July 21st Start

lunabear54

I do while30 on a very low budget, about £30 for two of us a week (and the cat)...sometimes £25 depending on what else is going on. We live in an expensive area in an expensive country food wise. I don't look for recipes online, I cook my own, my European families basic recipes or my ex's parent's Chinese dishes that I've adapted with a few food treats such as steak or salmon now and then. A lot of whole roast chickens, mince recipes, liver, roast veg, mashed veg etc and I use carcasses of meat to make stock. I make mayo at least once a week with light olive oil. I wouldn't dream of ordering expensive things such as coconut aminos that we can't get locally, we just do without. I use salt in place of soy sauce.

I don't buy organic, no way I can afford that here...it's extortionate, but I do buy free range eggs.

I'm a good cook so I'm aware that helps but I make everything we eat from scratch inc my son's packed lunches (left overs usually)...it's the cheapest way I know.

I don't have any more money so I have no choice.

Incidentally it don't spend more than I used to pre whole30...our budget hasn't increased.

My fab place to shop is aldi and my local market veg stall...with trips to nicer grocery stores for a few things they don't stock

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am definitely spending more - but for me it is the meat. I don't normally buy that much. Normally I eat beans/legumes/quinoa for protein. I live in an area where food is very expensive and selection is limited. (i.e. the $21 yams) I can get free range beef, but only once a year when some local farmers sell it. It does not come to our grocery store. No free range chickens/pork either. So I maybe use to spend $100-200/month on meat, I am now spending close to $400. I am also ensuring I always have enough groceries, where as normally I wouldn't worry and just grab a sandwich or whatever from downtown. Now I don't eat out. So I imagine I am saving money there, but overall, spending more.

So lots of wine, chocolate, and cheese (or dairy)! I'm pretty much on the same page. I think I'm actually going to keep going for a couple days and save my first reintroduction for Saturday, when I'm going out with friends.

@PowerTool - I don't find my budget much more than usual (for me this is around $120/mo for one person) as long as I stick to the cheapest version of the shopping list. E.g. the "Good" version of meats, so just store bought not necessarily amazing quality. I also try to buy only veggies/fruits that are really cheap (in season) and force myself to cook with those instead of buying anything for specific recipes. I search for recipes focusing on what it is I already have in my fridge and then improvise on ingredients. As well, I don't splurge on any of the more expensive hot-ticket W30 items like nut butters, packaged snacks, expensive oils, coconut aminos, etc

Of course, I treat myself once in awhile to grass-fed beef or avocado oil. But in general, those are my rules for keeping it cheap. I've done 3 W30's on a student budget so it's definitely possible! It can take a lot of work though and willpower to find ways to make anything taste good.

OMG. I made this for supper. I cannot stress enough that you must immediately make it and eat it. IMMEDIATELY. I used boneless chicken breasts (it's what I had) cooked for about 50 minutes. Amazing. 

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-oven-fried-chicken/

Thanks for sharing a delicious recipe!

Do you have a legit olive oil sprayer, or did you use a canned kind from the store?

I do have a legit - 2 legit to quit - olive oil sprayer. I have owned it for years, have never used it before last night. 

I too had a food dream. I was babysitting these kids who were eating mac n'cheese. I cleaned up their plates and popped a bit into my mouth. Then I remembered, I'M NOT SUPPOSE TO BE EATING WHEAT AND/OR CHEESE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I can start a new forum, will call it July 21 FINISHED! and will send out link. 

Michelle

I too had a food dream. I was babysitting these kids who were eating mac n'cheese. I cleaned up their plates and popped a bit into my mouth. Then I remembered, I'M NOT SUPPOSE TO BE EATING WHEAT AND/OR CHEESE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I could totally see myself doing that. Today's dream... Eating donuts. The jelly kind. The jelly isn't even that good most of the time.

I could totally see myself doing that. Today's dream... Eating donuts. The jelly kind. The jelly isn't even that good most of the time.

On my first W30 I had dreams about eating ice cream out of giant pails... It wasn't even good ice cream, and I don't even like ice cream that much!

OKAY...here it is...DAY30!!  Unbelievable. I have been so busy getting school/college stuff ready for the kids I haven't been here. I had a dream that my mom was having a party and she had all these different chocolates (fruit-filled, mint, almond) that she needed sorted into little bowls.  I told myself I could have ONE of the mint ones since I was sooo close to being done.

Ugh...it turned into an eating frenzy...one in the bowl, a handful in my mouth. I looked up from the counter and thought, "Nooooo!" I woke up all sweaty!

I am actually scared of that in real life. I think I have more than one Sugar Dragon!!

@Michelle-I will be looking forward to that link. I am so grateful that you all are interested in staying connected. I am not all the wonderful things I hoped of becoming in these 30 days, but I AM a different person. And that is TOTALLY exciting to me.

Treat yourselves like Royalty today....WE ARE CHAMPIONS!

I had a dream that my mom was having a party and she had all these different chocolates (fruit-filled, mint, almond) that she needed sorted into little bowls. I told myself I could have ONE of the mint ones since I was sooo close to being done.

Ugh...it turned into an eating frenzy...one in the bowl, a handful in my mouth. I looked up from the counter and thought, "Nooooo!" I woke up all sweaty!

I am not all the wonderful things I hoped of becoming in these 30 days, but I AM a different person. And that is TOTALLY exciting to me.

Treat yourselves like Royalty today....WE ARE CHAMPIONS!

I thought I'd doing the same thing except it wasn't a dream and it was something I wasn't 100% was ok and I was afraid of I took one sip, I'd want the whole bottle and that would defeat the purpose.

I also didn't get all the awesome I was expecting. But some things have changed and I'm ok with that. I'm going to try reintroduction since there are a few events coming up but I'm definitely gonna try another Whole30 shortly. Can't wait to see that link and keep chatting with you all. Cause we are awesome for succeeding!

@Midna - that dream sounds so scary! The sugar dragon getting hold of me once we're done is actually a really big fear of mine, my sugar dragon makes me want to eat ANYTHING bad. I've learned eating sugar is a trigger for my cravings of grains, cheese, salty snacks, etc too.

Hope everyone is having an awesome day 30! It continues to surprise me how much I learn from every Whole30. While it didn't do everything I was hoping for, it did help with a lot of things I didn't even think to hope for. I feel so much better than I did just 30 days ago!

Archived