Bacon: sugar curing & ingredients list

Bitton

Hi fellow Whole30ers,

I know bacon gets a lot of talk, and I've read as many posts as I can find, so my apologies if this has been discussed already...

My question relates to bacon and the fact that most of it is sugar cured. If it has been cured with sugar, would sugar be in the ingredients list?

I ask because I was telling my husband that we probably wouldn't find any compliant bacon, and then he pulled regular bacon from Costco to read the ingredients list and there was no sugar (or crazy other word for sugar listed). Could it be that easy to find compliant bacon?

P.S. I do recognise the whole host of other problems with factory farming/not fitting lifestyle etc. I'm asking more out of curiosity

• Moderators

If there's sugar in the bacon at all, even in the curing process, it should be listed. Just be absolutely sure you're not overlooking part of the ingredients list, sometimes manufacturers list the main ingredients, and then somewhere under that in smaller lettering will list other ingredients. The bacon I've looked at usually says something at the end of the ingredients list like Contains less than 2% of -- and that's where I've found sugar in some form listed. Even though in that case it's a small amount, it's still not whole30 compliant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Where is this compliant bacon that everyone is talking about? Every time I pick up a package (even grassfed) bacon it lists cane sugar or some kind of other sugar.

You can order online from US Wellness Meats. There's one variety of Pedersons brand that is compliant, but they have others that aren't. Some people also buy pork belly and cure it themselves, or if they have a local butcher willing to do custom orders, they may get it there.

Where is this compliant bacon that everyone is talking about? Every time I pick up a package (even grassfed) bacon it lists cane sugar or some kind of other sugar.

Pederson's makes a sugar-free bacon, but it's not something my local stores consistently stock. My Whole30's are usually bacon free or we just sub in prosciutto.

I have been using pork belly and just cooking it like bacon.  I don't even cure it and it's delicious.  I'm in Canada and have had zero luck with compliant bacon.  A bit of pork belly does the trick and feels rather indulgent ;) 

Archived