July 21st Start

lunabear54

Today is weird...I woke up fine and even did a workout at the gym. Less intense, but a workout nonetheless! : )  Then hunger hit like a punch in the gut.  I could not wait to broil this steak I had and veggies. My avocado looked amazing. Shortly after I started to eat I was full. Not to get personal already, but my belly got all bloated. I could not finish the food. And now, I'm tired. Just weird.

Hope that's not too much sharing!! Better luck to all of you.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too much at all..It sounds like hunger swings tend to go to either towards one extreme or the other during this first week (and during my first whole30, I was STARVING, then couldn't finish food like you're explaining). I'm on the other end this time, no real hunger (even with exercise) but my sugar cravings are definitely worse. I really struggle right after lunch (today had frozen berries and almond butter and felt guilty about it). Learning the hard way that having nut butter in the house isn't a good choice for me. 

Hope you all are having a better third day!

I agree, it isn't too much info. I think this is exactly the place for talking about what's happening. We all share the experience - I know my friends do not want to hear about my diet. It's like listening to other people talk about their house renovations. It's only interesting if you are doing it yourself! :)

I'm pretty hungry today too. More so than yesterday. I don't feel hungover anymore. 

@Jordan - don't feel guilty. It just adds a layer to the level of suck of the first few days. I think that getting through the best you can, figuring out what didn't work and moving on is good. You were trying to problem solve hunger with fruit and protein. Maybe it isn't what you want to do next time, but it's going to be a long haul. 

My struggle is with eating fat. I am breastfeeding and am suppose to be eating 4 meals a day - which means four servings of fat with each meal. I've already had two avocados. I cannot eat another one today. And I love them. But I feel the fat options are limited. I am not drinking coconut milk and cannot eat olives (*shudder*) so that leaves me coconut meat and nuts.  I worry I shall have to resort to drinking olive oil. again *shudder*.  What are you guys doing about fat? It feels weird adding a serving of fat with meals such as salmon. or eggs. 

@Ramonax - is 4 serving of fat with each meal a recommendation for breastfeeding? Just wondering.

Generally I don't watch the fat portion of my meal as closely as protein/veg. This is because I cook with tons of fat and a lot of my meat sources already fatty (as long as they're grass-fed etc.). I think my veggies/meat definitely soak up some fat when I'm cooking because I end up with a lot less in the pan. Also, some meals will have tons of fat for me (like a whole avocado), and others I'll have only cooked with fat and not added any besides that. 

Other ways to add fat... you could add olive oil or other oils to salads, or even coat veggies with it after they're cooked (akin to putting butting on veggies before serving). Really you could drizzle oil over any protein or veg, or put a pat of clarified butter on top of your salmon, steak, etc. Many people use the homemade mayo in tons of different ways, and it's a great source of fat!

Oh and I just remembered, sometimes I used to make little balls of coconut oil and freeze them, and pop them into my mouth after a meal with some blueberries. You could also mix coconut oil with different nut butters and freeze them in little squares too! Yum.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

@Ramonax - is 4 serving of fat with each meal a recommendation for breastfeeding? Just wondering.

Ha! I mean 4 servings of fat a day - one/meal. The four meals is recommendation for breastfeeding. I think faster than I type. 

And thanks for the amazing ideas. Never in one million years would it have occurred to me to freeze coconut oil. game changer!

Ha! I mean 4 servings of fat a day - one/meal. The four meals is recommendation for breastfeeding. I think faster than I type. 

And thanks for the amazing ideas. Never in one million years would it have occurred to me to freeze coconut oil. game changer!

Ahhh that makes much more sense! Haha.

Glad to be of service! Good luck!  :)

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the support! I agree that this IS the place to share. I am grateful for those of you that have done this before...great tips and tricks.

@Jordan: about your almond butter/berry snack. Isn't that a perfect combo snack? I mean I know they say not to snack, but yesterday that full/bloated feeling lasted so long that another "meal" didn't sound good. When I finally wanted something, I had 10 raw, whole cashews and 10 Bing cherries. That sounds like a different version of your snack. Isn't that okay? Since you have past experience, do share, please!!

And here we go onto Day 4. This is the Day of the Sugar Dragon/Cravings according to the "time line." Oh, and the "Kill All Things" day, too.  ;)

Hope we have no "murder" stories...best of luck for a triumphant day!

@Jordan: about your almond butter/berry snack. Isn't that a perfect combo snack? I mean I know they say not to snack, but yesterday that full/bloated feeling lasted so long that another "meal" didn't sound good. When I finally wanted something, I had 10 raw, whole cashews and 10 Bing cherries. That sounds like a different version of your snack. Isn't that okay? Since you have past experience, do share, please!!

