Gonna fight to stay whole.

J9er

Pretty good day today. I've had some minor stressors since I've been back in my hometown. It's petty small stuff, but upsetting none the less. I was just sitting here realizing that I didn't care to eating anything or drink anything off plan despite feeling stressed. It is pouring rain and storming, and I thought a coffee might be good, but just felt meh about it. I started drinking black coffee last week and have NO desire for a latte, and buying black coffee just seemed lame lol.

I went to my favorite cafe to poke around (they have a little organic grocery as well) after a big hike. I used to eat there a few times a week when I lived here. I was REALLY hungry, but there was nothing on the menu (except borscht), that I felt like eating. Everything had one or more food groups for reintroduction and just wasn't feeling like the borscht, although I normally love it. I had to wait for my sister in town so by the time we got to her house it was 3 and I was starving! But am glad now for waiting.

I've been pretty bad about post workout snacks....its been hard to get that in while away from home, trying not to takeover the kitchen at my parents house....I should keep a can of tuna in the car....but I really don't like dry tuna. I've been hiking every day up BIG mountains - it's been great. As much as I'm getting used to the east coast, I'm still distraught over losing my west coast mountains. They are my medicine. It's been so nice to be in them again.

What else...I stepped on the scale today. Ugh. Why? I don't know. I don't have a scale anymore but my parents do. I am the same weight as when I started the whole30 but really my clothes feel pretty good. Maybe a touch looser. I'm doing less cardio and lifting heavy still so I can't really complain. Don't know why I even bothered!!?! Just reminds me of my screwed up relationship with the number on the scale...and the scale itself. i wonder if there will come a day when I won't be tempted to hop on it, or if I ever wouldn't be dissapointed with the number I saw.

I'm about 15 pounds up from the weight I would love to get to. It's still 10 pounds above my lowest weight, but it's a happy medium....I would love to get there some day, but I know my body needs to be nourished and treated right, and it will probably just take some time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm back!

After a looonnngggg trip away from home and a 2 week flu/cold, I'm finally almost back to my old self.

The trip went really well. I was able to stick to whole30 ish eating even after my whole30 ended with a couple of planned off roads. Lots of eating out, but I did manage pretty well.

My illness was another matter. I was so sick, appetite was gone for quite a few days. I ate pretty randomly and ate some funky things, things I haven't eaten in ages. I haven't been sick for a very long time (years) but after that bout, I hope to have frozen meals in the future for the future sick Janine, because I could not cook, but I could have heated up meals. The frozen stash had just been drained by my husband as I was away on holidays otherwise I probably would have been fine. I really felt out of control during that time. It was so interesting. I had little to no appetite, but when I would go without food for too long my body would take over and reach for whatever it could get quickly....therefore starting the cycle of blood sugar spikes and crashes. It happened with one meal that included white rice, then game over. Shows me my body cannot handle sugar or empty/processed carbs at all especially when my will power is low.

Anywyas, I'm currently getting back to my old self, and going through a nasty sugar withdrawl, but getting there slowly but surely.

We are hosting an academy awards party on Sunday and I've planned a clean menu. My girlfriend is bringing one off limits (for me) appy, and dessert - which I am will not partake as I would like a glass of wine (more on wine later), but I'll be fine with the rest of the menu.

No exercise in almost 2 weeks, and I think I'll give my self the rest of the weekend and start again on Monday. I may go for a hike this weekend as it supposed to be gorgeous weather, but back to lifting on Monday. Lots of thoughts to revisit about my last whole30 and lots to ponder about what I want my eating and exercise to look like now.

"...my cousin is a goat cheese farmer..."

Okay, did you manage to have any goat cheese?  Such wonderful stuff!  I can't really have it anymore, but think of it fondly -- and do have somehard goat cheddar as an occasional treat.

ThyPeace, lactose intolerant.

• 4 months later...

Ahhhhh. So life is just plain interesting.

I've been busy, have had on and off periods with eating/exercise.

All of the same realizations, I could go on forever about.

Have re-realized that gluten is NOT my friend, in the worst way. Well, I never forgot, I just ignored the fact. The depression the mental fog, the extreme eczema flares, the deep rut I get in is not worth it!! It's not. And how do I find myself back there repeatedly? I know one of these days I will forever climb out of that hole, I'm hoping it is now.

