Cara Myers

I am a week in to the Whole30 and I am already sick of eggs for breakfast. I am not a big fan of eggs to begin with (it's a texture thing) so I was pushing it with eggs and omelets for breakfast so far. I have been eating them with sausage, bacon, salsa, etc. but there are only so many combos. I have also tried a few recipes for "pancakes" including bananas and coconut flour, but again, don't like the texture. Any ideas on how to get enough protein at breakfast without eating eggs, eggs and more eggs?

• Moderators

This morning I stir fried some chopped onion with a half pound of ground turkey, then added some stewed tomatoes and onions, then added 3 big handfuls of fresh greens. The hot turkey and tomatoes wilted the greens. I mixed everything together and ate it from a bowl.

I was planning to add a baked sweet potato to the onions and ground turkey originally, but thought of the tomatoes and fresh greens just in time. I may have the sweet potato and ground turkey with onions for breakfast tomorrow.

I need breakfast help too. I am on day 2 and until now I have been drinking protein shakes for breakfast using whey isolate protein, which is not allowed on this challenge because it's dairy derived. However I started drinking shakes in the first place because I don't like normal breakfast foods, i.e. eggs. I can force them down but I really don't like the idea of eating them. So, what does that leave me? I am having a hard time thinking about eating meat and veggies for breakfast.

Anything I will eat for lunch and dinner are fair game for me at breakfast time. I tend to get creative with leftover meat, veggies, spices and coconut oil or bacon fat in the frying pan. It can be different every time... no recipe required. Most of these meals can be thrown together in 10-15 minutes or less.

I cannot eat egg as well, the tast and texture is the killer.

Usually I eat a few strawberries w. some kind of meat. To that - and here is the tip - I drink one cup of coffee where I have mixed about tow teaspoons of ghee and two teaspoons with coconut milk. Tastes just like would have cream in the coffee, looks like cream and makes me full for a few hours. (I have to force my self to eat breakfast if I drink coffee before food).

It sounds gross but it tases AMAZING.

Just make sure to mix it well with a hand mixer.

I cannot eat egg as well, the tast and texture is the killer.

Usually I eat a few strawberries w. some kind of meat. To that - and here is the tip - I drink one cup of coffee where I have mixed about tow teaspoons of ghee and two teaspoons with coconut milk. Tastes just like would have cream in the coffee, looks like cream and makes me full for a few hours. (I have to force my self to eat breakfast if I drink coffee before food).

It sounds gross but it tases AMAZING.

Just make sure to mix it well with a hand mixer.

It doesn't sound gross at all! ...but then again, I love ghee, and I ate a spoonful of it the first time I made it :) Yum!

• 3 months later...

baked-eggs.jpg

I made baked eggs yesterday and they were pretty good.

Per egg, put about 1/4 cup frozen & drained cut spinach (or sauteed and drained spinach or arugula) in an oiled ramekin, add a sprinkle of Italian herbs, 1 egg, 1/2 piece side pork crumbled on top, and salt & pepper. Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes (shorter time is for runnier yolk).

I'm planning on making more to have in the fridge for weekday breakfasts. (I'm new, so if this isn't compliant for some reason, please set me right!)

baked-eggs.jpg

I made baked eggs yesterday and they were pretty good.

Per egg, put about 1/4 cup frozen & drained cut spinach (or sauteed and drained spinach or arugula) in an oiled ramekin, add a sprinkle of Italian herbs, 1 egg, 1/2 piece side pork crumbled on top, and salt & pepper. Bake @ 350 for 15-20 minutes (shorter time is for runnier yolk).

I'm planning on making more to have in the fridge for weekday breakfasts. (I'm new, so if this isn't compliant for some reason, please set me right!)

Looks compliant and YUMMY to me!

Hmm, I love eggs so I have yet to run into this problem. I'm a big fan of variety though, so I've collected some non-egg breakfast ideas:

1. http://blog.stuffima...ma-oatmeal.html (New recipe from StuffIMakeMyHusband: Jicama "oatmeal")
  2. http://paleomg.com/r...breakfast-hash/ (New Recipe from PaleOMG: Rutabaga Bacon Breakfast Hash - use sugar free bacon or substitute Pork Belly or compliant Proscuitto for bacon on Whole30)
  3. http://theprimepursu...-for-breakfast/ (Sausage & Spinach Casserole)
  4. http://www.cravepale...ed-bell-peppers (Breakfast Stuffed Peppers - includes eggs, but also loads of other veggies and good stuff! Maybe creative enough where you don't feel like you're just eating eggs)
  5. http://feastofgaea.b...conut-soup.html (Coconut Ginger Soup - if you're not opposed to starting your day with soup)

Hopefully that gives you some ideas!

