Please share soup recipes!

acjohnston09

Hey. I am on week 2 of my first Whole 30 and loving it. I feel so good! I am a soup junkie and would love to make one for week 3 and 4 but would love some suggestions. Are there any go-to recipes as a newbie I might not know about? Any favorite recipes you want to share?  Thanks for the help!

I am going to alter my favorite soup to not include beans. 

Here it is:

12oz Keilbasa or (if you like it hot) Andoulli (Pardon my spelling) You will need to read labels for ingredients. 

1 Small Bay Leaf

5 Cloves of Garlic

1/2 tsp Garlic Powder

8oz Kale (I use extra because I love it)

5 Cups Broth or Stock

3 Dashes Hot Pepper Sauce

Salt and Pepper to taste

Basically all you do is throw some EVOO into a pan and cook the garlic and sausage - then dump everything else in and cook until it is done. 

• Administrators

I've decided that I am going to make soup once a week in the fall/winter.  Easy meal for me to pull together which means a more relaxed evening, warm and comforting on those cold nights and the awesome added benefit of getting in extra veggies and bone broth.  I have these three that I already make and are favourites at our house:

Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup

Golden Cauliflower Soup

Tom Kha Gai

and then found this one that sounds delicious:

Blender Mulligatawny

I'm also going to go through our "heirloom" family recipes and see what I can make compliant (meatball soup, the red clam chowder etc).

• Administrators

The zucchini soup from Well Fed 2 is to die for (I reduce cardamom by half for my tastes). It's featuring in my lunch this week since giant zucchini are in season right now!

There is no cardamom listed in the zucchini soup recipe from Well Fed (at least in the addition I have), just ginger and coriander, I wonder if she made a modification to the book along the way? (the only reason I twigged on this is because I have this soup recipe memorized, I lived on it for four weeks when I was seriously hurt last year)

There is no cardamom listed in the zucchini soup recipe from Well Fed (at least in the addition I have), just ginger and coriander, I wonder if she made a modification to the book along the way? (the only reason I twigged on this is because I have this soup recipe memorized, I lived on it for four weeks when I was seriously hurt last year)

GAH! This is what I get for not looking it up before posting. I made it as per Well Fed 2 this last time...and it was coriander. Derp.

I do 'toss in the pot soup' where I sometimes take leftover roasted veggies or raw veggies that are getting a little long in the tooth or even frozen veggies, and I chop up an onion or two, carrot and celery (1 part carrots and celery to 2 parts onion), garlic, sometimes sweet potato or butternut squash, what ever floats my boat, and cover with bone broth and cook until the veggies are soft, soft, soft and then I hit it with my handblender and blend till smooth. If I want it creamy, I add in coconut milk, and if it happens to be too thick, I thin with a bit of broth, and I season it to taste with my desired spices. 

I do carrot ginger, where it is as many carrots as I want to cook, chopped, white or yellow onion peeled and chopped, a sweet potato, sliced -- peeled or not, sliced ginger -- more than you think you would need! Bone broth to cover and bring to a boil and cook till soft. Blend up, add in desired amount of coconut milk and additional broth to thin to your desired soupiness and season with salt and pepper and additional ginger if needed. I often make a fine dice of carrot and steam separately and add in as an 'internal garnish'. 

I often toss in greens, and I add them towards the end of the soup cooking so that they don't over cook, and when the soup being blended, they are broken into small bits, so even if they are still chewy, you don't notice it in the finished soup.

I have these alongside a meal, with additional veggies, and when I have the soup with breakfast, I have been known to slide my poached eggs into the soup and eat it that way. 

• Administrators

I do 'toss in the pot soup' where I sometimes take leftover roasted veggies or raw veggies that are getting a little long in the tooth or even frozen veggies, and I chop up an onion or two, carrot and celery (1 part carrots and celery to 2 parts onion), garlic, sometimes sweet potato or butternut squash, what ever floats my boat, and cover with bone broth and cook until the veggies are soft, soft, soft and then I hit it with my handblender and blend till smooth. If I want it creamy, I add in coconut milk, and if it happens to be too thick, I thin with a bit of broth, and I season it to taste with my desired spices. 

I often wondered how this would turn out, flavour and color wise.  I was always scared to end up with gray soup that tasted bland or too random.  I'm inspired by your post and will make "toss in the pot soup" this fall!