Have been back on track this last month, and feel great. Motivation is there, self loathing isn't. And it hasn't been hard.

I can't go back there again, it was awful. I couldn't wash my own hair due to the fire in my hands from eczema. ALL self induced.

Literally thought I needed to start taking meds for bouts of depression....but guess what, when I break up with gluten, there goes the depression. when I break up with the gluten, I break up with any craving for any other problem food (sugar, dairy, soy etc). When gluten is out of my life, the living is easy. It's not sugar that causes my dragon to rage, it's gluten.

So, here I am, reminding myself of that once again. Feeling amazing, not whole30ing, but pretty dang close.

I have been so enjoying all of the news articles about gut health, fat/saturated fat, and sugar. It seems like the world is finally catching on, and it's amazing! It's a slow roll right now, but I feel like it will gain momentum quickly now. My family keeps coming to me with "did you know....fat isn't bad....but sugar is the devil?"..... Ummmm yes, yes I did know that. And I have told them that about a million times.

My husband and I are considering trying for a baby starting in the new year. If that isn't motivation to keep on this train, I don't know what is. I want my mind, body and spirit to be at its best before embarking on that adventure. So, self.....remember the past struggles and remember how you felt compared to how you feel now!!!

I'm struggling pretty hard with motivation these days. Yes, canning gluten (and the others) has helped tremendously, but I'm still struggling. I am able to push through it a bit more, force myself to get up and moving. Ive been working out almost every day, which is huge.

I'm struggling with getting the motivation to find a job. It's not that I don't want to work. I'm afraid. I feel the task of finding a job is so daunting, I feel like I'm not good enough, like I won't be hired, and like I'll bomb the interviews and look like a moron. I know I need to just out one foot in front of the other, just do it, but pulling the trigger is HARD.

Goals for the next week:

Continue eating as I have been :)

Ask husband to help me find job postings - his support is super helpful

Study for upcoming course I need to take for job qualification

Hike on Saturday morning - early

Well no hike today.

It was stormy and gross, and I will admit I'm a bit fair weather now. Living in the Pacific NW I went out in any weather. Rain, shine, snow, sleet, you name it. If I didn't go out in any type of weather, I would never go out. East coast on the other hand....I've become so used to such few rainy days, that when there is one, I know I can go out tomorrow.....

I did exercise at home, and was glad I did.

Eating has been good. Whole30ish for the most part. We ate dinner at a friends the other night. She was so thoughtful and made mini pizzas with spiralized sweet potato as the "crust". But of course it was "pizza" so it had cheese on top. And some funky pepperoni. Lol. But I went for it. I'm fine. And it was way better than having to say no to real pizza or worse jamming real pizza into my face.

sweet cravings have been tough. They just always seem to be lingering there. Havent been indulging in fruit or anything that should trigger them....but all I can think about is icecream and chocolate. Ugh.

We are going to stay with our friends' kids tomorrow night. I have all my food packed and ready to go. I have a TON of food. Our friends promised the kids frozen pizza - yuck - but I'm hoping they'll just eat what I'm bringing, it's pretty kid friendly, but I'm sure they'll have pizza on the brain.

I've also been working on food prep for our trip to upstate NY next weekend for a wedding.

We got a bit of good news in that my husband has to do a bit of work while we are gone, but that means expenses are partially paid so I have a bit of a budget for picking stuff up from whole foods if I need too. Otherwise, I have meatballs, salmon cakes, and chicken legs on the menu, along with a big salad, lots of raw veggies, pickles, olives, pesto, hb eggs, and a jar of mayo. I've also been saving a bag of Sweets n beets.....gotta have some chips for the drive!

Not entirely sure what I'll do at the reception....most likely will eat before, and not count on there being much for me there. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been doing pretty well....can't really complain at all.

Workouts are on point. Eating is 80%? Maybe a bit better.

Our weekend away the weekend before last went better than I could imagine. Packed all of our food. Had a TON of good stuff along with us. We did bring some Kettle Chips and milk chocolate, and indulged a little. The food at the wedding was incredible. I had one small puff pastry that was being passed around....it was funny, both my husband and I popped one in our mouth without really even thinking, both of us looked at each other and we both had a "it wasn't worth it" look on our face lol. It wasn't. But the table of meats and olives and plates of scallops wrapped in bacon, and meat skewers etc were amazing.

