prep the eggs while the rest of it cooks--just need two pots on the stove. :)

Oh wow - back in the day when I ate grain I used to make kedgeree all the time for brunch when I'd guests, and I was thinking a few days ago about how I could make something similar - never thought of cauliflower! This is a Breakfast of Champions.

Ooh yes I'm a big kedgeree fan. Have some cauli rice in my fridge... This is Saturday breakfast!

I pulled out all the stops and made the well fed 2 SB&j and Elvis burgers tonight. My ungrateful children said they liked the lettuce best!!!!

• Administrators

HOW have I never heard of this kedgeree before?!  

We love the "jam burgers" as we call them.  I remember the first time I made them my husband pitched a 4 year old's fit and said "I am NOT eating THAT.".  And now they are on our menu every other week it seems.  By request.  From him.  ;)

Holy Hannah, that salad dressing! I die. I haven't even put it on the salad yet, I just keep dipping my finger in the bowl and licking it! Thanks for sharing, this is a keeper!

did not think i would like a olive oil dressing......boy was I wrong! this will be my go to recipe! Even my 3 year old ate this!

Oh wow - back in the day when I ate grain I used to make kedgeree all the time for brunch when I'd guests, and I was thinking a few days ago about how I could make something similar - never thought of cauliflower! This is a Breakfast of Champions.

Our nanny prepared this often. Nanny is great grandma! anyway she came over here from Bristol and couldnt get with the american way of cooking and eating. But I printed this out as it was always a favorite of mine!

Hubby picked up a couple london broils last night, and I have had them marinating in olive oil, raw ACV, basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme and a BUNCH of minced garlic--6 BIG cloves!! Thinking about tossing them on the grill, and I would love to grill some veggies to go with-- mushrooms, zucchini, slices of egg plant, bell peppers, red onions-- and toss it into a big bowl of romaine.

In discussing the upcoming menus, pretty much decided that salad n grillin days are here! So we are gonna grab charcoal, protein and veggies to grill and go to town. Told hubby that we could grill up a whole mess of veggies, keep them basically what we marinated them in before they went on the grill, and use them on our salads like we would with roasted veg. I did tell him I would keep roasting veggies for him to take with him in his breakfasts and lunches!

Note to self: TRY KEDGEREE!!

Today's big win was breakfast. I diced some sugar-free bacon, 1/2 onion, a couple of small white potatoes and some sweet potato, seasoned with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic, and dried dill and sauteed them together. When they were starting to soften, I spread them out in the pan and broke 4 eggs over the top and covered the pan until the whites of the eggs were set and the potatoes on the bottom were crispy. You know how sometimes you make a dish, and it just looks so beautiful when it's finished that you have to stare at it for a minute before you eat it? That was this morning. I even took a picture, but didn't have time to upload before work. Maybe later. DH even said "This looks really good." It tasted great!

Archived