Dinner Out

jsunnen

Required to eat out next Monday and trying to plan ahead. Options are Buffalo Wild Wings, an Italian restaurant or Mexican. (sigh) I could probably lead the choice so what is my best bet and what should I eat. At that point I will only have 7 days left to complete the Whole30 so I really want to finish strong!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Required to eat out next Monday and trying to plan ahead. Options are Buffalo Wild Wings, an Italian restaurant or Mexican. (sigh) I could probably lead the choice so what is my best bet and what should I eat. At that point I will only have 7 days left to complete the Whole30 so I really want to finish strong!

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Tough choices, but doable. I would look at each of their menus (most have them online) and choose by what they offer. Grilled fish tacos would work with lettuce vs tortillas. Watch out for fajitas..they are almost always cooked in butter and who knows what the quality of that butter is. Many Italian restaurants have really nice pork and fish dishes that you could make acceptable with a few tweaks.

Guess what I found out?! Buffalo Wild Wings fries everything in 100% BEEF TALLOW! Not good for my vegetarian friends but great for me! I just brought home dinner for the family. I ordered traditional flats plain and came home to combine ghee and approved buffalo tabasco for my sauce. They were FABULOUS!

Please tell me if there is something I am missing here but I think I just found my emergency fast food :)

I feel like I've done pretty well at Mexican restaurants.

Order the carne asada, sub the rice and beans for a salad (and ask for some olive oil and vinegar) , add some guacamole.

Carne asada is pretty standard (vs fish tacos-- which might be breaded), so you should be OK.

I ask if there's any sweeteners in the salsa or marinades (usually not an issue for carne asada) and if there's any dairy in the guacamole (I know it's not uncommon to add sour cream to thicken it up).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is great information to know. My good friend just asked me if I could eat at BWW. I wasn't sure so I thought I Google it and I'm glad I did. Thanks for sharing this information.

Recognize that this discussion happened back in 2012. It would be worth your while to get the latest and greatest allergens information at the restaurant if you choose to visit. 

If they still use beef tallow, I would question the quality of it.  I would be shocked if it's from grass fed animals. 

I just looked at the allergens list from BWWs, and older allergen lists state they use "deodorized beef tallow, BHT and citric acid (to protect flavor), and Dimethylpolysiloxane (as a stabilizer)," however the latest one, if you go to their main website and look, says beef shortening. This sounds like beef tallow to me, but I am not 100% certain.

I cannot find a list on their website about the sauce ingredients, but I believe that either the actual restaurant should have the information in a binder, as well as on the bottles that they sell. They have dry rubs now (salt & vinegar, lemon pepper, etc) which might have a better chance of being compliant.... or bring in your own. I bet no one would notice or care.

• Administrators

They post the entire allergens list here! Looking at options for dinner tonight!

http://www.buffalowildwings.com/Global/Allergens%20Zone%202FINAL.pdf

Unfortunately this is just an allergens list, not an indication of complete ingredients so you still need to ask questions about things like sugar or sulphites.

You might actually do better at mexican, you could have dry grilled fajita beef with extra veggies & guacamole?

Archived