Noticing More Acne

I'm on day 19 of my first Whole30 and I'm noticing that I'm getting more acne on my face than I've had in a while. I could understand if I was a teenager but I'm 30.

All my other results have been great, but I'm not enjoying the acne? Is this typical? I thought I had seen that whole30 will help clean up your skin?

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor, so I am just throwing this out there. I am wondering if since our hormones are affected by the food we eat and hormones can influence acne breakouts, that if your hormones are still in flux and settling, if that is causing some of the breakouts. I am on day 8 and have been noticing a bit more of a breakout for the last couple days as well. I have decreased my nut consumption since starting W30 and don't eat dried fruit at all. I have added some coconut milk to my food, but hardly any in the grand scheme of things. Mine could also be due to the fact that my period is scheduled to show up in less than a week... but it seems a bit different this time. Like I said, not a doctor or nutritionist, just throwing a hypothesis out there based on my own experiences with dairy (which caused HORRID acne for me) and what I have been reading in ISWF. :)

Stay positive - I am with you on the acne sucks train. Keep me posted on if you figure anything out.

• Administrators

I am not a nutritionist nor a doctor, so I am just throwing this out there. I am wondering if since our hormones are affected by the food we eat and hormones can influence acne breakouts, that if your hormones are still in flux and settling, if that is causing some of the breakouts. I am on day 8 and have been noticing a bit more of a breakout for the last couple days as well. I have decreased my nut consumption since starting W30 and don't eat dried fruit at all. I have added some coconut milk to my food, but hardly any in the grand scheme of things. Mine could also be due to the fact that my period is scheduled to show up in less than a week... but it seems a bit different this time. Like I said, not a doctor or nutritionist, just throwing a hypothesis out there based on my own experiences with dairy (which caused HORRID acne for me) and what I have been reading in ISWF. :)

Ding ding ding!!!!!!  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am on day 9 of my first Whole30 and I came to the forum looking for posts about acne.  I'm wondering if yours cleared up by the end?  I am 28 and have never struggled with acne ever.  I would get maybe one pimple here or there, usually right at the same point in my monthly cycle.  Since starting the Whole30, I am breaking out all over my face!  I have tiny white bumps all over my cheeks and forehead.  It started around day 4, started to clear up a bit, and then came back in full force today (Day 9).  I am used to eating almonds and almond butter, and I haven't increased my consumption since I began.  Today, I had a few walnuts in my breakfast, but I haven't eaten any other nuts.  I also cannot think of any other new foods I've introduced in the last week (besides ghee).  Really, all I did was cut out the restricted items (sugar, dairy, etc.)

Has anyone else struggled with this?  And did it disappear on its own?

I am on day 9 of my first Whole30 and I came to the forum looking for posts about acne.  I'm wondering if yours cleared up by the end?  I am 28 and have never struggled with acne ever.  I would get maybe one pimple here or there, usually right at the same point in my monthly cycle.  Since starting the Whole30, I am breaking out all over my face!  I have tiny white bumps all over my cheeks and forehead.  It started around day 4, started to clear up a bit, and then came back in full force today (Day 9).  I am used to eating almonds and almond butter, and I haven't increased my consumption since I began.  Today, I had a few walnuts in my breakfast, but I haven't eaten any other nuts.  I also cannot think of any other new foods I've introduced in the last week (besides ghee).  Really, all I did was cut out the restricted items (sugar, dairy, etc.)

Has anyone else struggled with this?  And did it disappear on its own?

You might try dropping the nuts completely and see if that helps.

Are you drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily?

Also, are you having coconut milk? Some folks have had issues with coconut milk in BPA lined cans.

Thanks for replying GHChris.  I can definitely try cutting out nuts altogether.  Prior to the Whole30, I know peanuts irritated my skin and I avoided them.  Since I haven't been measuring my water intake, I think that's a good place to start.  I will try to be more conscious of it and increase the amount.  Thank you for the tips.

Hey cbclear -

I don't know exactly when it happened, but my skin has been clearing up amazingly this second half of the W30. Sometimes it's just the hormones just trying to figure out everything that can cause breakouts. Give it some time (which I know is horribly annoying), stick to the program and exfoliate. 

I am on day 11 and I have horribly painful acne at the moment!! I usually see breakouts related to my cycle--along with everything else relating to a bad cycle :( But this is out of that date range. And they are the pimples that are really red/swollen and painful (and impossible to cover up)! It seems like the above poster said--hormones are being affected and I hope it will clear up by the second half of Whole30. I wonder the validity of the idea that toxins are leaving my body through my skin?

Acne can be a symptom of your hormones adjusting - but it also can be a symptom of others things too.

Foods that seem to affect skin:  Nuts, (and nut butters as mentioned above) tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, potatoes, and eggs.  Also crappy oils will affect your skin as well.(poor quality oils are not really on plan - but I thought I would throw that out there just as an FYI).  I also have issues with pork giving me some pretty big and powerful pimples - so I have to watch my consumption of pork and make sure that all pork consumed has been well cooked.

So if you are eating ANY of the above in large vast quantities - it might be time to scale back and see what happens.

Hey everyone, I posted last week about my face breaking out all over. I am happy to report that today is day 16 and it has completely cleared up! I didn't make any major changes aside from trying to increase my water intake. While I'm sure it's not exactly the same for everyone, hang in there! I hope you'll also have the same results at some point!

I had horrible acne problems before the Whole 30. Giant painful pimples that never healed. I gave up milk products for two weeks before I started and didn't have any improvements until I stopped eating red peppers a few days ago. They've been my stand-by snack for the past few months and a regular part of my diet for the last couple years. The old pimples are still healing, but I haven't had a new one since. Go figure.

• 3 years later...

I am over 50 and I am on day 15 and my skin is breaking out terribly.  Someone above mentioned certain foods that may cause this.  I have 2 eggs with peppers, onions, jalapenos, spinach and a slice of Whole30 approved bacon each morning and it is delicious.

Are you saying this is why my skin is so bad?  I really hate this.  I am a very confident person and this is making me want to stay in the house and hide.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Not so happy said:

I am over 50 and I am on day 15 and my skin is breaking out terribly.  Someone above mentioned certain foods that may cause this.  I have 2 eggs with peppers, onions, jalapenos, spinach and a slice of Whole30 approved bacon each morning and it is delicious.

Are you saying this is why my skin is so bad?  I really hate this.  I am a very confident person and this is making me want to stay in the house and hide.

It's hard to say if this is what's causing your breakouts. Did you have eggs daily before whole30? If you did, it's unlikely to be the eggs, but if you rarely ate them before, it's possible. 

Some people find that coconut products cause breakouts. We've even had people who narrowed it down to certain brands of coconut milk that caused it, but when they switched to other brands they had no problem.

Basically, look at what you're eating now that you never ate before, or that you're eating a lot more of than you did before, and that could be what's causing it.

-----------------------------------

I didn't eat them daily but often.  I have not had any coconut products.  I eat peppers, tomatoes and onion all the time even before I started this.  I just wish I had some sort of answer.  It is very frustrating.

Archived