The meals themselves were amazing, gluten free, mine was dairy free except for butter most likely. My husband's mashed potatoes for sure were butter and cream loaded. We both had a few drinks, and had a ton of fun dancing.

We went to Niagra falls the next day, a first for both of us. Had just the Best day. We are in such a good place mentally. We have clear heads, and just feel so happy. It's amazing how bogged down by my food intolerances I was. I never want to go back there. We had a charcuterie at a brewery with meat and pickled veggies (no bread) and shared an 8oz flight of beer. Perfect. We ate at 5 guys on the way home -- I did have a big handful of fries....they were good.....but I could have lived without them.

This weekend we spent Saturday in the city. Another amazing -- but freaking hot -- day. Took a backpack full of food. We have clean options for eating in the city, but we wanted to use them as a last resort. Plus they are all kind of downtown-ish, and we weren't really close.

We decided to eat out on Saturday night, other than last weekend's eating out, we haven't done it in probably 3 or 4 months.

We went to this funky little Italian we both love near our house. My husband splurged and had a gluten free pasta carbonara. I did have a few bites....it was good, but not worth the rock in my belly it would have caused. I had an amazing meal. A GIANT veal chop, with a plate full of broccoli rabe. We shared a huge jersey tomatos salad with house made mozzarella to start.

It was all amazing, but we won't be doing that again for awhile. We are on a hardcore money saving mission, so that was an off road for us spending wise. But all so worth it.

Where I want to improve:

Dairy. I don't think it is doing me any favors. I've been having heavy cream in my coffee, little bits of cheese (not a ton, but still), and bites of yogurt. I want to give up the cream in my coffee. I don't mind it black and I just need to bite the bullet and do it. Cheese, I can give up...I have so little now, again, I just have to say no. Yogurt I'm a bit hesitant about. I make my own with grass fed milk. I don't eat any other fermented foods, and I think I need the probiotics.....although thinking about it, I probably don't eat enough for me to get a beneficial amount of bacteria anyways....plus i should probably just do my own fermented veggies and look into probiotic supplements for myself. I have also had icecream a couple times....I want to make our own if I'm going to indulge in that. I would like to control the sugar content for sure as well as use pastured cream. Would probably control how often we have it. I do use butter here and there. I probably use about a pound a month, I think I'm ok with that for now too, but I'll continue to evaluate.

This week am focused on job hunting and planning for a mini camping trip next weekend. Will be doing an overnight back packing trip, I'll be dehydrating our meals and sourcing other good options.

Was up early today. I started a new work out this week and I am in agony lol. I haven't felt this sore in years probably. It's a good thing....but unfortunately I didn't sleep well because every time I turned over, I would wake up because it hurt so much.

I Took advantage of being up early and have started food prep for this weekend. I spend a ton of time on the kitchen and I'm tired of it. When my husband is home in the weekend I just want to be able to grab and go. We've also been spending tons of time away from home on the weekend, and having everything prepped to take with us would be a big help.

I'm debating doing a whole-something, whole15? 20? 30? There's nothing really stopping me right now. I Have been pretty clean the last month and it would be an easy transition. I cut out the bites of yogurt I was having and haven't had any cheese for the past few days. I did run out of chicken that I use for PWO and had no tuna either so I have been having a scoop of whey protein PWO. My tummy has been off and I'm not really sure if it's the whey(or bits of dairy I was eating before) ,or the crap ton of cruciferous veggies I've been eating. My bowel movements have been loose every morning too.

Normally I always thought dairy made me constipated, so I'm just not sure what is going on.

Had some technical issues and haven't been able to post.

Had a nice weekend. Got up early on Saturday (5:30) to beat he storm. We did a really nice hike in the gorgeous sunshine, and made it home just in time for the sky's to open up. It poured the rest of the day.

We managed to get a ton of things done we have been putting off. Lots of book keeping, booking bits and pieces of two trips we are planning, budget and finance stuff.