My best suggestion to get you through the mornings without eggs, eggs, and more eggs would be to embrace the dinner-for-breakfast philosophy of the Whole30. Try thinking in terms of Meal One, Meal Two, Meal Three. That way you're not always looking for a stereotypical "breakfast" food all the time for Meal One. You could enjoy tasty chili, leftover stir-fry, salads, etc. in the morning to start off your day in a balanced and tasty way! :)

My best suggestion to get you through the mornings without eggs, eggs, and more eggs would be to embrace the dinner-for-breakfast philosophy of the Whole30. Try thinking in terms of Meal One, Meal Two, Meal Three. That way you're not always looking for a stereotypical "breakfast" food all the time for Meal One. You could enjoy tasty chili, leftover stir-fry, salads, etc. in the morning to start off your day in a balanced and tasty way! :)

Agree! I've gotten into the habit of calling them "Meal 1, 2, and 3" to get out of the mindset that breakfast needs to be breakfast. I'm not the biggest breakfast fan anyways - I could never get into yogurt, cereal, bagels, etc - so I learned long before Whole30 that it's okay to eat non-traditional foods for breakfast. Eating meat and veggies is probably a lot healthier than a donut anyway!

The only hard part is dealing with judgey eyes in the office when I'm heating up a meatalicious Meal 1! :-P

I need breakfast help too. I am on day 2 and until now I have been drinking protein shakes for breakfast using whey isolate protein, which is not allowed on this challenge because it's dairy derived. However I started drinking shakes in the first place because I don't like normal breakfast foods, i.e. eggs. I can force them down but I really don't like the idea of eating them. So, what does that leave me? I am having a hard time thinking about eating meat and veggies for breakfast.

Maybe you could make a shake with coconut milk and fruit and/or avocado?

My new favorite breakfast is half a sweet potato in the microwave mixed with 1 banana mashed up, sprinkled with a few dates or almonds and a little shake of cinnamon. Delish!!!

Sounds yum Emma, but you need to have a good portion of protein with that too. And dates and banana in one meal is a fair whack of sugar.

Maybe you could make a shake with coconut milk and fruit and/or avocado?

Smoothies are W30 no-no's

Personally, I make an "egg loaf" - minced pork with seasoning, shredded sweet potatoes & whatever other veg you like, and eggs of course! There's a good base recipe on paleomg that you can adapt.

I portion it up & just nuke it for a minute to re-heat each morning.

Really? I didn't realize that. Why are shakes not okay? (provided that what you put in them are compliant?)

A mod could explain more fully, but basically it has to do with satiety and the way actually eating food v. drinking affects your body physiologically. Also, it doesn't do much to change your relationship with food if you are eating the exact same way, just changing up the ingredients you use. Part of the process is to make you intentional about portions, ingredients, and the actual meal.

Really? I didn't realize that. Why are shakes not okay? (provided that what you put in them are compliant?)

I didn't really know this either, however I usually eat the protien/meat/egg part of my breakfast, and take a veggie/fruit/coconut smoothie with me instead of coffee. (yes i quit coffee) I am trying to eat heavier in the morning as by the time i get to work there is a 50% chance I'll get to eat lunch. I drive a LEAST 2 hours a day as well, so in my situation many times its its eat via smoothie or no eat. no eat= crankypants O.o

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I make an "egg loaf" - minced pork with seasoning, shredded sweet potatoes & whatever other veg you like, and eggs of course! There's a good base recipe on paleomg that you can adapt.

I portion it up & just nuke it for a minute to re-heat each morning.

I made the yummiest version of this tonight. 2 handfuls cooked ground pork, onion, four handfuls spinach, 1 grated small sweet potato, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, 9 eggs whipped, and maybe 3/4-1 cup of coconut milk. Baked in dish. It fluffed up and was so good! I can't wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few recipes that I've been enjoying for breakfast - I just make enough to last me through the week on Sundays. Some have eggs, but more as an ingredient than the main food.

Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Spinach Hash

Apple, Butternut Squash, and Bacon

Pumpkin Oatmeal (this one needs a few substitutions to be compliant. I also double the number of eggs for added protein)

Breakfast Sausage (just add spices to 1lb ground turkey, pork, etc)

Pork and Plantain Cuban Breakfast Hash

I just started this challenge on 1/26/13, but I already have a breakfast recipe to share, a breakfast salad to get in some veggies at breakfast time.

a big pile of baby spinach chopped up

half a grapefruit cut into chunks

2 tbs of cashews

1 tbs raisins

olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar

salt, pepper, cinnamon

mix all of the ingredients together and enjoy! I had this along with a breakfast sausage patty to add a little protein. It would probably be good with some eggs too.

That sounds really good, Audrey!

My absolute favorite Meal 1 has been soup. Protein, veggies, and fat all in one bowl! I was a hot cereal fan before, and soup has that same warm, nourishing feeling. Plus it's easy to make a huge batch on Saturday and eat it throughout the week.

I've found that just eggs and veggies isn't enough for my breakfast/meal 1. I have. to. have. meat. My first week I did hard-boiled eggs with veggies and I was miserable. I wanted bacon. Or sausage. Something with some texture, some spice, some flavor! So last week, week 2, I made breakfast sausage patties. I eat 2-3 of them every breakfast, along with 2 eggs, either fried or scrambled, and veggies. I haven't been this satisfied with my food in ages! Even pre-Whole 30 breakfasts didn't measure up (though, to be fair, 2 Lara bars do not a breakfast make).

I have done a lunch meal for breakfast on a day where I'd be in a car for lunch, and it worked wonderfully. Chicken thigh and drumstick, broccoli with clarified butter (I'm too afraid to let it burn to let it go to ghee), and I was good.

Archived