Rhubarb?

Derval

I was given some rhubarb by the in-laws today, but I can not think of anyway to use it that does not require a truck-load of sugar?

I had some luck pre whole 30 making a "crumble" with frozen rhubarb, strawberries and a topping of almond meal, coconut & nuts. No sugar. But that would be non W30, and I used to have it with Greek Yogurt!

Even non W30 recipes, but still paleo, would be appreciated, as I finish my 30 tomorrow.

you could tweak this version (from a post last week on MDA) to make it w30 (omit the honey, etc.): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sweet-tart-rhubarb-and-berry-dessert-sauce/#axzz1tMKgAmlz

alternately, i just chop it up and saute it with my veggies (though it has powerful laxative action, so probably go easy or you'll be going really easy). it has a somewhat different taste, which really comes out when you eat it plain like that. but i really like it.

I was given some rhubarb by the in-laws today, but I can not think of anyway to use it that does not require a truck-load of sugar?

I had some luck pre whole 30 making a "crumble" with frozen rhubarb, strawberries and a topping of almond meal, coconut & nuts. No sugar. But that would be non W30, and I used to have it with Greek Yogurt!

Even non W30 recipes, but still paleo, would be appreciated, as I finish my 30 tomorrow.

Just curious what I am missing here - - the frozen rhubarb, strawberries, topping of almond meal, coconut and nuts....why is this non W30? Did I miss the boat?

Hi summer, I deem it as non w30 as it's paleofying a trad. desert item. For example well feds fruit crisp recipe is the only non w30 in her book.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself? Anyway I think it would be pretty dry without some dairy.

Thanks for all suggestions.

• 4 years later...

Before the Whole30, my husband had a very lightly sweetened grain free, sugar free, dairy free fruit crumble (crisp in some countries) for breakfast with cashew cream.  Paleo Crumble for short.

Cashew cream is wonderful. Very easy to make if you have a high speed blender. But if you don't, you can get a very nearly smooth texture by soaking cashews for a few hours (much longer in a warm air temp and they can start to go slimy). This is because the cashew is very rarely truly raw. Long story, you can research it. Anyways, you will need a food processor, blender, or Nutribullet etc. We use 1 cup cashews, water barely to cover and that's it. Sometimes I might add a tiny pinch of salt. Blend until creamy. Some people put a tiny drop or two of lemon juice in once blended, as they say this causes the cream to thicken. I find a little thickening happens naturally anyway in the fridge. This lasts my husband five mornings. He likes it more like a pourable cream. 

We also use this as the basis for our mayonnaise, as we don't like homemade mayo. No matter how we make it, the aftertaste is incredibly bitter. No matter which oil we deem healthy, or how fresh. And I refuse to use any oils I consider to be in the "no no" basket.  So it's cashew mayo or french dressing or just a squeeze of lemon juice with a handful of dry fried sunflower and pumpkin seeds on salad for us.

Day 9 or 10 for us.

Archived