Why does every can of tuna contain soy??

I haven't found any tuna that I can actually afford that is soy-free. I've switched to canned salmon, which in my part of the world is cheaper, and it doesn't have soy.  Some folks like Wild Planet brand tuna, but where I live that's like a mortgage payment per can, so I don't buy it.

We like Wild Planet albacore. It's pricey, but we don't eat tuna often.

You might check out Costco. Kirkland brand albacore contains tuna, water, salt. (Your location may have different ingredients.)

-sailor

I use Genova Tonno or Cento Tuna

It's packed olive oil and salt

Around here it's $1.60 can

If you prefer you may drain and/or rinse it

Serve with olives chopped tomato celery onion

With mayo or olive oil and red wine vi what on salad or arugula

Sardines and Makerel are also good choices

Bought King Oscar $1.99 can olive oil n salt

If you're near a Trader Joe's, I've found the canned tuna at my store to be compliant (always check labels - ingredients can vary by region). Some people have had better luck with the tuna in pouches at a regular grocery store.

The thing is, many of us grew up with the idea that canned tuna was a cheap source of protein. In my household growing up, a can of tuna was further stretched by adding several chopped hard boiled eggs.

So I just can't wrap my brain around paying so much money for canned tuna.

So I buy canned salmon and sometimes sardines and mackerel. They seem to fit the spirit of how I think about canned fish products better than Whole30 compliant canned tuna.

So I buy canned salmon and sometimes sardines and mackerel. They seem to fit the spirit of how I think about canned fish products better than Whole30 compliant canned tuna.

Those taste better than tuna anyway!

I also add hard-boiled eggs, but never thought of it as stretching, just tastes awesome. :)

Here is another vote for eggs in tuna salad! Growing up, that is how my dad always made tuna salad. The BIG can of starkist albacore tuna and 6 hard boiled eggs, then onion, dill, season salt (out now because of all the sugar that is in it :( ) pickles, pepper, garlic powder.... and mayo. yum! It is how I make my tuna now, and i stretch the Wild Planet tuna I get with eggs pretty close to 50% 50%. soooo good!

Here is another vote for eggs in tuna salad! Growing up, that is how my dad always made tuna salad. The BIG can of starkist albacore tuna and 6 hard boiled eggs, then onion, dill, season salt (out now because of all the sugar that is in it :( ) pickles, pepper, garlic powder.... and mayo. yum! It is how I make my tuna now, and i stretch the Wild Planet tuna I get with eggs pretty close to 50% 50%. soooo good!

You can experiment with your spices and make your own "season salt!" I frequently put cayenne, salt, black pepper and even curry powder (yum!) into my tuna salad.

If you are near a Costco, they carry wild planet tuna. At my local Costco, it runs 5 cans for 14 dollars. Spendy, true, but I don't make tuna salad very often, but it is nice to have on hand. I like to keep water pack and olive oil pack sardines on hand as well. 

I looked this up the other day and this is what the starkist tuna website said about soy. I have not looked to see if any of my local groceries have the varieties they mention that are just tuna and water:

What kind of vegetables are used in the vegetable broth?

Vegetable broth is added to some StarKist Tuna products as a flavor enhancer. The broth must consist of two or more of the following: beans (including soybeans), cabbage, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, parsley, peas, potatoes, green or red bell peppers, spinach, or tomatoes.

If you have dietary restrictions or allergies to any of these ingredients, you might want to try StarKist Low Sodium Chunk Light or Very Low Sodium Chunk White Tuna in cans* (which contains only tuna and water). Also, StarKist Gourmet Choice® Solid Light Tuna Fillet, packed in water or olive oil, does not contain vegetable broth.

I looked this up the other day and this is what the starkist tuna website said about soy. I have not looked to see if any of my local groceries have the varieties they mention that are just tuna and water:

What kind of vegetables are used in the vegetable broth?

Vegetable broth is added to some StarKist Tuna products as a flavor enhancer. The broth must consist of two or more of the following: beans (including soybeans), cabbage, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, parsley, peas, potatoes, green or red bell peppers, spinach, or tomatoes.

If you have dietary restrictions or allergies to any of these ingredients, you might want to try StarKist Low Sodium Chunk Light or Very Low Sodium Chunk White Tuna in cans* (which contains only tuna and water). Also, StarKist Gourmet Choice® Solid Light Tuna Fillet, packed in water or olive oil, does not contain vegetable broth.

I have the low sodium pouch in my fridge right now, and it has vegetable broth (soy) on the ingredients list.... So they don't know their own product very well.

I am so bummed about this soy in Tuna thing. I made it to day 29 before realizing that I probably ate 8-10 cans of soy-laden tuna throughout this (my first) Whole 30. It continues to astound me how the strangest ingredients show up in the most unlikely places. My fault for not reading the label. I did just purchase a soy-free Wild Caught Tuna in spring water and the brand name is Natural Value. It was $2.55 usd which is not bad IMO.

Today is Day 30 and I have lots of mixed feelings. I feel proud of myself and can acknowledge many non-scale victories, but I am also going to continue for another 30 days without a break due to the soy consumption and a few other factors. My sugar dragon still gets the best of me at times (via Larabars and dried fruit) and I am still learning how to build a proper meal that will sustain me for 4-5 hours. Grateful for this forum and all I am learning!

• Administrators

I like to see this, Ramona.  Not that you got "got" by soy, that sucks.  But that you are taking it in stride and self examining yourself and determining that you could use a little more healing time.

As far as larabars and dried fruit go, if you make sure that you are getting enough fat with your meals and at least one serving of starchy veggie a day (and more around your period, probably), it makes those cravings much less prominent.  :)

I found compliant Wild Planet tuna .... at Walmart, of all places.

Correction - it was Ocean Naturals. Ingredients: tuna, water, salt.

Yep, I think the trick is to go for tuna in spring water rather than EVOO. I'm in the UK but that aside I have yet to find a brand of tuna in spring water that has anything else added except salt. 

Yep, I think the trick is to go for tuna in spring water rather than EVOO. I'm in the UK but that aside I have yet to find a brand of tuna in spring water that has anything else added except salt. 

Funny, where I am I have found the opposite to be true. All the tuna packed in water that I have found contains soy bc of vegetable broth, but all the tuna packed in oil is just tuna and oil. They don't have the Wild Planet where I am, I looked on Amazon but its just too pricy, I don't really need to eat canned tuna, although I love nomnompaleos spicy tuna cakes!

I like to see this, Ramona.  Not that you got "got" by soy, that sucks.  But that you are taking it in stride and self examining yourself and determining that you could use a little more healing time.

As far as larabars and dried fruit go, if you make sure that you are getting enough fat with your meals and at least one serving of starchy veggie a day (and more around your period, probably), it makes those cravings much less prominent.   :)

@ladyshanny: Thank you so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate the acknowledgment and advice.

I did not make good use of the forum until the end of my first try which could have saved me a lot of grief. I can see how participating here can make a big difference. I just started a log for July and my first post explains my resolution to start over in a little more detail, in case anyone is interested:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28976-w30-2-aka-w60-but-not-really-july-2015/

• 8 months later...

Not only do most brands of canned Tuna contain soy but so do most brands of mayonnaise. Many salad dressings, sauces and thousands of processed food products contain soy. I want to stop eating soy altogether but I find it very difficult to when it is hiding in almost everything. I am concerned with the level of Mercury in Tuna fish as well. I don't believe in this "safe level for consumption" stuff. I want to see the FDA doing way more to protect us from dangerous substances but that may not ever happen.

Archived