Day 13 and just diagnosed with Hashimotos

I was recently diagnosed hypothyroidism when I was postpartum with second baby, tsh 7.6 (a few months ago). I'm working with a naturopath, on supplements. Found out I have hashimotos today. I read one food to cut out with an autoimmune is eggs-I've been eating a TON more since starting whole30 almost 2 weeks ago.

I know it is recommended to do one regular whole30 before an aip (is this just eliminating nuts, eggs, nightshades?), but I can't help but be concerned I'm making things worse by all the dang eggs I'm eating! I'm breastfeeding too, don't want to affect my babe.

Thanks in advance for the expert advice!

• Moderators

Eating a variety of proteins is always best, but you are not telling us anything to suggest eggs are a problem for you. Having a diagnosis of Hashimotos does not mean you are harming yourself by eating eggs. Take things one step at a time. See how things go with this Whole30. You can consider moving on to the AIP protocol later.

To learn what you can eat on the AIP approach, you might want to review the AIP shopping list: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-AIP.pdf

Thanks Tom, good to know! I have noticed some symptoms of hypothyroidism increasing in past two weeks-dry skin, thirst, difficulty sleeping, fatigued, shortness of breath-perhaps its one of those "gets worse before it gets better"? That's what I've been telling myself.

Thanks for the link too.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's awhile back and opted to do 6 weeks on AIP. I didn't notice a difference in how I felt either on the diet or when I did reintroductions so I've opted to keep nuts and seeds, nightshades, and eggs on my plate. Eggs are a fantastic source of nutrition (especially for pregnant, soon to be pregnant, and nursing women) and I didn't have enough personal evidence to exclude them.

It's a little hard to point fingers as to the cause of your symptoms since you've got several things going on. Pregnancy can impact thyroid function, the stress of not enough sleep with a young baby adds to the mix, people often experience an energy slump at some point during their Whole30 so it could be lots of things. You're already taking good steps in seeking care from a health professional and focus on nutrient dense eating. If this is your first Whole30, it may be too early to tell whether or not you really need to try AIP. You might consider extending your Whole30 depending on how you feel and what's going on in your life. You have another two weeks before you have to start making those decision though so keep paying attention to your body.

• 6 months later...

I have been dealing with Hashimotos for 3 years now. Switching to Armor Thyroid has helped me much more that levothyroxine. I have never had an issue with eggs. How ever I did notice amazing results from cutting out gluten. My mother also has this condition and she was advised to go off of gluten by her dr to help her hashimotos. It turned out that I actually was allergic to gluten and it was what was causing my migraines and caused me to violently vomit for no reason. We are all very different and everyone has different triggers. A friend of mine said nightshades were a big trigger for her hypothroidism. The only way you will know what bothers you is to eliminated it for a period of time and reintroduce it to your system to check for a reaction.

People also tend to associate no eggs with AIP, but lots of people don't have eggs on Whole30 (don't like them, can't get them, allergic) so you can do yours without them if you need to. Just make sure you actually have a problem with them first, I did 30 days without eggs for one of my Whole30s and I was surprised to have no reaction when I reintroduced them.

I thought for awhile I had a problem with eggs or egg whites but it turned out to be the kind of eggs (I wasn't very consistent with which ones I bought).

I have no trouble with organic free range eggs (I buy more expensive eggs now), but the cage eggs and even non-organic free range eggs I sometimes have a reaction to (I think it's what they feed them, maybe wheat but not sure).

Whole30 and Reintroductions will really help you identify any foods that make you feel less well (it's the same purpose as the AIP but less restrictive).

Archived