Duck fat - when should I use it?

Kate File

Well I am at day 23 and all is going well. Then I realised I have not even opened the jar of duck fat that I bought in my preparations. I have just used ghee, coconut oil and a bit of olive oil. Of course there is a bit a reluctance on my part as the idea of using duck fat is kinda gross, but that is my old school thinking. I need to get with the program on duck fat. Any suggestions?

In the frypan I fry my eggs, sausages, salmon, chicken pieces, lamb (for lamb rogan josh), prosciutto. I love to toss my carrots, parsnips and sweet potato in coconut oil and spices and roast in oven.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duck fat is fabulous. I love the flavor. It's stronger than chicken fat, but I think possibly using it for chicken would be a good introduction. I'd tell you to take a small taste, but it might put you off. It's delicious, but stronger than the other fats you are using. Think bacon fat/ghee, but poultry flavor. I am SO not doing a good job of explaining it.

Robin, a whole duck should get you about three or four cups of duck fat. Another option to start with would be to cook duck breast, using a baster to draw down the fat or pouring out the fat as you go - that should get you enough to cook with for a little while and won't be as much of a hit to the food budget.

Duck fat... to be used all day every day... I sometimes will bathe in it it's so good (not really, but can you imagine how great that'd be) :)

Picking up some duck breasts this weekend and going to cook my brussels sprouts in duck fact since I can't find whole30 approved bacon, even at my local wholefoods.

Also, what is the best way to store duck fat? As inconspicuously as possible too, because if my wife finds out I'm hoarding fat and then cooking with it, she may cry (True story).

Archived