What's for dinner?-- June Edition

Munkers

• Administrators

Mystery Meatloaf.  As in, I made a meatloaf at the beginning of May and put it in the freezer....but now I can't remember what meat it's made with or how it's seasoned.  Surprise!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night we did pork chops "breaded" in seasoned almond flour with roasted cauliflower and swiss chard. I WAY overjudged the amount of almond flour I would need so we experimented with dredging pickle slices. The first batch went into the skillet and the coating pretty much fell off. The rest went into the oven and had slightly better results. Either way though, they tasted good!

I also filtered our first ever batch of cold brew coffee. The husband was pretty darn excited!

So what flavor was the mystery meatloaf @ladyshanny?

I had people over last night and make them asian fried 'rice' with kalua pork from NNP - they went NUTS over it - loved it, and so did I! I'm about to eat the leftovers for lunch.

Dinner is pretty simple: Chicken, Asparagus and 1/2 an avocado. I'll be running to a meeting so had to do something I could eat in the car...

• Administrators

So what flavor was the mystery meatloaf @ladyshanny?

Haha, I'll be honest, I have no idea!  It was either pork or turkey but I have absolutely NO clue what I seasoned it with.  There were little flecks of red in it so I assume some red pepper flakes as well as little green flecks that I assumed were parsley.  It was a bit salty so I'm leaning towards having made an Italian seasoning for it but I have no recollection of that.  It was good though!  Too damn bad I'll never be able to recreate it!  LOL!

Doing a 'disaster' tonight for dinner -- there was a restaurant where I used to go to that did a burger that they called a great american disaster -- 1/2 lb meat patty, onion, bacon, avocado, regular toppings -- lettuce, tomato, pickle, AND a fried egg! It was pretty much just a nap on a plate! Gonna be doing my version -- meat patties, tomato, pickles, fried egg on a bed of spinach with roasted veg on the side -- broccoli, red skinned potatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers and maybe some carrots. Ok... a healthier version! I would love some avocado, but they need to ripen longer, so maybe some olives on the side. 

Dinner tonight was London Broil, roasted red skinned potatoes and 'frizzled' broccoli -- cooked till crispy and a mixed green salad with homemade creamy italian dressing (no ranch for me! Forgot to grab dry dill at the store so no ranch till next weekend! booo  :( )

Dinner tonight was out and not that special.  Last night, though, DH made lamb meatballs (flavored with mint, cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, cloves, onion, and various other things) in tomato sauce (flavored with basil, salt, and lemon juice). It was FANTASTIC.  We agreed that next time we'll try it over spaghetti squash.

ThyPeace, notes that the lemon juice was because it was homemade tomato sauce and the canning process includes adding salt and lemon juice to the jars.  Gives the tomato sauce quite a kick.

I've been on vacation and doing a little "off-roading."

We had lunch at a Trattoria in central CA and I chose Prawns Scampi with Mushroom Risotto. It was the first time I've had rice in a long, long time, and it was quite good. Risotto is one of those dishes I would order out, but not make at home.

While in CA, we stopped at our favorite peach grower and brought home several varieties of tree-ripe peaches and nectarines. Needless to say, I've been eating more than the suggested amount of fruit, but OMG, it is sooooooo worth it.

Tonight's dinner: Kalua Pig with cabbage, assorted salad vegetables, sweet potato.

Pork roast in the crockpot with thyme, sage, rosemary, cranberries, applesauce and dijon mustard, salt and pepper. oh and garlic too and some sliced onions. cooked allll day (8 hours). Served with roasted broccoli and potatoes and a side of sauerkraut. Last of both the broccoli and potatoes. 

Haven't been on for a few days, but have to say, on Saturday I made these Asian beef ribs (sans the honey to keep them compliant), and they were spectacular! An hour before they were done cooking in the crock pot I added 3 T. of tapioca pearls to make gravy, and served over boiled potatoes with a side of fresh cucumbers in vinegar with scallions and a few snips of cilantro. 'Twas quite a tasty dinner!