Actually, we advise against using fruit and nut butters as snacks.  We recommend limiting nuts as a fat option on a Whole30.  Fruit is optional on a Whole30: if you're going to have it, and the recommendation is to have fruit with your main meals only, not as a snack (too easy to feed the sugar dragon).  

Further, if you're bloated, nuts aren't going to help you. Some folks avoid nuts altogether on a Whole30, because they find they give them digestive distress.

If you are genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat. Nuts are a fat on a Whole30.

I agree, it isn't too much info. I think this is exactly the place for talking about what's happening. We all share the experience - I know my friends do not want to hear about my diet. It's like listening to other people talk about their house renovations. It's only interesting if you are doing it yourself! :)

I'm pretty hungry today too. More so than yesterday. I don't feel hungover anymore. 

@Jordan - don't feel guilty. It just adds a layer to the level of suck of the first few days. I think that getting through the best you can, figuring out what didn't work and moving on is good. You were trying to problem solve hunger with fruit and protein. Maybe it isn't what you want to do next time, but it's going to be a long haul. 

My struggle is with eating fat. I am breastfeeding and am suppose to be eating 4 meals a day - which means four servings of fat with each meal. I've already had two avocados. I cannot eat another one today. And I love them. But I feel the fat options are limited. I am not drinking coconut milk and cannot eat olives (*shudder*) so that leaves me coconut meat and nuts.  I worry I shall have to resort to drinking olive oil. again *shudder*.  What are you guys doing about fat? It feels weird adding a serving of fat with meals such as salmon. or eggs. 

Hey there- I am also breastfeeding (down to 4x/day) and am doing CrossFit, so I totally feel you on the fat situation!

Have you ever heard of bulletproof coffee?  I'm not sure if you are drinking caffeine (I started when my baby was about 4 months old and it has had no visible side effects...he still naps, sleeps, etc)... I find it's a great way to add fat to breakfast.

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I put a cup of coffee, 1 tbsp. clarified butter, and 1 tbsp. MCT oil or coconut oil in a blender, and blend until mixed and there is foam on top.

Also I've found that making some of the sauces/dressings from the Whole30 book and having them on hand helps.  That way I just spread the fatty dressings on top of stuff that I've already made.  Example: Ranch dressing on top of a cob salad...  If I don't have the dressings / mayos pre-made, I stare into my pantry wondering "whaaaaat do I eat for fat..." And if I have these already made, BOOM, just use that.

Maybe we can message each other about this stuff if needed- sorry everybody for this long fat / breastfeeding rant.

Candace

I survived yesterday!  It was a bit of a challenge though.  I went to a concert last night in a seated venue where you could order dinner if you were so inclined.  I had scoped out the menu beforehand and had decided to go with a salad asking if they could remove three items. But the salad wouldn't have any protein... so I had brought a couple of hard boiled eggs and my own salad dressing.  It seemed to work out pretty well.

Today I'm a bit sluggish but I've brought a ridiculously huge lunch today.  I keep having the I'm hungry now!  in the afternoons.  Guess I'm still adjusting to appropriate meal sizes.  Such as maybe breakfast isn't big enough.  Typically a delicious jumbo egg and sweet potato.  This morning I upped it to two eggs and sweet potato with onions.

@Midna - thanks for the input! Everyone's situation is a little bit different and nut butter/frozen berries isn't a great choice for me given the context: sugar dragon (cue dopamine hit) is my biggest hurdle and I used a technically compliant treat to prop my cravings. I also wasn't all that hungry.. I ate more out of habit/boredom/anxiety, which is what I'm trying to get away from. 

I know I feel my best and healthiest when I get into a groove of mostly protein/veggies/fat with something like an apple maybe once a day. 

Being on my second round is a bit of a double-edged sword because I know how great I can feel when "Tiger Blood" phase kicks in (it's a very real thing, just wait) and my close start to fit more comfortably, I'm sleeping better, my skin is clearer and feel more emotionally stable. Knowing what's down the road means that I'm impatient with myself during these early stages and trying to use willpower to overcome the roughness of the first few days is a frustrating process. 

But, it's just that...a process. Thankful for the learning opportunity and to have such great community support!

@IronGirlTrixie- way to plan ahead, girl...  I have turned down a couple social invites thus far, as I try to get a good foundation eating at home before I venture out into that eating-out territory!  It's about time to go for it, though.  You just went for it.  I like it.

Also, I am no expert.  I mean.  I'm on day 3.  But I'm just going to be the first to say it sounds like you need to eat more (as you suspect, it sounds like).  I know everybody is different, and everybody's BODY is different, but this morning I had a plate FULL of sweet potato and pork hash, topped with an egg, with coffee, clarified butter, and coconut oil.   Granted, I'm fueling up for a workout later in the day, and breastfeeding, but that was just meal 1. 

