Chicken Apple Sausage?

ladyhoward

I have read many posts from people mentioning that they eat chicken apple sausage. I have looked at the ingredients on all the ones in the grocery stores and health food stores by me. What brand are you guys using? Maybe I can just order it online then . . . . . already ordered compliant meats from Applegate Farms website and delicious jerky from Grassfed . . . . what did I do before the internet?? :unsure:

Applegate's brat-style chicken and apple sausage is compliant. I think (but don't quote me - check the label) that their frozen breakfast chicken and apple sausage may have some kind of sugar in it. Oddly, they carry many varieties of Applegate brats in the Whole Foods and natural foods stores around me but most DON'T have the apple flavor, so when I find it I buy a bunch and freeze them. :)

I'm pretty sure Lou's is also compliant. Nieman Ranch may be. Just keep reading labels. :) I haven't found any (chicken and apple) in a traditional grocery store that are compliant.

I didn't like Aidell's but that's probably personal preference. It is, however, available in the regular groceries around here.

I like it sliced and mixed with cabbage, a few spoons unsweetened applesauce and a dash of cinnamon. Buy itself is good but not spectacular. Nice for variety and convenience though!

I have bought most compliant chicken sausages that I've come across and have discovered that if I don't love them, mixing them with other stuff usually helps a lot. The last batch (Applegate Italian Sausage) had too much fennel for my taste so I chopped it and put it into egg muffins with sweet potato and onion. I've also thrown other sausages into kale sautees.

• 2 weeks later...

I take the Aidell's chicken apple, halve it, cut into half moons, brown it and make a sweet potato hash with it. Or halve it and brown it and serve with sweet potato cakes (mashed baked potato, egg and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice) topped with coconut butter. YUM!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I take the Aidell's chicken apple, halve it, cut into half moons, brown it and make a sweet potato hash with it. Or halve it and brown it and serve with sweet potato cakes (mashed baked potato, egg and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice) topped with coconut butter. YUM!

I just drooled lol!  I found these sausages on Maxwell AFB.  I'm in love.  I am totally going to have to make sweet potato cakes now.

Costco sells the Aidell's also at a good price.  I don't think I'll buy them for my next W30 though, 'cuz having them around made me lazy about making other things.  I don't like them much on their own sitting on a plate but, like others, I like them fried up with sweet potatoes (and leafy greens - I'm partial to broccoli rabe).

I can find Aidell's that is compliant. I've also been getting a buffalo chicken sausage that is really good. I don't know the brand... And chicken Italian sausage. I mixed that with some eggs & spinach and have been eating it with sweet potatoes the past few mornings.  I can't find bacon, but I can find sausage!! haha!

• 6 months later...

Aidell Chicken and Apple sausage. I've found it at Kroger and its compliant.

Can't remember if its Aidells or Applegate Farms but one of them has a Sweet Italian and also Fire Roasted Pepper that is compliant. FYI

Applegate's Sweet Italian is compliant.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So everyone is saying that when the ingredient in sausage states "juice concentrate" that is compliant. I am confused b/c my lemon juice concentrate in a bottle has suflites in it, so what makes the juice concentrate in sausages any different.I have been reluctant to buy Aidelles or any other brand b/c the all have this juice concentrate in it. ( Side note-My husband and I did find "Volcano Burst" lime and lemon concentrate that does not have sulfates)

What about Joyce Farm's Sundried Tomato and Basil chicken sausage? Anyone try it? The website description reads as if it is compliant? Does anyone know for sure. I know that sometimes sundried tomatoes even those that are "organically grown" have preservatives to retain the color.

So everyone is saying that when the ingredient in sausage states "juice concentrate" that is compliant. I am confused b/c my lemon juice concentrate in a bottle has suflites in it, so what makes the juice concentrate in sausages any different.

sulfites are a known allergen, and the package would be required to state that sulfites are included if they were there. If it doesn't say it has sulfites, the juice concentrate is free of sulfites.

Archived