Hello Everyone!

I finished my first whole 30 on April 24 of this year and I've been battling digestive issues ever since. After my whole 30 ended I began reintroduction of grains and dairy in small amounts. Two weeks passed and I felt completely fine. Then suddenly I began getting extremely ill immediately after eating. At first I had severe pain in my upper middle abdomen, nausea, acid reflux, and vomiting for about three weeks. At one point I even went to urgent care because the pain was so severe I was afraid I had been poisoned or something. Now I'm experiencing bloating, cramps in the lover abdomen, and diarrhea. It doesn't matter what I eat. Everything is making me sick. I've been reading on here that other people have had similar experiences. I'm hoping that someone who has had this can tell me how long it took for your digestive system to get back on track? Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated. 

Thanks so much! 

• Administrators

Yikes, sorry to hear that.  The symptoms that you describe after reintroducing grains and dairy aren't necessarily common.  Vomitting for three weeks is never okay.

Your question about your digestive system getting "back on track", does that mean being able to eat grains and dairy again or are you talking about returning to strict Whole30 and how long it takes to feel better again?

If it's the first one, there's really no way to determine.  Your gut will start to build a thick mucosal lining to protect itself from the irritants (if that's what it was) but there will be other side effects of continuing to eat grains and dairy if they are a problem for you.

If it's the latter, it can take a few weeks of Whole30'ing to heal your gut.  Eating protein, veggies and fats is never going to be bad for you.  You just have to figure out what is bothering your digestive system.

Guest Andria

So how did you do your rentroductions?  Did you do it systematically following the traditional reintroduction protocol or did you do a slow roll?  Did you reintroduce one category of food at a time and include that food category with each meal?  Did you return to Whole30 eating in between each food group?  I ask because you said you did dairy and grain reintros and every thing was fine, but you did not mention if you went through gluten-containing food specifically or other food groups.  Have you only added back in dairy and grains since your Whole30, leaving out sugar, alcohol and legumes up to this point?

It is possible, that even if you did the reintroduction process properly, you could have sailed through it without problem, as you might have a tolerance for those foods individually at a lower intake, but when either eating them regularly or combining them could be the problem.  

Thanks for your response!

To clarify, I was just wondering how long the initial sickness of reintroduction lasted for those effected by it. I plan on keeping grains and dairy in my diet. I don't intend to eat sugar, but I've never eaten much sugar anyway. Honestly, I'm leery of going back to the whole 30 diet after experiencing the aftermath.

As ladyshanny said, vomiting is not a normal reaction to reintroductions.

I wonder if you got a stomach bug?

You might want to schedule an office visit with your doctor to see if something else is going on for you that's causing your current symptoms.

• Administrators

Thanks for your response!

To clarify, I was just wondering how long the initial sickness of reintroduction lasted for those effected by it. I plan on keeping grains and dairy in my diet. I don't intend to eat sugar, but I've never eaten much sugar anyway. Honestly, I'm leery of going back to the whole 30 diet after experiencing the aftermath.

Sorry, I have to say this.  The "aftermath" wasn't a result of the Whole30.  You said yourself that you were feeling fine up until 2 weeks after going off of it.  There is nothing about the Whole30 that causes the reaction that you are having, especially multiple weeks later.  What can cause that reaction is your body rejecting irritating foods such as those that you added back.

You might consider honouring the messages that your body is trying to send (pain, bloating, diarrhoea) and remove the grains and dairy again.  At least until your stomach is healed.  If you then reintroduce these items in a very systematic way (separate whey from casein when doing dairy, separate gluten from non gluten, rice separately etc.) you could potentially figure out what is causing you this discomfort.

Guest Andria

Andria,

I ate one at a time with 2-3 days of whole 30 between each. I haven't reintroduced sugar, legumes, or alcohol. Some of the grains I've eaten contained gluten.

I see now that you mentioned vomiting.  As Chris and Ladyshanny said, vomiting is not a common reaction to reintroductions.  However, those with celiac disease can definitely have nausea and vomiting if gluten is consumed.  Did you introduce gluten containing grains separately from non-gluten containing grains?

It's possible you may have an issue with larger quantities, combined food groups (dairy and grains at the same time, i.e. pizza), or eating these foods for a longer duration causing a cumulative effect.  I have this issue. I can eat a small amount of almost any of the food groups and be fine, but once I open the door and eat them freely and in combination over a period of time I have issues.

Well, I definitely would not fear going back to the Whole30; I would be more tentative going forward with these food groups you wish to keep in your diet.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just completed my first Whole30. I noticed some skin improvements, and overall felt pretty good. I didn't lose much weight (about 3 pounds), and I didn't necessarily get "tiger blood" but I also didn't have a hard time with it and even the beginning was more or less easy with no nasty symptoms. Overall I really enjoyed it and actually want to do it again in the very near future.

Now however, I am VERY slowly starting to reintroduce and everything I try hurts. I decided to go with the "slow roll" for my reintro so basically the only thing I changed from full Whole30 was lightening up on the "no added sugar" rule. So I tried some chicken maple sausage, uncured bacon that had a minor amount of brown sugar, etc. Not anything WAY off, just a small allowance for some sugar in the flavoring. Oh boy my stomach is not happy! These are still organic products with limited ingredients - all of which are W30 approved ingredients other than the rather small amount of added sugar. I tried them, went back to W30 for a few days and felt really good, then tried them again and had the same reaction (I just had to experiment to be sure THAT is what was causing my issue.) Could I really be having bad reactions to sugar - and a very tiny amount of sugar at that? Now I am afraid to try anything else off plan. Help!

• Administrators

Hi @erinw30 - this is a fairly common issue and one that has been discussed extensively. Melissa also wrote an article about exactly this thing:

DEAR MELISSA: EVERYTHING I REINTRODUCE SEEMS TO HURT

I've gone ahead and merged your thread about this with another that was the same. We do recommend doing a quick google search because most everything has been discussed before and you'll find lots of experiences and helpful info. I googled "Whole30 reintro hurts" and got at least a half dozen forum threads. 

Archived