I had no dairy this weekend, my stomach has been fine. Even had a whole bunch of raw cabbage, but seemed to be fine with it. So dairy is most likely the culprit. I bought cabbage today at the market and I'm going to try my hand at kraut. Hoping my basement is cool enough for it. I think I'll stay dairy free for a couple of weeks, but then I would like to try different types just to see what exactly I react to.

I am pleased about how well over all I have been feeling though. Having gluten be completely gone is so freeing. It's amazing the fog it caused, the depression and complete lack of motivation.

I'm back and forth about doing a strict whole30. I'm in a pretty good place right now. I've stopped the dairy. I'm eating pretty much to template. I wouldn't reintro anything except dairy most likely. It seems maybe I should continue on, and possibly try out dairy in a few weeks. I'll continue to think on it.

Goals for this week:

Eat enough fat

Continue job search - it is hard work

Do a bunch of food prep -- I'm tired of cooking 3 meals a day. I needs some prepped protein at least.

Stay dairy free

Get out for one mid week hike on my own

Having not too bad of a week.

Struggling with my motivation still. I have energy, I don't think that's the problem. Im just not overly motivated to do the things I need to do. My house is in need of a good clean, lawn needs mowing and I need to study for a weekend course I plan on taking. Ugh. Need to work on this.

I did work on food prep yesterday. I made Mel Joulwan's eggplant stratta that we'll have itFriday night. I've also been making extra protein Each time Ive cooked for the past couple of days, so I have some grab and go protein either for my husband's lunch or my breakfast or lunch.

Have also been extra conscious about getting enough fat. Seems to be going well. Made some fat bombs with coconut, coconut oil and a bit of almond flour. 1/2 of them plain, 1/2 with cacao added. They're good, and I've had a couple as an alternate fat source, but I prefer my mayo or olives to be honest. My husband loves them. He doesn't like mayo (even homemade!!) or olives, so I'm happy for him to have them as I don't think he gets enough fat.

Yesterday I bought some macadamia nuts and a bar of 90% dark chocolate. I'm not really sure why I bought them. I felt like a "treat". It wasn't even a craving. I had a small handful of nuts and a square of chocolate in the afternoon when I wasn't even hungry. I honestly didn't really enjoy it, and felt dumb for eating something when I wasn't hungry. It was weird.

I have a dress I want to fit in in less than 6 weeks. I've been stuck at the size I am for awhile now and I really hope I can do it. My body composition has changed in the last couple of months, slowly. I don't want to change what/how much I'm eating because I'm feeling so good, so we'll just see how it goes. My weight hasn't really budged but I'm lifting weights 4 days a week , so I don't think I can really go by that. I eat a fist of starchy carbs every day, and don't think I should go less than that, and I think I'm in the right place with fat as I'm not feeling the urge to snack now. Protein is needed because of lifting, I've been having 1.5 palms on average, and I feel that's fine too. So, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit and I'll just have to buy a new one.

Tomorrow is a rest day from my workouts so I'll try to get out for a hike. There's a great beach on the way home I may have to stop at too, it's isually pretty deserted during the week, it calling my name :)

Having a laid back weekend. Just puttered around the house and yard. Did some much needed deep cleaning in the kitchen. Ugh. So much grease. I'm not really sure it it was from the people who were here before us or not. I'm pretty good about wiping down cupboards, but this was high up. I fry on the stove top a lot, I guess it could be from us. It was gross anyways. Need to tackle the oven next. 

Spent time with our good friends last night. It was so good to connect. They've been away for a couple weeks. Every time we've had dinner together I've cooked them a paleo meal. They love it. My girlfriend is pregnant and she has cut out most desserts and most added sugar, she's been pretty interested in hearing more about whole30/paleo. I'm trying to get her on board to at least change her kids diets. They are so picky and and eat terribly. They eat way too much added sugar for their age (any age really) and basically live on bread and crackers. Her youngest has sensitive skin and eczema, I'm sure stemming from the diet. Anyways....

It was her husband's birthday last night and there was cheesecake. Not home made. I had 4 tiny bites, and also indulged with a hard cider. While I'm not really upset about eating the cheesecake, it just really wasn't that great. I'm glad I didn't eat more. No ill effects noted so far. The cider was worth it though, I've been having about one per week and I'm happy with that.

