Coconut amino

Coconut aminos are made from coconut sap and can be used as a replacement for soy sauce.

As to where you can get it that depends very much on where you are.

Personally I've never bothered with it but I have seen it on Amazon.

• Moderators

personally prefer fish sauce for umami. 

I would too, but compliant fish sauce in Canada is a myth unfortunately.

Jwillow, I've bought Coconut Aminos off and on for a few years and honestly, if you can't find it, make whatever recipe without it... everyone I've tried is still delicious.

I would too, but compliant fish sauce in Canada is a myth unfortunately.

Jwillow, I've bought Coconut Aminos off and on for a few years and honestly, if you can't find it, make whatever recipe without it... everyone I've tried is still delicious.

Red Boat fish sauce is available on Amazon and, I think, through Thrive Market. Not sure if Thrive ships to Canada (and if so what the cost might be).

• Moderators

Ya, I guess I should have said that it's a myth except for people who want to spend exorbitant amounts of money on shipping... it's completely ridiculous and totally unrealistic... I'm considering making my own fish sauce... it's basic fermentation and it's actually fresh sardine season at the moment!

• 1 year later...

new to this, I'm sure this question has been answered, just couldn't find it.  The book recommends Coconut's Secret coconut amino's...but the label on the product shows 1g of Sugar, which clearly is not allowed.

I'm I over thinking this?  The label can say 'sugar' but as long as the list of ingredients doesn't show any added sugar (dextrose, artificial sweeteners, etc), then I'm good, right?  Appreciate the help...day one starts tomorrow!!

1 hour ago, tmwinkler said:

new to this, I'm sure this question has been answered, just couldn't find it.  The book recommends Coconut's Secret coconut amino's...but the label on the product shows 1g of Sugar, which clearly is not allowed.

I'm I over thinking this?  The label can say 'sugar' but as long as the list of ingredients doesn't show any added sugar (dextrose, artificial sweeteners, etc), then I'm good, right?  Appreciate the help...day one starts tomorrow!!

@tmwinkler Think of it like this: If apples grew on the tree with nutritional labels and you picked one off the tree, you'd look at the label and see sugar. But the "ingredients" in that apple are just the apple! Naturally occurring sugars are fine. It's the ingredients list you have to watch, regardless of what the nutrition label says. 

I just want to sing the praises of coconut aminos!  I just bought it yesterday for the first time and had serious doubts.  Yes, it is sweeter than soy sauce.  Does it work as a replacement?  Absolutely.  Would I still use it outside of W30 instead of soy sauce? YES.  

I actually purchased these because both my boyfriend and I LOVE poke bowls.  I wanted to marinate the tuna for 30 minutes beforehand and used this to do so....amazing stuffed in half an avo! 

Archived