Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those of you who are doing this for a second or (more-th time)...how about helping out the new folks by posting a link to one of your favorite compliant meals? Here's one of mine. We eat it with steamed and riced cauliflower. http://paleofoodiekitchen.com/2013/06/ground-chicken-curry/

I think this is a great idea, and I'm thinking of what recipe I can link so will do that later...but it also brought to mind a thread that was going strong in June that I totally missed at the time.  Here is a link to that, and maybe we can get something like this going for September?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/28170-whats-for-dinner-june-edition/

I also saw a suggestion to follow whole30recipes on Instagram and while I still forget to look at that as often as I should it does seem to have a steady flow of good ideas with pictures for those of us who are more visual.

Also, lazy person tip on cauliflower rice...sometimes Target (if you have one with a market) will have bags of cauliflower crumbles and all you need to do is add a bit of coconut oil and roast it.  Maybe the smallest ever time saver, but...there are going to be weeks when it's not what you are cooking that you find daunting it's how much time you spend cooking it.

If you find that happening to you, stop looking for recipes and take a day off to just be incredibly basic.  After some long sessions in the kitchen, a basic grilled lemon pepper pork chop and some sauteed green beans will no longer sound boring...it will sound like a VACATION, and it will reset you to tackle something more adventurous when you catch your breath again. 

No recipe meals can be quite entertaining, I remember one night coming home and tossing a burger on the grill then looking for some veggie to go with it and just pulling a bit of this and that out...leftover roasted carrots, some leftover roasted red potatoes, a few extra mushrooms from a meatloaf I had made, some onion slices...  I grilled it all mostly just to warm it up and it wasn't until I was piling it on my plate that I realized I had just made some kind of pot roast burger.  LOL!    It was so good, I will probably be doing it on purpose this go-around.

Also, lazy person tip on cauliflower rice...sometimes Target (if you have one with a market) will have bags of cauliflower crumbles and all you need to do is add a bit of coconut oil and roast it.  Maybe the smallest ever time saver, but...there are going to be weeks when it's not what you are cooking that you find daunting it's how much time you spend cooking it.

I just saw those cauliflower crumbles last time I went to Target. Fabulous idea! And broccoli slaw is also a great thing to cook with. Toss it in a cast iron skillet with some oil and cut up chicken, pork, or beef. Good and EASY!

I find myself getting sucked into the "I won't get to have this for a long time (or maybe EVER), so I better have some this week" thing. I'm trying not to give in because the more junk I eat this week, the harder that first week or two will be.

Thanks to the repeat W30ers for the recipe tips!

I have, in the past, cooked a bag of steam in bag cauliflower and then just dumped it in a bowl and riced it up with two sharp knives. If I am mashing it I tend to get that kind because it is just the right amount for two of us.  Another 'when you can be bothered' shortcut...if you want to saute some cabbage for a dish...cole slaw mix. Right in the pan. 

I'm with you. My husband is on board with this new eating plan as well.

I bought both It Starts with Food and Whole 30. I also am listening to It Starts with Food on my phone via Amazon Audibles while at work. This is helping me a lot. I'm very busy and it would have taken me a year to get through reading the books.

Menu planning and grocery shopping this week. I'm very excited to get going.

Hello All, I'm going to be tagging along in September as well...this will be my second Whole30.  I was in the same group with Vozelle in June and we had a blast! ...

Now off to brainstorm on how I'm going to kick it up a notch this go-round.  I promise to come up with something so I'm suffering just as much as those of you doing this the first time...which means this is probably going to involve either water or ::shudder:: exercise. 

@Vozelle...you too girl, no cake walks, how are we digging deeper this time?  :blink:

Hi Crimsann, good to see you here! YES, let's kick it up a notch with exercise... would love to get into a regular routine! : )

@ Spiderwife & Debbie2497 - Since you guys are starting a little earlier than the rest of us, feel free to share your adventures from the road ahead, and let us know how you're doing!

@ QuilterInVA - Butternut squash definitely varies in size, I can understand your confusion… I would probably just go for a medium sized one?

@ MrsRobinson - My fave recipes are in the Whole30 book... Chicken Meatballs, No-Fuss Salmon Cakes, Roasted Vegetables, Cauliflower Rice, Banger Sausage, etc. But I don't cook much from recipes, I have mostly adopted the "Ingredient Meal" style of eating that they talk about in the book. I just keep a lot of compliant ingredients in the fridge, plus a few pre-made things (sauces, dressings, etc.), and throw meals together on the fly. I am big on protein salad, home-made paleo wraps (you can throw anything in there!), and frittatas. I keep a lot of healthy fats stocked so I never run short… Avocados, coconut oil, coconut butter, ghee, nuts, olive oil, olives, canned salmon, etc. And I keep lots of eggs boiled and stocked in the fridge.

Wow, I feel like I won the Whole30 lottery today! My coworker, who has done a Whole30 twice before, is doing another one starting the same day we are. We don't work in the same building, but it's nice to know I won't be the only staffer doing this. Also, there is an Outpost Natural Foods just a quick drive away from work.I knew it was there, but never seriously considered going there because there are two other grocery stores in a two block area. I stopped there today for grass-fed beef, and a few other things. The beef was even on sale! So I've got a good start on protein for my freezer. Also got eggs and a couple other things. I will be going back there. Probably very often!

Hi all! I was also in the June group and having messed up the reintroduction due to holiday and birthday I'm keen to get back on the wagon. I lived on bread, cheese and wine for the last two weeks in France so I am anticipating huge carb cravings for the first week.

Looking forward to trying some of the recipes from Well Fed which I got for my birthday.

I am thinking of signing up for the daily emails, have others found them helpful?

I'm in for the 1st!  I attempted to do the whole 30 several months ago, and lasted 3 days.  I've been procrastinating my re-start...every day I'd say I'd start tomorrow.  But I'm not meeting my goals, and I realized that I'm a slave to dairy and sugar. Sooooo...here I go!

@ Spiderwife & Debbie2497 - Since you guys are starting a little earlier than the rest of us, feel free to share your adventures from the road ahead, and let us know how you're doing!quote]

Well I'm halfway through day 2... All is going well so far but I've spent a ton of time in the kitchen. I did a huge food shop on Monday and did loads of prep, chopping veg and putting it into separate plastic containers so it's easy to grab when making meals. I made a big batch of perfect sausages to make breakfast time much quicker and easier. Husband has been joining me and enjoying everything I've made so far...although he's not being 100% compliant as he's still drinking his tea with milk and orange squash

Hi all! I was also in the June group and having messed up the reintroduction due to holiday and birthday I'm keen to get back on the wagon. I lived on bread, cheese and wine for the last two weeks in France so I am anticipating huge carb cravings for the first week.

Looking forward to trying some of the recipes from Well Fed which I got for my birthday.

I am thinking of signing up for the daily emails, have others found them helpful?

Archived