Eating was a little weird today. Didn't eat breakfast until 9:30. I made my husband some grain free macedamia/banana pancakes. He loved them. He's a pancake fiend and hasn't had them in probably a year. He was so happy. They aren't really my thing but I did eat a couple (they were small), along with a small omelet....not enough veg. Wasn't hungry at all at 2, so I worked out, had some chicken breast for PWO and was kind of hungry at 4. I'll eat dinner by 8 I guess, I don't want to miss a meal because I know it will make me feel to sluggish tomorrow. 

We made a small batch of venison sausage today. It turned out super well, nicely seasoned. Added a  little too much beef fat, but we'll know for the next batch. Also hoping to add some organ meat to the next batch.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get out hiking /I didn't get out during the week. It was such nice weather. It just involves us driving an hour or more to get any sort of elevation gain, but I'll try this week. I really need to get more steps in the day too -- meaning, must walk outside every day!!! 

Goals: go for a walk every morning or evening, batch cook, hike!, job hunt, spend one afternoon at the beach, work on cleaning windows. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Post if you end up making sausage with organ meat... Do you have a sausage maker (grinder?  I don't even know what they are called!)?

I hear you on the hiking - we have the same problem - 1 hr to decent hikes with some elevation gain (maybe 1500 ft) and 2 hrs to the nice mountains.  4 hrs in one day is a lot.  So we bail a lot - like today - just not in the mood to do the drive.  

In terms of the recomp - I recently started seeing a body building trainer (I literally signed the contract the day before finding out I was pregnant!).  I decided to stick with it since it seemed safer than CrossFit.  And oddly enough... despite having gained 12 lbs so far I can actually see changes in my arms, shoulders, back from working with him 2-3 days a week.  After working with this guy I've figured out not all lifting accomplishes the same thing.  While doing CrossFit I could get 100 lbs overhead.  Now I use 20 lb dumbbells :)  But this guy knows what he is doing - targeting very specific muscles in certain ways.  I know personal trainers can be $$ but it might be worth checking out a body building specific program if you haven't already.  Maybe you can tweak the lifting you are doing to better help you meet your goals.  

1 hour ago, littleg said:

Post if you end up making sausage with organ meat... Do you have a sausage maker (grinder?  I don't even know what they are called!)?

I hear you on the hiking - we have the same problem - 1 hr to decent hikes with some elevation gain (maybe 1500 ft) and 2 hrs to the nice mountains.  4 hrs in one day is a lot.  So we bail a lot - like today - just not in the mood to do the drive.  

In terms of the recomp - I recently started seeing a body building trainer (I literally signed the contract the day before finding out I was pregnant!).  I decided to stick with it since it seemed safer than CrossFit.  And oddly enough... despite having gained 12 lbs so far I can actually see changes in my arms, shoulders, back from working with him 2-3 days a week.  After working with this guy I've figured out not all lifting accomplishes the same thing.  While doing CrossFit I could get 100 lbs overhead.  Now I use 20 lb dumbbells :)  But this guy knows what he is doing - targeting very specific muscles in certain ways.  I know personal trainers can be $$ but it might be worth checking out a body building specific program if you haven't already.  Maybe you can tweak the lifting you are doing to better help you meet your goals.  

Yes we do have a grinder. My parents got us a pretty decent one for a gift and we LOVE IT. It has a sausage stuffing attachment which works just fine for us, it took quite awhile to get in the groove today but I think it will get easier. Will be plugging away at it over the next little while and will definitely let you know how the organ meat goes. 

Ha - you don't live in New Jersey do you? It is so tough! I moved here from British Columbia, last year, basically a hiking Mecca, I had mountains out my back door, river trails, you name it. It's been a tough adjustment. Mountains were my medicine. I have a road bike I could also hop on, to get some fresh air, but the drivers here are crazy! It's nerve wracking. 

Yes, you are so right about the trainer. It has definitely crossed my mind. I worked with one about 5 years ago, it was the fittest I've ever been! I'm thinking I would like to start working with a functional medicine doc first, just to make sure all of my hormones are in check, and there's not something I'm missing health wise - I was pretty messed up from shift work and chronic dieting and over exercising  a couple of years ago, and although I feel much better, I want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.  

Was it hard to find your trainer? Is he supportive of your nutrition? 

