klk25

Almond Flour

40 posts in this topic

I made a muffin receipe for the Whole30 program. It was a receipe found in one of the resource guides.

It contained egg, pure vanilla, lemon juice from a fresh lemon, lemon zest, fresh blueberries, coconut oil and 1/2 cup almond flour.

Are these not OK to eat on the Whole30 program?

Then why is it in one of the resource books? I cant remember off the top of my head which one it was.

Fresh fruit is not OK?

Fresh fruit is ok, 1-2 pices a day, pref with meals, not as a snack.

But re-creating a baked muffin with paleo ingredients isn't.

Klk25, I can guarantee that it isn't in a Whole9 publication. Perhaps the Paleo Recipe Book linked onour site? There are several recipes in that cookbook that aren't Whole30 approved. They are fine for life after. Always compare recipes to the program guidelines.

Sunshine, as long as it is pure with no alcohol, sugar or other non-W30 approved ingredients, I'm pretty sure it's okay to put a drop or two to flavor your coffee. I like to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over the coffee grounds before making a pot. Oooh, that tastes so nice! Like a pumpkin spice latte from $tarbuck$ without the questionable ingredients.

So... is almond flour out altogether? I don't need it personally, but my husband and son made some meat loaf with some almond flour in it, and now we're in a discussion as to whether almond flour is out altogether, or whether it's the dessert / muffins issue. Can you clarify? If almond flour is out altogether, what's the difference between eating some nuts and adding almond flour to a recipe?

So what about a not sweet Pre/post WO portable protein pancake made with eggs, coconut milk, almond meal and coconut flour.... Eaten plain... I made this a few weeks ago. I made two and as it was at least 3 days before I got around to using the second one I figured I wasnt using it as a swypo dish....

Here's the thing: There's a difference between a "pancake" and a fried disc of stuff.

For example, if I make a "batter" out of sweet, eggs, and coconut flour and serve it next to a steak, that's fine EVEN IF I call it a zucchini pancake. But, if I eat that same thing with some sauteed fruit and coconut milk as a topping, next to some eggs and bacon, its OUT.

The difference is context. In a grab-out-of-the-cooler post workout context, I'm gonna call those protein discs okay. Are there easier PWO options? Yeah. Will I get concerned if this goes to breakfast and/or dessert status, yeah. But one or two of these per week as grab and go PWO nutrition doesn't worry me.

Oh Robin, you are so good. I was wanting to say "just don't use the word pancake or talk about topping it", but that seemed like such lame answer. Love the term "disc" and your explanation was so perfect. :)

Found a recipe for salmon muffins that calls for almond flour...ok or not?

I'd say that's fine, since it's a binding agent for the salmon, like you'd use for meatballs or meatloaf/meat muffins.

ETA: Robin posted as I was typing, so I'd defer to her experience. :)

I'm assuming that it's like salmon cakes, which is definitely okay, but just in case... ;)

ETA: Because it would be me that's like, "yeah! go ahead!" and it's totally like a Red Lobster cheese biscuit thing...

Miranda Feamster likes this

Thank you both! I prepared a list of a lot of yummy but approved recipes and bought all the ingredients for them so that I would have no excuses :) This is the only one that I worried about because the word "flour" screamed NOOOO haha! Glad it's ok in this recipe though