Sweet Potato 'Chips'

CharlotteWhole30

Hello!

Does cutting up sweet potatoes in to chips and roasting them, then eating with some pan fried fish go against the spirit of the program? I wanted to get some advice before I endeavour and potentially harm the process  :) I'm on Day 10 and am not giving up!

I make them somewhat frequently (or I did before it got so hot out) for dinners that had steak or chicken etc. I think as long as you aren't using them like a pre-packaged chip (think dipping in guac or salsa sitting in front of the tv and before you know it the bag is gone) then you're fine :D

That's awesome to hear! Thank you so much. So as long as it is a controlled portion I should be fine!

I make them somewhat frequently (or I did before it got so hot out) for dinners that had steak or chicken etc. I think as long as you aren't using them like a pre-packaged chip (think dipping in guac or salsa sitting in front of the tv and before you know it the bag is gone) then you're fine :D

• Administrators

As long as you are not deep frying them and are making them at home, you're fine.

This about chips/fries was written when white potatoes were allowed back in but includes making "chips" out of anything.

"Chips: Not if they are store bought."

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find potato, tortilla, or plantain chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. For most of us, deep-fried, salted, crunchy chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, no store-bought chips of any nature (potato, plantain, tortilla, beet… not even kale) on the Whole30. Feel free to roast your own kale, pan-fry your own plantains, or bake your own sweet potato spears at home, however.

If you're taking the time to slice and prepare these chips at home, then they're compliant as long as you're not deep frying them. Commercially produced chips of any sort (sweet potato, kale, plaintain, etc.) are out, but you're welcome to  make them yourself by baking or sauteeing.

From the Can I Have guide:

"Chips: Not if they are store bought."

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find potato, tortilla, or plantain chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. For most of us, deep-fried, salted, crunchy chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, no store-bought chips of any nature (potato, plantain, tortilla, beet… not even kale) on the Whole30. Feel free to roast your own kale, pan-fry your own plantains, or bake your own sweet potato spears at home, however.

Edit: Ladyshanny beat me to it!

• Administrators

Can you shallow pan fry? Like in an inch or two of oil, or would that be too "deep." Just wondering for future reference.

I think that would still qualify as deep frying so I'd say no.  Sometimes I thinly slice potatoes and sautee them in a tbsp or so of fat for a breakfast hash but they never become "chip like".  As soon as you're making crunchy chips in any significant quantity of oil, stop yourself.  :)

I think that would still qualify as deep frying so I'd say no. Sometimes I thinly slice potatoes and sautee them in a tbsp or so of fat for a breakfast hash but they never become "chip like". As soon as you're making crunchy chips in any significant quantity of oil, stop yourself. :)

I didn't plan to as baked sweet potato tastes FANTASTIC to me, and I have no desire to prepare them any other way right now. But I figured it might come up. :-)

• Moderators

Personally, I love making roasted sliced sweet potato. They're not really thin enough to be chips. Another great option is Japanese sweet potato fries. Purple skins, white interior, they're super starchy. I cut them into fries by hand and toss them with melted coconut oil and salt, then roast. Amazing.

• Administrators

Personally, I love making roasted sliced sweet potato. They're not really thin enough to be chips. Another great option is Japanese sweet potato fries. Purple skins, white interior, they're super starchy and cutting them into fries by hand and tossing them with melted coconut oil and salt, then roasting. Amazing.

I have a serious love affair with the Japanese sweet potatoes and can only find them a few months of the year.  :(

Can you shallow pan fry? Like in an inch or two of oil, or would that be too "deep." Just wondering for future reference.

I think that would still qualify as deep frying so I'd say no.

Ya, I think what makes it deep frying vs. regular frying or sautéing is that the food is submerged in the oil.

As a Brit I have never really eaten chips except for occasionally with fish so I don't really get the no chips (fries in the U.S.?) rule as for me I'm not replacing anything I'd eat off before whole30. As children my mother refused to get a chip pan and oven chips didn't really existing in the 70s here so no chips except in incredibly rare, 6 monthly trips to the chip shop. I have made oven wedges out of potato a few times over the last year but they are just cut up baked potato really, no association with a previous food.

It's like the pancake thing, I've never eaten pancakes except on pancake day (Shrove Tuesday) and though it would never really cross my mind to make whole30 ones if I did would they still be sexwithmypantson if they hadn't been sexwithmypantsoff before?

Just always interested me!

As a Brit I have never really eaten chips except for occasionally with fish so I don't really get the no chips (fries in the U.S.?) rule as for me I'm not replacing anything I'd eat off before whole30. As children my mother refused to get a chip pan and oven chips didn't really existing in the 70s here so no chips except in incredibly rare, 6 monthly trips to the chip shop. I have made oven wedges out of potato a few times over the last year but they are just cut up baked potato really, no association with a previous food.

It's like the pancake thing, I've never eaten pancakes except on pancake day (Shrove Tuesday) and though it would never really cross my mind to make whole30 ones if I did would they still be sexwithmypantson if they hadn't been sexwithmypantsoff before?

Just always interested me!

For most of us, chips and fries are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow commercially-prepared fries or chips, or deep-frying starchy veggies and turning them into fries or chips during your Whole30. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/#sthash.QWbMvwZG.dpuf

Regardless if your oil is smothering them or only 3/4 of the way up your slices....there is no deep-frying and turning them into fries.  