LadyShanny -- here are a few pictures of some of the soups I have made! The first one is served alongside some ground beef and liver meatballs -- very addicting! You can do flavor combos that you like -- cauliflower with curry -- I might do that one with parsnips instead of carrots if you want a lighter colored soup, carrot ginger, tomato and basil. The bottom picture is just a chunky veggie style soup. The 3rd one has poached eggs and dill in it and the second one has chopped up meat added when serving. 

I really like the toss in the pot soups because it can really help with veggies that are getting close to the end date, and if they are a little wilted, it is easily disguised in the soup. Also, so long as you use spices and herbs that compliment each other outside the pot, they should work just fine in the pot! I even did a mushroom soup like this -- sauteed mushrooms, onion and garlic, added some carrots and celery (finely chopped) and covered with stock. Cooked until everything was soft, blended it up, added thyme, salt and pepper, and stirred in some coconut milk. While that was cooking, I sauteed up some sliced mushrooms and stirred those in at the end. Better than any canned mushroom soup! 

• Administrators

I even did a mushroom soup like this -- sauteed mushrooms, onion and garlic, added some carrots and celery (finely chopped) and covered with stock. Cooked until everything was soft, blended it up, added thyme, salt and pepper, and stirred in some coconut milk. While that was cooking, I sauteed up some sliced mushrooms and stirred those in at the end. Better than any canned mushroom soup! 

Oh, you're killing me, cream of mushroom soup is a major weakness for me, I cannot believe I've never tried to make one!  I'm planning to make a pot of soup every week this fall/winter and these ideas are excellent, thank you!!!!!!!!!

I often wondered how this would turn out, flavour and color wise.  I was always scared to end up with gray soup that tasted bland or too random.  I'm inspired by your post and will make "toss in the pot soup" this fall!

It usually turns out well!

My mom made it all the time growing up - we call it "dump" soup because that's what you do "Dump". :) Of course she did add whatever spices she wanted to help blend the flavors. :) 

mexican-gazpacho-oh-x.jpg?itok=Bv9pLujS

Portuguese Gazpacho

1 pound finely chopped, skinned and deseeded tomatoes

1 finely diced red bell pepper

1 finely diced green bell pepper

1/2 finely diced, peeled deseeded cucumber

3 pressed garlic cloves

4 Tablespoons vinegar of your choice

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1/2 tsp finely chopped oregano

Salt

Pepper

Served with celery

Add cumin if you like

Garnish with avocado

• Administrators

LadyShanny -- here are a few pictures of some of the soups I have made! The first one is served alongside some ground beef and liver meatballs -- very addicting! You can do flavor combos that you like -- cauliflower with curry -- I might do that one with parsnips instead of carrots if you want a lighter colored soup, carrot ginger, tomato and basil. The bottom picture is just a chunky veggie style soup. The 3rd one has poached eggs and dill in it and the second one has chopped up meat added when serving. 

I really like the toss in the pot soups because it can really help with veggies that are getting close to the end date, and if they are a little wilted, it is easily disguised in the soup. Also, so long as you use spices and herbs that compliment each other outside the pot, they should work just fine in the pot! I even did a mushroom soup like this -- sauteed mushrooms, onion and garlic, added some carrots and celery (finely chopped) and covered with stock. Cooked until everything was soft, blended it up, added thyme, salt and pepper, and stirred in some coconut milk. While that was cooking, I sauteed up some sliced mushrooms and stirred those in at the end. Better than any canned mushroom soup!

Spin Spin, you are the Soup Queen! Last week I realized I defrosted way more broth than I needed and my original plan was to make the Golden Cauli soup. Instead, I dumped celery, onion, carrots, cauli and 3 baby zucchinis into the stock pot with the broth and cooked until soft and blended. It was so good it was all gone in 2 days!

Tonight I decided to make the blended mushroom soup you stated above. Holy bananas!!! It is beautiful! I sauteed a sweet onion, a few stalks of celery (from the freezer stock vegetable bag, actually....poor planning), 3 carrots and about 4 cups of mushrooms. And because I detest de-leafing fresh thyme, I just tied a bunch of it into a bundle and let that simmer in the broth with the veggies. Pulled it out before blending and sort of scraped some of the leaves into the soup. Blended....stirred in your suggestion of sauteed mushrooms and coconut milk......and now I have to hire a guard to keep the hubby out of it all night!

