Apple cider or apple cider vinegar?

Several recipes call for Apple cider and I am trying to figure out if it is really Apple cider or Apple cider vinegar. One recipe calls for Apple cider in the ingredient list but mentions Apple cider vinegar in another area of the recipe. Thanks!

• Moderators

Hi! I'm sorry no one answered your previous question. In it, you asked specifically about the Melissa's Chicken Hash and the Halibut with Citrus glaze. For the halibut, plain apple cider makes the most sense to me. I think reducing a vinegar would make it a little strong. I could be wrong here, but that's what I would do.

For the chicken hash, I'm not sure. I'm going to post a question in the moderators' section and see if we can't get an official answer. I could see it being either -- apple cider would yield a sweeter dish, but I think the ACV might be a nice contrast, since there are both sweet potato and apple already in it. If you're feeling adventurous, pick one and try it, and let us know what happens. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Hi guys - I saw this too and really want to make it  - but I cannot find anywhere that talks about compliant apple cider :D

Apple cider or apple juice is compliant as long as it doesn't contain any off plan ingredients. (In the US, these two things should be mostly interchangeable -- if you don't find anything labeled apple cider, use a good quality, compliant apple juice instead. In other parts of the world, cider implies hard cider with alcohol which would not be compliant.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived