Almond Flour

klk25

I made a muffin receipe for the Whole30 program. It was a receipe found in one of the resource guides.

It contained egg, pure vanilla, lemon juice from a fresh lemon, lemon zest, fresh blueberries, coconut oil and 1/2 cup almond flour.

Are these not OK to eat on the Whole30 program?

Sunshine, as long as it is pure with no alcohol, sugar or other non-W30 approved ingredients, I'm pretty sure it's okay to put a drop or two to flavor your coffee. I like to sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over the coffee grounds before making a pot. Oooh, that tastes so nice! Like a pumpkin spice latte from $tarbuck$ without the questionable ingredients.

• 2 months later...

So... is almond flour out altogether? I don't need it personally, but my husband and son made some meat loaf with some almond flour in it, and now we're in a discussion as to whether almond flour is out altogether, or whether it's the dessert / muffins issue. Can you clarify? If almond flour is out altogether, what's the difference between eating some nuts and adding almond flour to a recipe?

Here's the thing: There's a difference between a "pancake" and a fried disc of stuff.

For example, if I make a "batter" out of sweet, eggs, and coconut flour and serve it next to a steak, that's fine EVEN IF I call it a zucchini pancake. But, if I eat that same thing with some sauteed fruit and coconut milk as a topping, next to some eggs and bacon, its OUT.

The difference is context. In a grab-out-of-the-cooler post workout context, I'm gonna call those protein discs okay. Are there easier PWO options? Yeah. Will I get concerned if this goes to breakfast and/or dessert status, yeah. But one or two of these per week as grab and go PWO nutrition doesn't worry me.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a recipe for salmon muffins that calls for almond flour...ok or not?

I'd say that's fine, since it's a binding agent for the salmon, like you'd use for meatballs or meatloaf/meat muffins.

ETA: Robin posted as I was typing, so I'd defer to her experience. :)

Archived