Have to go to work... I'll write more later but I just have say - British Colombia to Jersey????  There isn't an emoticon for my expression right now :) I hope it was for a really good reason!  And no, I'm one state up :) I didn't realize there was any hiking near Jersey.  Are you going to the Catskills?

Haha. Yes. My husband's job moves us around. So here we are for now. Hoping to move back west in the next couple of years. BUT, I'm glad to see this part of the country and feel lucky we get some pretty cool experiences. 

We have been hiking far north NJ. Lots of trails, not a ton of elevation, but some petty good milage with the typical relentless ups and downs (such rocky trails). Lots of AT hiking if we want...not really my thing though. There are 2 nice hikes at the Del Water Gap that we enjoy, both a decent climb. About an hours drive, so did both peaks last time to make the drive worth it. 

We haven't been up to the Catskills yet. Plans keep getting derailed by K's work or heat, or storms, or us flaking out. We're about 2.5hrs away, so still possible for day hikes if we leave early enough in the morning. We are heading to BC in September, so I need my hiking legs for then. 

I've hiked a bunch of the AT in Jersey.  Not my favorite.  Catskills are ok, I'm not sure I'd drive 2.5 hrs for them.  But they are mountains - well for the East.  If you do want to see some nice North East hiking - New Hampshire - the Whites are amazing.  The ADKs have some really nice mountains - but the trails are very rugged and except for a select few most hikes are 10+ miles because the approaches are so long.  But the Whites... none of that :) 

I wish my job would take me out to BC!  I'm super scared (still) about losing this pregnancy... I have my contingency plan for if I do.  Quit my job.  Take 1 month of and go to Alaska and then find a 13 week traveling nurse job that pays 2-3x what I make now somewhere cool.  Like British Columbia!  

I hope that you've made it to NYC.  That is definitely an experience.  Growing up in that area I probably don't appreciate it as much as someone seeing it for the first time - but you can see the world for a Subway token.  

To answer your questions - no my trainer was training a guy next to me at the gym one day.  He seemed very attentive and with it.  I asked him if he was taking new clients.  He is fine with my nutrition.  He doesn't push anything.  He forgets all the time that I'm (a) preggo (b) paleo so he offers me supplements all the time that he likes and I just say "no, I eat real food".  And he laughs and on we go with our session :) 

Yes, I have been to the ADKs. Did a couple of awesome hikes there, steep and rugged. Drove through the white mountains last summer but didn't stop. I am begging my husband to take a day off so we can go for a long weekend. 

Well, your contingency plan is a good one. As much as I hope it never has to come to fruition -- I get emails ALL THE TIME from a travel nursing company I briefly (for one day) worked for in BC, you could have as much work as you wanted with ++ $$$ and do so much hiking on your days off. It must be so hard for you to feel connected to the baby, and your pregnancy, being so afraid to lose it. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine. 

Have been to the city a fair bit. It's about an hour from my house to Time Square, we have been getting lots of company from Canada, so take them to do the touristy stuff, but have also had some good days just exploring and wandering around. I do want to try to see as much of the area as I can while we're here. It's a great opportunity. 

If you end up convincing him to take some time to go to the Whites, look into the Pemi Loop.  Its 30ish miles, 12 4000 footers, 10000ish vertical.  People do it as a day hike :)  My husband and I did it as a backpack and ended up with the most picture perfect weather you could imagine for the three day hike.  It was amazing.   The famous Bondcliff viewpoint is just one of the many you'll see.  We watched the sunset on the summit of Mt Jackson one night b/c the campsite is only 1/2 mile or so from the summit.  There are huts and campsites along the route which make it possible to do a fully backpack to a daypack kind of trip.  

If you have winter gear snowshoeing up there is great too.  We had the summit of Mt Washington to ourselves a few winters ago!  Having been up there in the summer with 100s (if not 1000s) of people that was awesome.  

Thank you! Oh man, that would be so great. It sounds amazing. I would love to get up there before we leave for our trip in September. Fingers crossed. 

