Where do you buy your sunbutter?

Tracy R.

The only sunbutter I've found so far has dehydrated cane syrup in it. 3g per serving

Where do you purchase yours w/o sugar?

FYI - If you have access to a VitaMix (yours or one you can borrow) then you can grind a lb of sunflower seed butter for about $3. :) I get roasted sunflower seeds at Trader Joe's for it. I think the ones at Whole Foods had canola oil.

You can also make your own using a cuisinart food processor. I don't do nuts or nut butters, but everything I've read says buy raw and toast your own in a pan. I tend to agree because I know buying toasted pine nuts for pesto is nothing like toasting your own and it only takes a minute or two.

I am making sunbutter for a friend of mine (needs a non peanut butter to take to school) with my cuisinart using a recipe that I like the looks of. Guess my Cuisinart will be going for ten minutes, so I'll let everyone know how that goes. No Vitamix in my near future, so that will have to do. The recipe calls for olive oil at the end to get the texture just right. I am toying with the idea of mac oil, but maybe that would be weird.

I'm pretty far from WF so I called them yesterday and asked if they'd check the ingredients for me. All the ones they had I was told had cane syrup. :( I pass a different WF when I take my youngest to therapy in Atlanta, so I'll check that WF next time he has an appointment.

slw600, let me know how that goes, please. I don't have a VitaMix and don't see one in my near or far future. lol I do have a Cuisinart though, so very interested on how that goes for you.

I'm pretty far from WF so I called them yesterday and asked if they'd check the ingredients for me. All the ones they had I was told had cane syrup. :( I pass a different WF when I take my youngest to therapy in Atlanta, so I'll check that WF next time he has an appointment.

slw600, let me know how that goes, please. I don't have a VitaMix and don't see one in my near or far future. lol I do have a Cuisinart though, so very interested on how that goes for you.

I will let you know. I am making it tomorrow after work. I have all the ingredients. I think I am going to do 3 little experiments and make a little with olive oil, a little with mac oil and a little with coconut oil. My poor Cuisinart. :)

I looked in Whole Foods with no luck also, and Trader Joe's is also non-compliant. The only SunButter [brand name] that is compliant is the organic one. I found it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...anic+sunbutter.

It says it is processed on equipment that also processes soy beans. I wonder if that's enough to make it unacceptable during whole30?

I'm about to make my own, so I'll check back in with results.

Experiment over. I made the sunbutter in batches. It's a little disturbing how long it takes to reach the right consistancy and then I added coconut oil to one batch and mac oil to the other. I followed these instructions minus adding the sugar. I think toasting the seeds is key (the already toasted seeds seemed really bland to me) and making sure you process until it's kind of shiny.

http://prudentbaby.c...utter-recipe-2/

Thanks for posting the link. I might give making my own a try.

Could you tell a difference in taste between the two different oils? Which did you prefer?

Oh, meant to comment on the difference. I found the mac oil to have a stronger flavor that I can't tell if I liked with the sunflower seeds or not. That's not much help. :) The coconut oil didn't change the flavor of the seeds at all. I could barely detect it and I use Nutiva which I think is pretty strong in flavor compared to others I've tried. The other option would be to use light flavored olive oil. I use that for my mayo.

Oh, meant to comment on the difference. I found the mac oil to have a stronger flavor that I can't tell if I liked with the sunflower seeds or not. That's not much help. :) The coconut oil didn't change the flavor of the seeds at all. I could barely detect it and I use Nutiva which I think is pretty strong in flavor compared to others I've tried. The other option would be to use light flavored olive oil. I use that for my mayo.

I'll use the coconut oil then, if I give making it a try.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what part of the country you live in, but Winco foods and Fred Meyer both sell the Maranatha brand mentioned above. Only ingredients: sunflower seeds and sea salt.

Winco has the best price, last time I bought it was $4.86

Oops, just noticed you are in GA

I found good sunbutter at WH today. I also got some of the cashew butter from the bulk section. Wholly molly!! That is some good nut butter. It's a good thing WF is so far from me. It will keep me from buying it often.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've made nut butters in my Cuisinart before with no problem. I agree that it does seem like it's in there *forever*, but home made raw almond butter was SO SO MUCH better than any almond butter I'd had out of a jar that I just don't buy it in jars any more.

I might try making my own sunbutter too. I've had the Maranatha (whole30 compliant) and the TJs (NOT!) and they are both tasty.

Archived