BritishGal - it's the formations of foods that make people go crazy pants and cuckoo for cocoa puffs, french fries and pancakes.  Many have made Paleo breakfast cereal out of dried coconut chips,  fruit or dried fruits and coconut, nut milks.  They try to replicate an old favorite. They let their imagination recreate a swapped out version for the old original.   SWYPO.

The ingredients are compliant but it constantly stirs up the mind and keeps the cravings going for the real thing.   After dreaming about the real thing,  it makes 30 days more of a struggle. Quite often on Day 31,  they're right back at the old favorites.  

If you've noticed,  there's no struggle or angst over recreating a steak, burger, or piece of Cod.

It's only the old multi-crap that keeps the mind stirred up.  Those highly engineered to be craved foods are the fly in the ointment.

I'm really bad with food meadowlily but a lot of the foods people talk about here (pizza? Never really got the attraction...) aren't my issue foods ;) I have plenty of my own though...I limit cauli mash nowadays as mashed potato was once a massive crutch comfort food and I did find myself growing slightly too attached to the substitute!

I'm really bad with food meadowlily but a lot of the foods people talk about here (pizza? Never really got the attraction...) aren't my issue foods ;) I have plenty of my own though...I limit cauli mash nowadays as mashed potato was once a massive crutch comfort food and I did find myself growing slightly too attached to the substitute!

Falling back into bowls of pasta, pizza and bread.  Cauli-mash,  you're alright.  I could never mistake cauli-mash for mashed potatoes with sour cream, butter and heavy cream.  Go ahead and enjoy your cauliflower. 

I do love my cauliflower now ;) Not that I hated it before whole30 but the British way is smothered in cheese sauce so not so healthy!

I just have butter and s/p in mash (mother's way) so mashed cauli with ghee is very similar (my son prefers it to potatoes so that's a win!)

Are you guys sure that cutting up sweet potatoes, throwing them in extra virgin olive oil and paprika then throwing them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees is OK?   ...because I had them with my food for lunch just now and they tasted AMAZING. Like... they should be forbidden good. lol 

Are you guys sure that cutting up sweet potatoes, throwing them in extra virgin olive oil and paprika then throwing them in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees is OK?   ...because I had them with my food for lunch just now and they tasted AMAZING. Like... they should be forbidden good. lol 

Mmmmmm hmmmm.   Those are fine.

• 7 months later...

I don't think the point of the Whole30 is to deprive yourself from awesomeness! It is to create a new relationship with food, like learning that baked sweet potatoes (with beets in my opinion) tossed in olive oil with rosemary is an amazing alternative to the store bought kind! And as always, everything in moderation. I have found some wonderful recipes that I may not have been motivated to try before, and it has already changed my life! I'm on day 9, and I thought I was healthy before, but I always had sleep problems. Now I have no problems falling asleep and staying asleep all night. It's life-changing!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the program. My wife and I are on day 3 today. Last night, I grill the "Perfect Burger" from the Whole30 book (VERY good, btw). I also bought some sweet potatoes, peeled them, sliced them into steak fry-esque shape, and tossed them with a little olive oil and some sea salt and baked them. It looks like some of the posts on this topic say it's ok, and others say it's not. There are a couple that say it's ok, but then say that any type of french fries are out, which is confusing. I get the idea that going to mcdonalds and getting fries are evil, but I guess I'm confused how eating a whole baked sweet potato is better than eating baked sweet potatoes that are cut up.

I'm not trying to be a pain or go against the spirit of the program, just asking for an answer, if possible. :)

Hi, I'm new to the program. My wife and I are on day 3 today. Last night, I grill the "Perfect Burger" from the Whole30 book (VERY good, btw). I also bought some sweet potatoes, peeled them, sliced them into steak fry-esque shape, and tossed them with a little olive oil and some sea salt and baked them. It looks like some of the posts on this topic say it's ok, and others say it's not. There are a couple that say it's ok, but then say that any type of french fries are out, which is confusing. I get the idea that going to mcdonalds and getting fries are evil, but I guess I'm confused how eating a whole baked sweet potato is better than eating baked sweet potatoes that are cut up.

I'm not trying to be a pain or go against the spirit of the program, just asking for an answer, if possible. :)

Baked sweet potatoes are fine no matter what shape they are in.

• 10 months later...
On 2015/07/22 at 4:36 PM, ladyshanny said:

I have a serious love affair with the Japanese sweet potatoes and can only find them a few months of the year.  :(

I'm pretty sure these are the "normal" sweet potatoes we have here. I have to seriously search high and low for the yellow "jewel" sweet potatoes.

On 3/9/2016 at 11:18 AM, Aslana88 said:

I don't think the point of the Whole30 is to deprive yourself from awesomeness! It is to create a new relationship with food, like learning that baked sweet potatoes (with beets in my opinion) tossed in olive oil with rosemary is an amazing alternative to the store bought kind! And as always, everything in moderation. I have found some wonderful recipes that I may not have been motivated to try before, and it has already changed my life! I'm on day 9, and I thought I was healthy before, but I always had sleep problems. Now I have no problems falling asleep and staying asleep all night. It's life-changing!

Actually, I think that is kind of the point. It's to make food just plain old food, not a source of so much emotion.

I google Whole 30 sometimes for whatever day I'm on and people's blogs have desserts and snack foods and stuff all made of compliant ingredients that they are bragging about - and they are missing the point entirely.

Archived