Alternative to coconut aminos

Mich

Hi,

I am having trouble locating coconut aminos in Australia. There are a few places that you can use to import it but they are all out of stock.

Any suggestions as an alternative for making a stir fry?

Michelle

• Moderators

You could use a balsamic vinegar as an alternative. The taste is different, but it could work. In some situations, you might use fish sauce. Again, the taste is different, but it could work.

I like coconut aminos, but actually don't use it very often. I never was big on soy sauce, which is what it replaces so well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MichB- Not sure if you managed to secure any yet, but I was finally sucessful! The website below has them in stock and will deliver. They are in Sydney, but they aren't near me so they actually hand delivered it to my office! But they ship through the Australia Post as well:

http://www.thecoconutshop.com.au/shop/

Hope that helps!

UPDATE: they have coconut sugar in them - I've posted in the "Can I have?" forum to see if this is okay (I am guessing no).

• 5 years later...
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Worldismyoyster said:

I did search the forum and found a couple of old threads - am wondering if anyone has since come up with a better solution than vinegar+fish sauce.

I loooove my soy sauce and totally hate CA. 

thank you!

What are you wanting to use it for?  In recipes, you can just leave out and season to taste, usually adding more salt... If for dipping like with sushi, I'm not sure there is a similar substitute to soy sauce...

• Moderators
Just now, Worldismyoyster said:

yeah, for sushi :( 

Ya, I've never heard of anyone finding something that is similar... when I use coconut aminos for sushi, I just make sure to load up on the wasabi (check for compliance) 

I've also moved your post to another thread with more posts as we like to try and keep the forum tidy.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators
9 hours ago, cchappell79 said:

My husband is allergic to coconut. What is a good substitute to coconut aminos?

I'm not sure there really is one. If you read through this thread there were a few suggestions that might work. Honestly, I rarely use them, and if I don't have them on hand and a recipe I'm making calls for them, I'll skip them and maybe add a little more salt, or maybe add a bit of vinegar. 

Archived