Whole 30 and Baby Led Weaning

mariah_papaya

Ummmmm so this is a major side benefit of Whole 30. Baby girl is almost 10 months, and we're doing Baby-Led Weaning which has been an awesome AWESOME exerience (if you don't know what blw is, it's basically skipping the "mush" and cereal and just giving them whole, real, food to feed themselves). I'm loving how well Whole 30 meshes with BLW. I can give girlie ANYTHING we're eating, because it's ALL healthy, whole, real food. Before, we'd eat pretty well, but once in awhile have pizza or something so I'd have to cook something on the side for the baby. Which is just weird, really, like if it's not healthy enough to give the baby ,why are we eating it anyways?! But now it is a piece of cake, because I'm eating 100% healthy, whole real food every single meal. 

This is good to know! I'm expecting my first in January and have been planning on doing this with him/her. I'm working on upping my veggies again after getting hit really hard with meat/veggie aversions during the first trimester and knowing that little Twig (hey, hubby and I are known as the 'Sticks' so Twig works, right?) is getting real food and real flavors even now, and will grow up with it later too.

What did you start with on BLW?

I can't recommend it enough, MrsStick!! It is such an awesome way to expose babies to a variety of flavours. And because she's in control (instead of us shoving it in her mouth) she'll try absolutely anything. This morning we enjoyed spicy italian sausage, mushroom pepper omelette, avocado, fresh tomato and grapes. She scarfed it down! She'll also eat curried chicken, dolmades, sushi, whatever we give her. I always knew I'd be devastated if my kid turned out picky, because I love gourmet food. Her first food was a broccoli tree! Shortly followed by scrambled eggs, yam fries, pork tenderloin, cucumbers, etc. The only rule is "no honey before 1", and literally anything else is fine, except obvious choking hazards like whole cherry tomatoes. The grandmas were both horrified until they see how well she eats, at 10 months using her own spoon and everything! I really recommend reading the book "Baby Led Weaning" you can find it on Amazon :) Congrats on the baby Twig and good luck!

Oh and I totally hear ya on the meat/veggie aversions in the first tri! The only thing I could get down was toasted English Muffins and gingerale, for MONTHS! The smell of chicken would make me projectile EVERYWHERE (no wonder I gained 50lbs with her, hahaah). Don't sweat it. 

A baby who eats all kinds of flavors of stuff sounds amazing, after watching friends' kids only eat five foods (mac and cheese, applesauce, chicken nuggets, etc.) I just...don't want that. There are certain foods that I'm really not a fan of (though some of that right now is probably more of an aversion thing that I just don't realize) but very little that I actually can't stand. I can definitely see the grandmas being horrified though. Even with my niece, in the pictures/videos I've seen it's obvious that she likes being able to feed herself her foods but whenever my sister gives her a spoon of something (even if it's just mashed up bananas that are the exact same as the ones my niece was feeding herself earlier) she just makes faces and spits it out.

My aversions were slightly less specific so I could have mashed potato/potato chips and GF bread/pretzels/cereal/mac and cheese for two or three weeks but they've opened up to at least allow fruit from about week 10 on. And now I can do meats as long as they aren't beef roast (something about seeing the grain of the meat) or bacon/eggs that I have to cook (totally fine to eat if hubby cooks it) and pureed veggie soups are fabulous in my 2nd trimester. I still don't like eating a lot of meat but, thanks to my Whole 30s, I know what I can and can't have right now since my body is still picky. However, upping my veggies has kept my digestion from getting sluggish like all of the pregnancy books talk about and I haven't had any *ahem* digestive issues other than the occasional day after a low-veggie day.

Giant bonus: managed to cook a ton of compliant stuff (except for one thing) yesterday while hubby was working so I have a bunch of good options this week. My work schedule shifted for this week and next so I will be eating dinner at the office so now I kind of have to eat them. Veggie-filled and good for me...my stomach will be happy!

My 4 year old has a pretty broad palate -- his first food was avocado, and then on to zucchini, broccoli, sweet potato and on and on. We only tried cereal once and he spat it out, and we never tried it again. He has never had a bowl of cereal or oatmeal and I am not really sure he would even know what to do with it! I did Primal while pregnant with him -- and before -- we really think that changing up our diet from the SAD to Primal allowed us to get pregnant. We had tried for 6 years with no success, switched to Primal and boom, 3 months later, we were pregnant! But anyway, we did delayed feeding, starting him later rather than sooner and we made all his own food. I tried to give him a jarred something -- can't even remember what it was now -- when we were visiting family and he refused it. 

But he eats pork chops and roast, bbq'ed tri tip and chicken, grilled corn --he will eat two FULL ears at a sitting -- when I bbq during the summer, I do corn for hubby and him, but he won't eat corn off the cob, only on the cob, shrimp, tomatoes, berries of all sorts, full fat plain yogurt, raw mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes... just about everything we give him, except eggs. He watched a show about birds and saw baby birds hatching out of eggs in a nest, made the connection that baby birds come from eggs and won't touch them because there might be a baby bird inside. His range of foods really surprises his dr, and she is amazed at the range of things he will eat. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't discover the whole30 until my kids were older, but we did BLW with my younger child and she is a much more adventurous eater than her older brother.  I'm not sure if it's entirely attributable to the BLW (her brother is also on the Spectrum, etc.) or just different kids and personalities, but I can certainly tell you that if I have another one, BLW all the way.  For sure.  :)

Archived