Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

• Administrators

Um ... recipe please??  :)

2 pounds ground chicken (I use ground chicken thighs as it's moister...if you use ground breast, add some of the bacon fat for richness)

1 pound bacon, diced and cooked until very crispy, then drained

1 bunch cilantro chopped

a handful of chives from the garden...or a couple scallions

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

Form into patties...and then in that magical depression that you make in the middle of a burger to stop it turning into a baseball when you cook it? You jam a bunch of pickled jalapeños.  

I would have preferred to mix the jalapeños into the burger meat but husband doesn't like spicy so I had to do it so that he could pick them out/off.

I grilled the ones I have on hand right now but have also done them in the oven...on a rack placed on a cookie sheet and baked at 500F for 10-12 minutes.

• Like 12

• Moderators

Elvis Burger!?!? My eyes just popped out of my head. It's 7:30 am and my mouth is watering. You, dear woman, are a genius!

Thanks, but I didn't come up with it. It's One of the variations of Melissa Joulwan's sb&j burgers in one of the Well Fed cookbooks, I think.

Breakfast today was 2 BIG mugfuls of a variation of the gingered zucchini soup in well fed 2. I started out with green onions, 4 cloves of garlic, fresh ginger, 2 zucchini and leftover steamed broccoli from dinner last night. Cooked till the zucchini was really tender -- about 45 min then I added in 4 HUGE handfuls of power greens (chard, kale, spinach) and let them wilt down.OH and I cooked it in bone broth that I am still simmering-- just ladled out what I needed for the soup and put the lid back on the bone broth! Poured it in batches into my food processor and blended away! Chopped up a hard boiled egg and mixed it into my mugs of soup and had a meat patty and raw bell pepper along side. Yum!

• Like 3

• Administrators

Breakfast today was 2 BIG mugfuls of a variation of the gingered zucchini soup in well fed 2. I started out with green onions, 4 cloves of garlic, fresh ginger, 2 zucchini and leftover steamed broccoli from dinner last night. Cooked till the zucchini was really tender -- about 45 min then I added in 4 HUGE handfuls of power greens (chard, kale, spinach) and let them wilt down.OH and I cooked it in bone broth that I am still simmering-- just ladled out what I needed for the soup and put the lid back on the bone broth! Poured it in batches into my food processor and blended away! Chopped up a hard boiled egg and mixed it into my mugs of soup and had a meat patty and raw bell pepper along side. Yum!

Oh, I love the idea of putting power greens in!  I love the silky gingered soup, no reason why not to cram a whole bunch more nutrient density into it!  Smart!

• Like 2

Cauliflower and curry are best friends.

I've eaten pretty much the same breakfast every day this week: shredded cabbage, sweet potato, protein, maybe another veggie. Today it was leftover shredded pork, diced sweet potato instead of shredded, and leftover roast green beans along with my cabbage. Seasoned with 21-spice, a bit hit of salt, and some avocado oil. There was leftover lamb shoulder in the fridge, but I've decided that I can't handle lamb first thing in the morning.

• Like 1

You also gotta eat more...!!  ;)

You're right, I do... I could make excuses about having three kids under 4 and a husband that all need to be out the door by 7am every morning so it's a miracle I remember pants some days, but I don't serve anyone any favors that way. Making notes on all the recipes I've found and planning to do some more batch cooking this weekend. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I thought to post this shot of my breakfast prep this morning.  On the weekend I diced 5 bell peppers, 3# green beans, a bunch of steamed potatoes and some ham (note, the ham is not compliant but I am not on Whole30).  Now in the morning I just throw a handful of each into a frying pan with some fat, go blowdry my hair and pour a coffee and breakfast cooks itself.  Wash out one frying pan when the food has been plated and you're done!

photo%207_zpsbp24qnpw.jpg

Note: the ham is non compliant but you could do the same with cooked chicken, cooked ground pork/beef, chopped roast, chopped pork chops etc.  Repeat, the ham is not compliant.

• Like 12

I thought to post this shot of my breakfast prep this morning.  On the weekend I diced 5 bell peppers, 3# green beans, a bunch of steamed potatoes and some ham (note, the ham is not compliant but I am not on Whole30).  Now in the morning I just throw a handful of each into a frying pan with some fat, go blowdry my hair and pour a coffee and breakfast cooks itself.  Wash out one frying pan when the food has been plated and you're done!

Note: the ham is non compliant but you could do the same with cooked chicken, cooked ground pork/beef, chopped roast, chopped pork chops etc.  Repeat, the ham is not compliant.

I'm curious about how you steam the potatoes prior to finishing them in the skillet. Are they partially or fully cooked? How long in the steamer?

• Administrators

I'm curious about how you steam the potatoes prior to finishing them in the skillet. Are they partially or fully cooked? How long in the steamer?

They are the purple skinned fist sized potatoes. I quartered them and steamed them until they were done enough to eat as is.  Then I let them cool and cubed them into the bag.  They are the sort of potato that is a bit...er...sticky? So they hold together pretty well. 

Curry for breakfast today! the grilled chicken in curry sauce from the w30 book (oven baked not grilled). With green beans, cauli rice and cocoa toasted cauliflower. All leftovers, all delicious. I'm sad it's gone.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Trying to eat through the fridge before we leave on holidays creates some...er....odd meals.

Breakfast this morning:

Bed of spinach

Leftover grilled peppers & pineapple (note, the pineapple was SO tart when I cut it earlier this week that it was inedible.  Grilling it made it so sweet it was like candy!)

Chopped up chicken breast tossed in a 50/50 mix of mayo & Frank's Red Hot

photo%209_zpsh6bjow66.jpg

• Like 4

Garbage breakfast today! It's payday and we will be going shopping after hubby gets home-- so it was clean out the fridge day for breakfast! 1 LARGE yellow onion, sliced up, an orange bell pepper, sliced up and sauteed with the onion in avocado oil, a meat patty and 4 HUGE handfuls of spinach -- the last of a bin of spinach -- that cooked down to maybe 1/2 a cup or so and a pickle. I also topped my burger with a scoop of ghee. 

• Like 1