On August 9, 2016 at 8:58 AM, littleg said:

If you end up convincing him to take some time to go to the Whites, look into the Pemi Loop.  Its 30ish miles, 12 4000 footers, 10000ish vertical.  People do it as a day hike :)  My husband and I did it as a backpack and ended up with the most picture perfect weather you could imagine for the three day hike.  It was amazing.   The famous Bondcliff viewpoint is just one of the many you'll see.  We watched the sunset on the summit of Mt Jackson one night b/c the campsite is only 1/2 mile or so from the summit.  There are huts and campsites along the route which make it possible to do a fully backpack to a daypack kind of trip.  

If you have winter gear snowshoeing up there is great too.  We had the summit of Mt Washington to ourselves a few winters ago!  Having been up there in the summer with 100s (if not 1000s) of people that was awesome.  

The olympics are killing me. I've been staying up WAY too late. 

Still feeling well. My stomach seems to have sorted itself out, no nausea, no diarrhea. I've laid off the raw veggies, I was eating a ton of coleslaw -- made up a new recipe with lemon and dill and grated Apple, it was SO good. I was also eating tons of broccoli, cauli, and cabbage (cooked). I've been trying to include a few more low FODMAP veggies, aiming for the others only once a day at most and it seems to be helping. Plus green beans and zucchini are SO cheap here right now, I need to take advantGe! 

I had no dairy for over a week, but made yogurt for my husband yesterday and snuck a  taste. I don't miss it at all when its not in the house, but when it's in my fridge staring me down, I can't resist. I don't go crazy with it either, but I still wonder how those few bites here and there are affecting me. I ended up with a pretty bad pimple this week - is it hormonal? Or dairy related. I haven't had a break out of any kind in ages. 

My eczema is completely cleared! I've been whole30ish for 2 full months now (besides said bites of dairy and a couple of off road treats - icecream), and almost 100% gluten free (one bite of puff pastry at wedding, possible hidden gluten while eating out of the house a couple of times, can't trust any cooking except my own). The skin on my hands is still dry and thin, but have had no breakouts and it is getting better every day. It's hard to say if it's gluten specifically that causes the eczema or if it was leaky gut.

But it doesn't really matter I guess. I'm in a pretty good groove and feel like I've found my food freedom (looking forward to reading that book). Although I'm still considering a whole30 at some point to get completely off of and then thoroughly reintro dairy, it probably won't be until October sometime to be realistic. 

Interesting. Just heard an interview on the CBC with a guy that wrote a Book called Fake Food/Real Food. I really want to read it. Basically he talks a lot about the food industry and the tricks that get played in us - the consumers. It's gross really. I already knew some of them, like wood pulp in grated Parmesan cheese - doesn't really bother me because I don't eat it. And I know to buy the real, like really real Parmesan cheese, from Parma if I do eat it. But a big shocker for me was sushi. :( he was saying he can't even eat sushi any more unless it's at a really high end place because of all the research he's done. There's a fish that's commonly swapped in for red snapper, it has been banned for consumption in Japan because the mercury levels are so high, but it can still be served in America (and in Canada I think). So if you order red snapper in a sushi restaurant beware. Another fish commonly gets swapped in for tuna!! Apparently it can have a really bad laxative effect, so if you get sick after sushi, that may be why. Ugh. 

I was so looking forward to sushi on the west coast, when we go back,I don't even bother here. 

I'll definitely be reading his book, although part of me is a little afraid to. 

I used to be a teacher and I would teach the kids about the great olive oil scandal...  My 8th graders always were blown away that "industry" would lie to us!

You might enjoy this podcast

http://robbwolf.com/2016/02/09/episode-308-mark-schatzker-hyperpalatability-of-food/

I was tempted to go buy one of his books.  That is the problem with podcasts - if I purchased I'll the books it makes me want to read I'd be broke :)

Thanks @littlegI'll give that a listen tomorrow. 

Yes. The olive oil scandal was/is so bad. He said that in the US, the FDA basically gave up trying to crack down, so we're still eating contaminated olive oil :( ???? Ugh. 

Apparently in Canada, the government continued the crack down, so olive oil there is a little safer which I did not not know. Maybe I should bring some olive oil back with me??

Part of me thinks I should just keep doing the best I can with what I have. And if I start researching too much, I'll go broke trying to invest in better food. It is SO sad, and really maddening that we are put in this position. 

More reason for me to hurry up and get a job, I'll have more money to spend on quality grub. 

Archived