I look forward to hearing more about how it's going!!!  For example- how did you fare after today's breakfast? : )

Candace

Today I'm a bit sluggish but I've brought a ridiculously huge lunch today.  I keep having the I'm hungry now!  in the afternoons.  Guess I'm still adjusting to appropriate meal sizes.  Such as maybe breakfast isn't big enough.  Typically a delicious jumbo egg and sweet potato.  This morning I upped it to two eggs and sweet potato with onions.

When eggs are you sole protein, the recommended serving size is the number of whole large eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs.  Also, be sure you're getting enough fat. Much of the cooking fat stays behind in the pan, so account for that to consume sufficient fat.

Thanks, GFChris for your help.  I just remember in the time line example of Day 1 she wrote, "...so you grab a handful of almonds and an apple and head back to your desk...".  Maybe that is an example of TRUE hunger, so a healthy snack.  I appreciate the tie-in of nuts and abdominal distress.  I will definitely be attentive to that now. Glad you are out there noticing our "thread".

@Jordan: thanks for sharing your story and I love the self-awareness...a feat in-and-of itself!!  You are destined for success with knowing your triggers. :D

@IronGirlTrixie: I second Candace! Way to plan ahead. And Candace, in my opinion, if we can talk about bloating right away, we can talk about breast feeding!

This will be a long post, but I just have to share. I started this forum with a comment about my teenagers being done with my health-kick endeavors. Guess what they had for breakfast??  A turkey patty, 3 scrambled eggs and a side of baked sweet potato "chips" drizzled with olive oil. Granted, their eggs and meat were sprinkled with cheddar cheese and one of my boys "needs" ketchup(organic, of course!), but I still felt an evil laugh coming on....GOTCHA!! And it was washed down with a glass of almond milk. 

BTW...I hate cheese, so no temptation there! Ditto for ketchup. Anyway, thanks again to all of you. I am loving the support.

Thanks, GFChris for your help.  I just remember in the time line example of Day 1 she wrote, "...so you grab a handful of almonds and an apple and head back to your desk...".  Maybe that is an example of TRUE hunger, so a healthy snack.  

Hmmm ... I can see how you would interpret that statement that way. I understand how it would be confusing to read that and then hear we want you to use protein, veg and fat for any between meal snacks.  Thanks for sharing how it could be misinterpreted!

I made mayo for the first time ever guys!!! So excited, I had to share.

Feeling great on day 3! Not tiger blood but I can already tell the different from the past few months... no bloating or feeling gross in the evenings. I love how fast the Whole30 works! It really does start with food  :D

I have been all over the place today - feeling tired, then having energy, then I went for a run because I felt like going!!! but then grouchily said to my partner "I AM GOING TO BED EARLY TONIGHT". I don't feel like killing all the things, but I don't feel like myself. And last night I had vivid dreams about accidentally eating pieces of cookie and bread. 

@Jordan, thanks for talking more about the berries/nut butter. I too have been snacking on apple and cashew butter - and while I feel I legitimately need the food at that time (i.e. I could eat steamed spinach and fish) I realized that I am using apple for the sweetness. So I'm going to think on that. 

@Minda - I can always get behind tricking teenagers to do things for their own good. HA!

@dizzylizzard - how was it! I am going to try this weekend. Also going to make some sunshine sauce!

@Candace - thank you for being my fat-breastfeeding support! I have not tried bulletproof coffee. I use to nurse 5x a day, and now 8x a day. For some reason, since I started this thing, he has been demanding milk more and more. I'm not sure why? Maybe my production was going down? maybe he is use to sugar in my supply and he is dealing with cravings too? maybe he is just being a tyrant? 

okay, gotta go prep the pork chops. 

I have been all over the place today - feeling tired, then having energy, then I went for a run because I felt like going!!! but then grouchily said to my partner "I AM GOING TO BED EARLY TONIGHT". I don't feel like killing all the things, but I don't feel like myself. And last night I had vivid dreams about accidentally eating pieces of cookie and bread. 

@dizzylizzard - how was it! I am going to try this weekend. Also going to make some sunshine sauce!

Vivid dreams already! I usually don't starting getting them until day 10 or so. So many morning waking up feeling like I ruined everything... and then the joy of realizing it was dream! 

It turned out really well! I didn't expect it to, I was happily surprised! Pic: https://instagram.com/p/5f_jckBprv/?taken-by=lizzard_eats

My main tips are the same as everyone elses - make 100% sure all ingredients are room temperature, and pour the oil very, VERY slowly.

