Duck fat - when should I use it?

Kate File

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tuber. I had misspelled it: yuca aka cassava. Kumera looks more like a sweet potato which will probably be sweeter/softer but will make delicious fries.

Ah I'm always hearing kumera in masterchef australia (just started here - no spoliers!) and wondered exactly what it was.

I saw it at Williams Sonoma this weekend if anyone has one close by. Must be seasonal. It's the same as the one on Amazon and compliant. I was put off a bit by it but after reading all the posts I might just have to get a jar while I can for safe keeping!

I saw it at Williams Sonoma this weekend if anyone has one close by. Must be seasonal. It's the same as the one on Amazon and compliant. I was put off a bit by it but after reading all the posts I might just have to get a jar while I can for safe keeping!

Ooo...I'll stop by there and compare the price before I order it.

Ok friends! My local shop gave me 15% off my duck (I'm one of their best customers, lol, so I get perks). Now, how the heck to I render that fat?!

Oh you lucky duck. :) You just put it in a pan on low to med/low heat and watch it melt. Is it attached to skin? If it is, you will end up with the crispiest most wonderful skin in the world!! If it is attached to skin, kinda keep your eye on it so the skin doesn't burn because that will ruin the flavor of it.

ETA: Here's a link that shows you how to do it using water. I remember my friends mom always used this method to make schmaltz (rendered chicken fat).

http://www.sugarlaws.com/how-to-render-duck-fat

Robin, are you cooking on gas or electric? It's MUCH easier to control the temp of the fat with gas. I have electric right now, so it requires a little more attention than if I could leave the gas flame barely on and come back every now and then to stir.

Don't just plop all the fat in the pan as is, or it will probably take FOREVER to render down. chopping it into smaller bits helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like both of us are in Australia so probably not much help to you. I can get it from my local supermarket chain. Or save the duck fat after I've cooked duck.

Hi there, is this the stuff you can buy near the duck in Coles? What is the brand?

thanks

Homer-

I just did it Sunday, and Im not sure if I did it right, but I got about 10 oz!

I roasted the duck in the oven for a couple hours, scored the skin, flipped it, roasted it some more. Then, when we carved it, we pulled all the skin off and added everything to a large pot to render down further.

I basted our eggplant in it for lunch with the duck, but I'm waiting to roast some veg in it this week!

Yes! Also asparagus, but its really expensive right now :0(

In other news, people think I'm weird bc I crave fat drenched green veg.

LOL..I just walked up to New Seasons and picked up my duck fat and pork belly from Kookoolan farms (bought it at the farmer's market, but they didn't have it then and there) and duck fat is simmering and I'm staring at the pork belly. It's pastured pork, so I'm trying to figure out how to save every last drip of fat from it. My 27 yo daughter is rolling her eyes..gently..she can't wait to eat the pork belly. :)

Archived