Cara Myers

I need breakfast help too. I am on day 2 and until now I have been drinking protein shakes for breakfast using whey isolate protein, which is not allowed on this challenge because it's dairy derived. However I started drinking shakes in the first place because I don't like normal breakfast foods, i.e. eggs. I can force them down but I really don't like the idea of eating them. So, what does that leave me? I am having a hard time thinking about eating meat and veggies for breakfast.

You might want to double check as Whey Isolate is in its most natural form of protein and may not contain dairy, as other Whey is different. I have 180 powder and it has Whey Isolate Protein and is totally, dairy, gluten and sugar free, the whey isolate is produce from egg and nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally LOVE the turkey with apples for breakfast. But I have also enjoyed Banana

Eggs for a treat....

3 eggs

1 ripe banana

1 tsp cinnamon

1 pinch salt

Heat skillet with coconut oil. Blend ingredients in blender untill smooth. Cook until eggs begin to set and flip. Can add shredded coconut or almonds on top... nutmeg would be good as well!

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily I love eggs, but I am getting a little sick of them eating them every single day! And when I work I usually eat a banana, go to the gym and then heat up breakfast at work... It is hard to think of things to bring that can be made ahead and heated easily AND still taste good.

The other night I cut up a grilled chicken breast real small, mixed with the sweet potato "hash browns" and sauteed some power green (spinach, kale, bok choy mix) with olive oil and garlic and then heated them the next morning. For some reason cutting up the chicken real small made it seem less like a lunch or dinner food! And it seems like a perfect post workout meal!

Sweet potato "hash browns":

Preheat oven to 425

Line baking sheet with parchment paper

Peel and cut up sweet potato into small chunks

Arrange sweet potato chunks in a single layer and drizzle with olive oil

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika

Bake for 25-30 minutes until crispy on the outside and soft inside. YUM!

So far that is the only non-egg breakfast I have done in my 13 days!

I mash avocado onto turkey slices and roll them up! Paired with coffee & fruit it hits the spot. Also LARABARS are great in a pinch.

Do you roast your own turkey? Or have you found compliant turkey slices?? I can't find them anywhere!

Thanks!

My new favorite breakfast is half a sweet potato in the microwave mixed with 1 banana mashed up, sprinkled with a few dates or almonds and a little shake of cinnamon. Delish!!!

I've been having a hard time with sweet potatoes because they just taste too sweet to me now. I've been roasting acorn squash, which is delicious in many recipes or plain as a side. This morning I reheated some with ghee and a sprinkle of cinnamon and it was crazy good. I happened to have it with eggs, but it would be great with some homemade sausage, too. I've been planning on trying this recipe for sausage: http://www.radiancenutrition.com/2012/09/15/cherry-tarragon-pork-sausages/.

My breakfast of choice involves eggs, but it's not a traditional omelet, kind of like a stove-top frittata? (There's probably an offician name for this style, but I don't know it.) The main stars of the dish are the veggies, not the eggs.

About a 1/4 cup or more of each: onions, red peppers, green peppers, mushrooms. On medium heat, saute in a small sauce pot, not a pan, in olive oil or ghee until translucent. Add salt and pepper, garlic powder (or sometimes fresh crushed garlic). Add a handful of spinach for the last minute or so, wilting it down. Sometimes I add more oil at this point.

I use either two or three eggs, depending on how hungry I feel for lots of protein. Whisk with a tablespoon of water per egg, add to the pot when spinach has wilted, stir veggies around in the eggs until evenly spread around. Cover, turn heat down just a bit. Done when eggs have set on top! It's more like the eggs are there to bind the veggies together... great texture, flavor, and just yum to me. Slides out in one piece and fills a small plate!

I've taken to adding a half or whole roma tomato, chopped, on top. Avocado works well too!

• 1 month later...

We had a Whole 30 group and a lot of us do breakfast/lunch "mashups".  Basically, a protein, tons of veggies, maybe a sweet potato, stir fried in Coconut oil.  Sounded gross to me, so it took me longer to try it and then I was hooked.  I usually use some sort of sausage or chorizo (or both), green/red or yellow peppers, zuc squash.  Good with a white sweet potato to make it more filling.  My hubby likes hot food, so jalepenos or other hot peppers and spices are good, too.  You can make a ton once a week and eat it every other day.  I sometimes cook an egg and add it to the mash for variety.  Still have to change things up quite a bit or I get tired of things, too.  But you can make a bunch of varieties of this to keep things interesting!

I love, love, love leftover steak from dinner the night before (I buy 3, 1 for hubs, 1 for me, and 1 for the next day), mixed with cubed sweet potato and onions.  sometimes I add kale, sometimes I add brussels, sometimes I add an egg.  It keeps me going until lunch and there is nothing tastier than steak, anytime of day!

Ground pork or turkey with onions, cabbage, allspice, and either brussels or butternut is also very good.

Have you tried a tuna/chicken salad using avocado as the binder, instead of mayo, with compliant bacon? It is delish. And for egg eaters, you have to try scotch eggs! So good! Then again wrapping breakfast sausage around a hardboiled egg can't ever go wrong! Lol

• 4 weeks later...

when i get sick of eggs, i take up ISW recipe idea of ground pork w/ apples.  i saute one vidalia onion and apple (crisp variety) in olive oil until soft.  then add 1 pound of ground pork.  season w/ salt to taste.  so delish!!  i have tried adding cinnamon and nutmeg as part of the seasoning but prefer just the bit of salt.  something about the apples make it perfect for breakfast.  i like to eat with sauteed kale.

Archived