@dizzylizzard-awesome pic of the mayo! I'm going to try this weekend, too. And I just bought sun butter for the sunshine sauce! Looks like great minds think alike. Can't wait to hear more. Week-ends can be tricky around here for me...not the same routine, husband with a drink in the sun, blah, blah.

I've got lots of food already prepared and La Croix sparkling water! No sweat. Actually, sweat is my distraction if the cravings/temptation get to me...nothing like exercise to save the day. Here's to another successful day!

Whoa! Y'all are sounding/doing great! It got a little crazy over here but sorted itself out in the end, I think.

Adding another egg helped in the morning. Thanks Chris for that tip!

When lunch rolled around, I double checked one of the ingredients that I thought was approved.... Turns out it wasn't. Just say no, people, to the Coconut Secret Teriyaki sauce. I winded up having one of our building lunch places build me a salad. It probably wasn't enough because I did wind up using an emergency snack.

Dinner rolled around and I was definitely ready to kill all the things. Luckily new snack bars had arrived to slow down the grr... Until I could whip up dinner. Which was fine. I questioned whether dancing would be a good thing or not but I went and my mind cleared up a bit. Although the power was off in the park when I got there. I should've known it was going to be a crazy day when my whole 30 daily didn't show or got deleted somehow. No worries. It was resent and today's arrived just fine.

Planning on making sauces, getting menus together and hanging out with friends this weekend. Good luck everyone!

I've noticed a couple things over the last two days. Last night at dinner (spaghetti squash, tomato meat sauce and spinach/peach salad) I had a fairly normal sized plate for me. It looked just like real spaghetti and normally I wouldn't get full on the amount I served myself. (seriously, if there was a pasta eating contest I would win. then eat more) But I was Las Vegas Full (you know, the way you feel after a buffet dinner in Las Vegas) after 3/4 of a plate. Same with this morning at breakfast when I had leftovers. I feel a bit more aware of my body's signals for satiety/satiation, which is not a common feeling for me. I can really notice the difference in how I feel when I eat the meals on this program vs. my typical bag of m&ms or pasta or chocolate chip cookies. fullness comes faster and is very clear. like a guy with megaphone in my head "THAT IS ENOUGH FOOD! YOU CAN STOP EATING"

The other thing I realize is the emotional reaction to feeling this full. I know logically I didn't eat that much, and what I ate was nutritious. But I feel this kind of guilt/self loathing, which would normally lead into this hopeless kind of logic "well, if I ate that much, it doesn't matter if I eat more". I am hoping to learn more about how  to untangle the layers and layers of emotional reactions and associations with food. And see that I have to retrain myself about how much I need to eat and what the feeling of fullness on real food means vs. 'fullness' on not healthy food.  

and finally, as long as we are sharing everything... I cannot. stop. peeing! 

@Ramonax: Wow...that is crazy similar to me.  I just told my eldest son this morning, as I was moving quickly in the kitchen preparing breakfast, that this program has made me feel like when I'm hungry, I'm HUNGRY! When I am done it's like you said, "STOP!"  When I am tired and thirsty, same thing. Like I have never had these clear-cut signals before. And, not to sound like a copy-cat, I have struggled with being full. This old voice comes in, "Oh, great, you did it again..."

Then I say, "Wait a minute...that was the BEST thing I could have eaten!"  I have had to really become aware of this and allow my mind AND body to FEEL. Because the other beauty of this fullness is that it lasts for HOURS and carries me through until I get that, "HUNGRY" signal. Yesterday I felt hungry and my first thought was, "Really? Again already?" When I looked at the clock 5 hours had passed since breakfast. I was sooo excited to REALLY eat.

So...much exciting discoveries, with more to come. Thanks for sharing!! And, strangely, I have NEVER felt so thirsty...you know where THAT'S leading... ;)

@Midna @Ramonax - How did the sunshine sauce and mayo go? I actually just wrote about the whole satiation thing in one of my recent instagram posts (it's kind of like a log for me). I definitely agree, when I'm doing the Whole30 my body's signals are just so much more clear!

I was a little bit "kill ALL the things" today. I just wanted to be left alone. I'm really hoping the "I just want a nap" phase doesn't hit me tomorrow, because I want to make myself go on a run. I started C25K the day after I started this Whole30, hoping to get myself into running. Anyone else working toward a new fitness challenge while on this Whole30?

How's everybody doing?!

I'm on Day 6, and that sounds a lot better to me than 1, 2 or 3!  6!  I'm really doing this, woo hoo!!!

I am so glad the book reiterated "planning and preparation" a million times, because if it weren't for that....I'd be toast.

@dizzylizzard, way to go with the C25K... I have done that and was really pleased with the results.  I was OUT OF SHAPE when I began, and by the end, 5k was no problem!

Archived