Many thanks! If you blend up anything else delicious, be sure to let me know, I'm happy to be a soup-copy-cat! :)

I changed my MIL's recipe for butternut squash soup to make it last longer (since hers only had a quart of broth in it). So here it is:

One butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks

One pound carrots, peeled and sliced

Two onions, chopped

Three cloves garlic, minced coarse (not super crazy tiny required - this will all get blitzed later)

Approximately 3 quarts of broth/stock

Nut milk or coconut milk for making it creamy (or could use additional broth/stock)

Cooking fat, salt, pepper, nutmeg

I sauteed the onions and garlic with salt and pepper in the cooking fat until they were evenly translucent, then added the carrots and continued to sautee for another 3-4 minutes. Added the squash and broth and covered the pan. I boiled the heck out of it - my carrots were stubborn and didn't want to get fork soft (keeping it covered unless I was stirring). Once everything was soft I let it cool a few minutes then added almond milk and used my immersion blender to puree it. Once it was mostly smooth I sprinkled in nutmeg and some more salt (I'm in my 5th month of pregnancy and walk to work in August uphill...I need salt! Liberally salting my food has stopped the really bad muscle tremor/spasm/fluttery things I was having) and gave it a final blitz with the blender.

I have 5 jars with somewhere between 1 cup and 1.5 cups of this for lunch every day this week.

Last week I made tomato soup with http://fooddoodles.com/2012/02/24/simple-tomato-soup/that recipe for my lunch veggies (so much easier for me to eat pureed soups than raw veggies right now).

• 2 weeks later...

This one is my favorite, and SO easy...

You will need...

4 C coursley chopped carrots (don't bother to peel them) or butternut squash (or both if that strikes your fancy)

2 boxes Imagine (or another compliant) chicken broth

1 can coconut milk

Throw broth and veggies in a soup pot and boil untill the veggies are very tender. Transfer veggies with a slotted spoon to a blender, and add a small amount of broth (you can add more as you need to, but you can't subtract it, so don't add a lot to start). Also add a large TBSP of coconut milk. Blend. Add more broth if it's too thick, or more coconut milk if you want it creamier. It should end up like thin baby food. Season with S&P. Enjoy! Also, you will want to up the protein to make this a complete meal, so I would suggest topping with a handful of diced and cooked compliable pancetta, or dicing and cooking some Aidelle's chicken and apple sausage and adding it just before serving. Also great seasoned with curry :)

Tonight I decided to make the blended mushroom soup you stated above. Holy bananas!!! It is beautiful! I sauteed a sweet onion, a few stalks of celery (from the freezer stock vegetable bag, actually....poor planning), 3 carrots and about 4 cups of mushrooms. And because I detest de-leafing fresh thyme, I just tied a bunch of it into a bundle and let that simmer in the broth with the veggies. Pulled it out before blending and sort of scraped some of the leaves into the soup. Blended....stirred in your suggestion of sauteed mushrooms and coconut milk......and now I have to hire a guard to keep the hubby out of it all night!

For those pesky leaves there is a neat tool my Grandma gave me - Put the stem in and pull. All the leaves fall right into a little bowl! It's awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-102-566-201-Zipstrip-Herb-Stripper/dp/B00GOEKM22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441226866&sr=8-2&keywords=herb+tool 

• Administrators

For those pesky leaves there is a neat tool my Grandma gave me - Put the stem in and pull. All the leaves fall right into a little bowl! It's awesome!

http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-102-566-201-Zipstrip-Herb-Stripper/dp/B00GOEKM22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441226866&sr=8-2&keywords=herb+tool 

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!  I just bought one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's this one though: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61agf8fAe5L._SX522_.jpg so no little bowl but it works awesome!!!!! 

All the soups in Well Fed 2 are delicious!! the golden cauliflower soup...I would be lying to say I didn't have dreams about it sometimes, ha! When I'm doing the whole30 I really miss pho if I ever get sick, so I created a whole30 version of pho with zucchini noodles and pulled pork! Here's the recipe if you want to check it out :) http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/zucchini-pulled-pork-pho/

• 1 month later...

I've been making a similar soup that I've always called a "dump soup" - just dump in what I have. It's helped me learn more about spices as I ever so gently experiment; in the beginning I was a little heavy handed. You know, if a little is good, more must be better. MISTAKE! What's new for me is having it as a breakfast drink in addition to my other vegs. It helps ease the pain of no more farmers markets.

Archived