Apple cider?

mymeow

Hi!  I'm new to all this.  I'm starting the whole30 next week and trying to make a menu.  I bought the Whole30 30-day guide and found a recipe for beef braised ribs in the crockpot that I want to try, but it calls for 2 cups of apple cider.  Is there something I need to look for when shopping for apple cider so I don't buy the wrong one?  Or is there a specific brand you recommend?  Thank you!

When purchasing any food with a label for a Whole30, the guidance is the same: read the ingredient listing to ensure compliance.

For cider, you'd basically want to ensure it's apples and water (no sweeteners or other nasties).

Also, only use cider as you currently planned - in a savory recipe.  Don't use it to drink by the glass on a Whole30.

• 10 months later...

When this thread talks about apple cider they're not talking the hard stuff as all alcohol is out - including vanilla extract. Any kind of fruit juice is fine for adding to recipes, just not for drinking.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

There is a recipe in the book calling for vanill extract. What do you do for that

I had no plans on drinking it but if it's in a recipe and is non compliant why is it there ?

Which book and which recipe has the vanilla extract? That has to be some kind of mistake, because they've made it very clear that vanilla extract is not okay, so if they haven't noticed it before, they might want to check it out.

If you were trying to make a recipe that has vanilla extract in it, you can get vanilla beans (scrape the insides out,as shown here). I've heard there are also compliant vanilla powders, but have never actually found one myself.

As far as juice, this is the official word from the Can I Have list -- basically, you could drink it and be compliant, but it's definitely not your best choice:

Fruit Juice: Yes

Fruit juice is the only acceptable added sweetener on the Whole30. (We had to draw the line somewhere.) Use it to flavor sauces, soups, or entrees.

Tip: While drinking a glass of fruit juice may be technically compliant, we really wouldn’t recommend it, even if you juice it yourself. Juicing strips many of the nutrients out of the fruit, but still leaves all of the sugar. We’d much rather you just eat the fruit.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.FfJQFhsG.dpuf

There is a recipe in the book calling for vanill extract. What do you do for that

I had no plans on drinking it but if it's in a recipe and is non compliant why is it there ?

Which book and which recipe has the vanilla extract? That has to be some kind of mistake, because they've made it very clear that vanilla extract is not okay, so if they haven't noticed it before, they might want to check it out.

If you were trying to make a recipe that has vanilla extract in it, you can get vanilla beans (scrape the insides out,as shown here). I've heard there are also compliant vanilla powders, but have never actually found one myself.

it's in this one book I have or I read it somewhere. REason it stuck with me is because I love Vanilla Extract.. Making some myself by the way;)  

so, If I find it again, I will come full blast riding fast. saying here it is. Here it is. I knew I saw it somewhere.. lol 

• 6 months later...

Archived