Anyone else have psoriasis?

Hi all,

I did Whole30 a few years ago to lose weight (I know, wrong reason), and am back now that I have a fresh new diagnosis of psoriasis.  I've seen some success stories online, but would love to hear from you if this has helped you manage your symptoms, especially without injectables.  Have you had luck with the standard Whole30?  Did you have to go AIP?  Have you found any other natural treatment methods?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have "inverse psoriasis" in some of my skin folds, plus some psoriasis-related dryness on my scalp and around my ears (which results in dandruff). I'm on Day 11 and have seen some very, very subtle improvements in my patches of inverse psoriasis, but nothing dramatic yet (it looks like the patches have gotten a little less "thick" but they are still just as bright red and shedding just as much dead skin as they were before I started). I am hoping that by day 30 I will see greater improvement. And if I do see some improvement but there's still more healing to be done, I may extend my W30 until it clears up (and maybe using an AIP template, which I am not using now as I think the restrictions would do more harm than good to me psychologically) -- this was a big hope/goal of mine for my W30. However, for me it is likely also a matter of needing significant weight loss before my inverse psoriasis flare-ups go away for good.

I have many skin issues - acne inversa, Eczema, and roseacea.  I have recently noticed that I get a small patch of psoriasis if I eat raw tomatoes or peppers.  Do I eat strict AIP?  No but I am aware that many of the AIP foods do give me issues - so I go easy on them and don't overuse them.  So I will always eat tomatoes and peppers cooked, avoid eggs for the most part (with the exception of mayo) make sure my potatoes are always peeled, and I stay away from Eggplant. 

So you can limit these items or eliminate them if you want to see more improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

That's awesome news! Congrats!

Wish I could say the same at Day 26... but I'm convincing myself that there are at least *subtle* psoriasis-related changes happening on my body. (Really, really subtle...). Actually, even though my largest psoriasis areas are getting a little more "patchy" as time goes on (in a good way), I've seen a couple of small, brand-new plaques pop up, which I certainly did not expect.

With this in mind, I switched to mostly-AIP about a week ago (with the exception of a small amount of red pepper as an added ingredient here and there), and as of this week I will be full-AIP. We'll see what my thoughts are in 4 days, but currently I am planning to continue my W30 beyond the final day, since A) I currently don't really miss any of the foods I "gave up," and B) I would love to see if I can eventually get some substantial skin results.

• 10 months later...

I have many skin issues - acne inversa, Eczema, and roseacea.  I have recently noticed that I get a small patch of psoriasis if I eat raw tomatoes or peppers.  Do I eat strict AIP?  No but I am aware that many of the AIP foods do give me issues - so I go easy on them and don't overuse them.  So I will always eat tomatoes and peppers cooked, avoid eggs for the most part (with the exception of mayo) make sure my potatoes are always peeled, and I stay away from Eggplant. 

So you can limit these items or eliminate them if you want to see more improvements.

One of the many reasons that I wan to try Whole30 is because I probably have acne inversa- did you notice any changes with that condition after starting this program?

One of the many reasons that I wan to try Whole30 is because I probably have acne inversa- did you notice any changes with that condition after starting this program?

Huge changes.  Huge.  In fact I would probably even have to say they were life changing for me.

Cheese is my specific contributor.  Although most dairy alone will give me skin issues. I recently had an accidental exposure to dairy and I wanted to rip my skin off as I was soooooo itchy.

Pork is another contributor for me.  So if I eat pork - it must be cooked thoroughly - borderline overcooked.

The difference for me is that dairy / cheese will give me a reaction that will last for 10 days to 2 weeks.  Pork - a reaction should be completed within 3 to 4 days.

Archived