• Administrators

I've been in a rut these past couple days.  Hubby vehemently dislikes breakfast this week which is a little pinch to my cooking ego and I've been making pretty basic meat and veggies for dinners.  Pork chops and asparagus & mashed potatoes last night.  Chicken thighs and salad and steamed carrots tonight.  Nothing fancy.  But...I guess we're not starving or forced to eat frankenfood....so that's something.  ;)

Last night was chicken burgers roasted sweet potato wedges celery root turnip and carrots

With rabbi olives currants olive oil garlic

Tonight mixed grill ribeye thin chicken thighs

Oven browned russets

Grilled eggplant and zucchini slices roasted red peppers and olives side salad

Last night was braised cabbage cooked down with onions and potatoes in bacon fat, and finished with a touch of ghee for that buttery flavor and bacon, because...well, bacon. :D  Along with Kahlua pig it was a meal I could eat every night and never get tired of! As I was eating it I thought it may make a spectacular Meal 1 as well. May have that tomorrow. Mmm!

I've been making the Kalua Pig in the pressure cooker....done in 35 minutes. Then I cook the cabbage in the same liquid. Oh boy, is that good. We're having that tonight, too.

I've been away from work for 2 weeks, and now I must get back into my regular routine so I'll be ready for work on Saturday. Shopping today and since it's so hot, I'll get up early tomorrow for my big cook up.

Yummy supper tonight. I wrapped 4 salmon filets individually in foil with pink salt, fresh ground pepper, clarified butter, a few sprigs of cilantro, and topped with slices of lemon and baked until done. I served it with some dipping sauce made w/ home-made mayo, horseradish, and some KA ketchup and sides of roasted broccoli and cucumbers in vinegar. DH gave me "the look" when I was sad that he liked the salmon well enough to want his second filet for his lunch tomorrow. Hehe! (It was a coup - he usually doesn't care for salmon!)

Last night was an unexpected evening with DH, who is usually with my ex on Wednesday nights.  DH and I had expected to work late and have curry, but were instead home early and needed to feed DD while also dealing with introducing the new cat to the household.  So we ordered pizza for her. (She is so non-compliant it's not even funny...)  DH and I tried the garlic knots since we are currently between Whole30s.  He loved it.  I think it was not worth the thirst it caused, though the flavor was good.  I think I can get garlic-butter flavor in other places though.

Anyway, we also had salad with taco meat, guac, peppers, olives, and homemade mayo, and baked potatoes.  Oh, and some organic live sauerkraut that I bought at a little Amish deli we go to sometimes.  Tasty meal.  I'm really full today, though.  Will probably ease off on food until I get hungry again.

ThyPeace, never used to have this happen.

Did a lot of prep for the week today, and spent $192 at the grocery store.  Ouch!!  But chicken was on sale, so I got two extra packages.  And got baby back ribs for us to have on the 3rd.  Still.  That's a lot of money.

Anyway, did all that prep, but ended up eating a simple supper -- Aidell's chicken and apple sausage with cauliflower rice, sauerkraut, mustard, and watermelon.  Tasty, simple, and easy to deal with when DD was losing her mind.  Anyone seen Inside Out?  Imagine her like the cat, except with the big red Puberty button having been pushed.  Yoiks.

ThyPeace, her?  She had three pieces of pizza, peas, canteloupe, and milk for supper.  Which is about five times better than last year, when she would have demanded mac and cheese and nothing else.

Lunch was leftover dinner: Romaine topped with carnitas (drool), tomato salsa, guacamole, and mango salsa 

Tonight's dinner: Jalapeno chicken burger topped with guacamole, baked sweet potato "fries" with a chipotle mayo dip, and steamed broccoli 

• Administrators

Last night we had baby potatoes tossed in oil and roasted with this seasoning: http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/2013/06/clean-eat-recipe-make-your-own-greek.html

I also made a greek salad (sans feta) with this as the dressing: http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/greek-salad-dressing/

Had it with a huge filet of wild salmon that was rubbed with oil and then packed with cumin & chili powder, S&P and grilled face down to give it a nice crispy crust then flipped to crisp up the skin.

T'was delicious and colorful and easy!

Dinner tonight - on our final night of June - will be a tasty Chicken, Bacon Ranch salad. Yummmmm. 

It is so hot here, I am scanning the internets for salad ideas. Anything that might be different from your basic lettuce, tomato, cuke.

Archived